Notices

power question....

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2015, 05:21 PM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power question....

right guys and girls ts time i started to look for a bit more power, jst too used to it as it is,
current spec is

std td04 turbo,
yellow injectors,
apexi avcr boost controller,
full 2.5 decat system from turbo back

looking to get 300 ish safe and usable and decent torque,

have a deal done provisionally for a power fc ecu, what will i need to run my goal figure??

I know ill need a new turbo i was thinking something like a vf29 looking for something with not too much lag i also have a fmic there to fit but in two minds about that at the moment

and of corse to map it, but was going to wait til i have all bits together and throw them on and map it all in one go

I know ill need an uprated fuel pump i also have an ADJ fpr there too sitting on the bench

any info greatly appreciated
Old 10 June 2015, 06:39 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd suggest you do a few searches on here mate, this is the sort of question that has been asked a fair few times and there are already some good answers.

I would personally go:
- ESL daughterboard (not power fc) for open source mapping - gives you more options too as not everyone will do power fc
- TD05-16G, vf28 or similar - the 16g's are a little more bullet proof than the IHI series
- If you're fitting bits, do not drive the car on boost until you have it mapped - or preferable and safer - just fit them all at once and then go have it mapped rather than fitting pieces and driving it hard - because you'll likely end up with a poorly engine - seen way too many people try the hard way and end up with a rebuild - don't believe the BS on here of "I fitted a front mount and massive turbo and it was fine" - it's the same crowd who believe ECU's are "self aware" .....

Injector wise not sure with classics - on a newage I'd say a set of STI pink injectors would be fine, but anything flowing about 440 or above should be enough to get you to 300 I'd have thought. Check with one of the mappers like Dynamix, Andy Forrest, Andy Carr or Bob to name a few.

You won't need a FMIC for 300bhp and the car will probably drive better with a decent top mount.
Not sure you'll need an uprated FPR either, speak to a mapper about it.
3 port boost solenoid will help and a 255lph Walbro should complete the package.
Oh and a decent inlet hose as the standard plastic one will probably tear when you remove it.

Think that's about it.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 10 June 2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10 June 2015, 07:42 PM
random rs
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
I'd suggest you do a few searches on here mate, this is the sort of question that has been asked a fair few times and there are already some good answers.

I would personally go:
- ESL daughterboard (not power fc) for open source mapping - gives you more options too as not everyone will do power fc
- TD05-16G, vf28 or similar - the 16g's are a little more bullet proof than the IHI series
- If you're fitting bits, do not drive the car on boost until you have it mapped - or preferable and safer - just fit them all at once and then go have it mapped rather than fitting pieces and driving it hard - because you'll likely end up with a poorly engine - seen way too many people try the hard way and end up with a rebuild - don't believe the BS on here of "I fitted a front mount and massive turbo and it was fine" - it's the same crowd who believe ECU's are "self aware" .....

Injector wise not sure with classics - on a newage I'd say a set of STI pink injectors would be fine, but anything flowing about 440 or above should be enough to get you to 300 I'd have thought. Check with one of the mappers like Dynamix, Andy Forrest, Andy Carr or Bob to name a few.

You won't need a FMIC for 300bhp and the car will probably drive better with a decent top mount.
Not sure you'll need an uprated FPR either, speak to a mapper about it.
3 port boost solenoid will help and a 255lph Walbro should complete the package.
Oh and a decent inlet hose as the standard plastic one will probably tear when you remove it.

Think that's about it.
cheers dude appreciated i was thinking long them lines, injector wise im certain they are 440, wasnt sure on he turbo mainly, my plan is to fit them all and then drive to get mapped as i have a guy who can map power fc about 15 minutes away from where i live as im pretty sure ESL isnt available for my car, its a 99 rb5/ gt series II at least as of when i messaged them a while back, didnt wanna fit the fmic tbh and i have a classic sti top mont on it as is also have a steel y pipe and samco elbow on it....
Old 11 June 2015, 10:56 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

yeah ESL isnt available for newer classics yet i believe. I ran a apexi as i got 3 local mappers who can do it and relatively quick too

I just took my apexi out tho as returning the car back to standard to sell it