Notices

Uneven disc wear and brake judder.

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2015, 12:58 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven disc wear and brake judder.

Hi all

Me again, sorry to keep pestering you all, but I seem to be having one issue after another getting this car back on the road!

I took all of your advice and I've now had all of the fluids changed and I decided to also get the brakes done at the same time.

I don't have much spare cash left so I went with Padgid pads and discs all around until I can afford better ones and I also had the brake fluid changed.
The mechanic who took the old discs off showed me the front ones, just to show me how bad they were.
Both left and right front discs had uneven wear on the inside of the discs, essentially there was about a 1cm gap on the outside edge and a 1cm gap on the inside that wasn't being touched by the pad.
So, he changed them and I took the car out for a drive last night.
At speeds over 40mph when braking the car shakes like a ****ting dog and when I got home, I noticed that there's now uneven wear on the outside of the drivers side disc, there's a 1.5cm gap on the outside edge of the disc where the pad isn't touching.

It seems odd that the old discs had weird wear on the insides and now one of the new ones is having similar issues on the outside this time, does anyone have any ideas what's going on please?

Cheers

Jay

The pic below, isn't my actual disc, I found it on the net, but it's very similar to what both of the inside of my old front discs looked like.

Uneven disc wear <br/>

Last edited by yammer5; 09 June 2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12 June 2015, 12:02 PM
yammer5
Scooby Regular

So, my mechanic says he thinks the calipers are fine and it's got the correct discs and pads on, but it's still juddering and wearing unevenly.
Had anyone got any thoughts please.

Cheers
Old 12 June 2015, 01:36 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

I know you say the mechanic said he thinks the calipers are ok but did he check the operation of the pistons as it looks like theyre jamming . How old is the car ?
Old 12 June 2015, 01:42 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add. Had very similar marks myself on my 2000t rear disc thoough. Turned out it was seized piston
Old 12 June 2015, 03:36 PM
has-scooby
Scooby Regular

hi mate the discs in that picture I see on a very regular basis happens to cars that don't get used often and left standing for very long periods. I also noticed you put pagid pads and discs all round which the discs always come painted and feels weird on the pedal until the contact area wears off. take a picture off current look and post