Notices

New owner troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2015, 09:14 PM
Anderj26
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner troubles

Hello all, new to the forum and have tried to search and use google to help me out to a certain extent.

I only got my impreza 2001 wrx on friday. Gave it a polish and left it over the weekend in my garage. When i got it on the friday it was driving perfect. Sounded good. Checked for all the obvious things, ran it up to temp ect, topped up the oil a little as was halfway on the dipstick.
After the weekend i Started it up and parked it outside and everythig was fine. Went to put it back in the garage and when accelerating i can hear a rattle between 1500rpm and 3000rpm.

I think it has the dreaded knock.

Now i have stripped the timing down to check the tensioner and it has the old type. So i take it they arnt probe to making the knocking noise. The idlers are shot. Ordered a new timing belt kit as soon as i bought the car just because i had no proof that it was ever done and the vehicle had done 82k on it.

Now if i do need a new engine i have been offered a v3 engine. It only had one head as the owner needed a head for his rally car.

Can i use this block and use my heads and ancillaries?

I have researched and i think i need 1.6mm head gaskets to run my heads? Is this true?

Thanks

James
Old 05 May 2015, 07:47 PM
buxtonous
Scooby Regular

how far did you drive it before it started knocking?
you seem very open minded seeing as a car you've owned for days may need a new engine?!
Old 05 May 2015, 09:16 PM
Anderj26
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by buxtonous
how far did you drive it before it started knocking?
you seem very open minded seeing as a car you've owned for days may need a new engine?!

Hello,

I drove it less than 10meters. It was just outside my garage so put it back in onto the ramp.

I certainly dont want to change the engine but since it was a private sale ect i have no way of giving the car back or that so i have to accept it is knocking. And if it needs and engine i will just have to change it. By the looks of things its had an engine at some point as everything is already marked up before i started stripping.

I am a mechanic by trade so can do all the work myself to a certain extent.

I have been busy busy tonight stripping down the engine ready to remove it tomorrow morning. I took the sump off and didnt find any nasty bits of metal or filings. Which supprised me. I cant seem to get any play in the rods.

So tomorrow i am going to get the engine onto my stand and start stripping it all down. And hopefully find out why its knocking.

Thanks

James
Old 05 May 2015, 09:21 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Probably hearing a slight bit of piston slap, rather common, nothing extreme, and no need to change engine for.

If the knock disappears after that point then as you know it's unlikely to be big ends, they tend to get louder with speed and rattle like hell when left off the throttle.

Would ask you to post a video but gathering you've already got it in bits. Google piston slap and watch a few vids see if it sounds similar.

Light rattles may be small ends but it's not a common thing that by all accounts.
Old 05 May 2015, 09:41 PM
Anderj26
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Probably hearing a slight bit of piston slap, rather common, nothing extreme, and no need to change engine for.

If the knock disappears after that point then as you know it's unlikely to be big ends, they tend to get louder with speed and rattle like hell when left off the throttle.

Would ask you to post a video but gathering you've already got it in bits. Google piston slap and watch a few vids see if it sounds similar.

Light rattles may be small ends but it's not a common thing that by all accounts.
Hello,

First of all thankyou for being so helpful and replying quickly.

I youtubed a few of subaru piston slap and mine sounds nothing near as bad as that.

You cant hear anything at idle but as you gradually increase the revs this knocking starts but its not like a low down knock. More like a tiny person hitting a hammer of the inside of the turbo.

I havent took the heads of the engine and if i dont find any evidence of damage i am going to leave them on. I have found a few oil leaks, rocker cover,cam seals and sump so will still take the engine out and fix them along with fitting a new timing belt kit, waterpump and Spark plugs.

Do you think i should try a thicker oil perhaps? See if that helps my noise?

I eventually want the engine to be well looked after and maintained so going to do everything i can to do it right first time.

Thanks again

James
Old 05 May 2015, 10:21 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Sure it's just not the boost solenoid clicking
Old 05 May 2015, 10:36 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

**I don't mean to sound as if I'm telling you to suck eggs in any way shape or form here **

If you put it all together and it's still the same ask someone who is familiar with the engines to cast a trained ear over it, most with good knowledge can tell you what it is off the bat. They can make some silly noises that get people worried.

If you don't think it's bottom bearings or piston slap and it's definitely a mechanical noise then maybe small ends are rattling if it's from the bottom end and it's a light metallic noise . Stick a stethoscope on it if you can get your hands on one to try and pinpoint where the noise is originating from.

How far do or did you intend to take it apart.

Thicker oil can help quieten piston slap as well but oil grade is entirely at your own peril on here , what oil is in there out of interest?

Last edited by Infected by sti; 05 May 2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05 May 2015, 11:44 PM
Anderj26
Scooby Newbie

Hello,

It's definately not a sensor/solenoid type noise. There is only two things i have found out of the regular so far on the strip down, one is the power steering metal pipes that sit along the turbo side were missing a few rubbers which i suppose could be making the metal to metal rattle im hearing. And the other is the starter motor pinion i can move with the gery littlest of force and it springs back and forth a few times. Just feels very weak.

I completely understand what you are saying, and i am by no means an expert and am always willing to learn.

There was a few oil leaks on the engine so i had to take it out to do anyway i guess and its not that big a job to take the engine out and keeps me busy anyway.

I will put the new timing belt on tomorrow, do the rocker cover seals and the cam seal and then drop it back in. I will do a full service on it since i have the bits anyway and then start it up and see if the noise is still there so i can take a video so you can hear what i can hear.

There is a guy who rallies subarus about 5 minutes away from me who has been a big help as im new to these engines.

Thankyou all for your help and replys. I will put it all back together tomorrow and let you know once its back up and running and if the noise is still there.
Thanks

James
Old 05 May 2015, 11:48 PM
Anderj26
Scooby Newbie

Ohh and im not entirely sure what oil was in there. certainly wasnt new oil anyway.

I topped up the level a little with 5w 30

But i think i will try some decent 10-40 when i do the service just to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

James
Old 08 May 2015, 05:08 PM
Anderj26
Scooby Newbie

Hello

Engine is back in, New timing belt , waterpump and all idlers and the tensioner is on and fresh oil and filter.

I have put everything back on properly as i had marked as much as possible on removal.

There is only one pipe which is starting to do my head in. Its a little roughly 10mm pipe which is about 8inches long that is connected at the back of the n/s inlet manifold. I have moved it around and cant find where it goes into. One end is connected to a black plastic box atached to either the back of the head/inlet inlet manifold. There is an electrical connecter there so must do something. I havent got a picture but when i go back up tonight i will try and get one. Its an awkward place to get at but hopefully someone will know where it goes.

Thanks

James