unequal length headers from equal length

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2015, 06:57 PM
tomo21
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unequal length headers from equal length

Hi al

sorry if this has been done before but i cant find anything for my 2006 hawkeye 2.0 R sport 160bhp

basically what i am looking to achieve is the subaru burble for a non turbo
but i dont want anything to loud,

can i change to just unequal length headers without changing the rest of the exhaust and get the burble?
or do you need a full new exhaust system?

i like that mine isn't loud and goes by without causing to much of a scene but i would like a little bit of the Subaru noise

also i read it makes the bhp less is this correct?, and if so how much would be lost from 158bhp?

is it worth it?
Old 11 April 2015, 07:59 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Best way to get that noise is to buy a WRX/Sti turbo
Old 11 April 2015, 09:00 PM
tomo21
Scooby Newbie

haha iknow but cost and insurance is a no go at the moment
eventually i will have one
Old 12 April 2015, 01:33 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure they would fit.

Things to take into consideration would be the sump design being compatible. And the fact that a turbo car has an up pipe after the manifold and the sport does not so the turbo manifold might not meet up with the sport centre section.

Also the lambda sensors may be in different locations and May actuality be different sensors.

The sport has it's main cat built into the manifold. Not sure if the hawk turbo cars do too? If you start changing cats around you will get a management light which is an mot fail. Also the sport ecu cannot as far as I am aware have fault codes deleted permanently....

Obviously it's all possible but it may not be easy!

Also it will not give any more performance. If anything you will loose power.

I think your best get would be to try and find a company who makes them specifically for the sport if they exist?

Back on classic sports it was probably easier but the sport R's are a bit more technology heavy.

Last edited by FMJ; 12 April 2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12 April 2015, 05:09 PM
tomo21
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by FMJ
Not sure they would fit.

Things to take into consideration would be the sump design being compatible. And the fact that a turbo car has an up pipe after the manifold and the sport does not so the turbo manifold might not meet up with the sport centre section.

Also the lambda sensors may be in different locations and May actuality be different sensors.

The sport has it's main cat built into the manifold. Not sure if the hawk turbo cars do too? If you start changing cats around you will get a management light which is an mot fail. Also the sport ecu cannot as far as I am aware have fault codes deleted permanently....

Obviously it's all possible but it may not be easy!

Also it will not give any more performance. If anything you will loose power.

I think your best get would be to try and find a company who makes them specifically for the sport if they exist?

Back on classic sports it was probably easier but the sport R's are a bit more technology heavy.

sounds like a hassle then, i do love the car had it about three week so if i could get the subaru noise then great but if id have to wait till i could afford a wrx/sti then i wouldnt be that bothered either

also is there any gains to be had with performance with these cars? currently 158bhp
Old 12 April 2015, 05:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

manifold on a new age sport is totaly different shape, i woudl guess same with the R sport,
Old 12 April 2015, 07:11 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

There is no real point doing anything to a sport R. Just enjoy it for what it is. The main thing that makes imprezas so tuneable is that they have turbos. Without a turbo you are down to things like cams, flowing heads, valve work etc. Also maybe induction stuff. But it's an untested area as nobody bothers. There are not many parts available and even if you spent hundreds on tuning it you are probably looking at a tiny increase in bhp. Also any changes would probably upset the ecu and from what I have read the sport R ecus are difficult if not impossible to do much with.

Just keep the revs high (all the power is high up) when you want spirited driving and enjoy the grip. You could maybe fit decent brakes which will help or suspension stuff. Keep the old bits and swap back when you sell so you can either sell the bits again or add them to another car if you get another impreza.
Old 12 April 2015, 10:13 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to buy some unequal length headers for the non turbo from USA, last time I heard they were about £200

the turbo has a 2.5" system and won't fit, the non turbo is a 2" system

I've seen and heard a few 2.0 non turbos with the unequal length and they sound loads better. you will be restricted with the exhaust choices too, the 2.5" or 3" turbo ones can be picked up 2nd hand cheaply/easily, tried and (if you don't like it) sold for a similar amount, not sure how many 2" cat backs are available
Old 12 April 2015, 10:54 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

I'm fairly sure the 2.0R front cat is part of the manifold along with the two lambda holes. So do these manifolds come with a cat? If not you will have an ecu light and the problems I have said above.

However I may be wrong about the cat... But the last one I looked at did look to be joined to the manifold with a lambda each side.
Old 15 April 2015, 05:40 PM
tomo21
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the reply, i think i will just enjoy it for what it is, it is great drive and the AWD is amazing be a shame if anything goes wrong with me changing bits