Notices

Downforce and aero?!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2015, 08:03 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downforce and aero?!

Who is running aero which actually works?!
I am looking at modify my track car to have a flat floor, diffuser etc. Has anyone done any research and development into the best methods on a classic?

Very keen to find some time attack style classics.
Old 17 March 2015, 03:01 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you seen andy forrests car he has some huge spoilers he uses for totb

i would imagine he has a diffuser aswell

its probably worth looking at abwmotorsport for the diffuser but the work involved in fitting it is extensive , removal of the spare wheel well etc. its not clear either if it would actually make any differance as it doesnt run from the front to the back from what i can tell from the pictures on there site.

the idea behind the diffuser is that the air running under the car moves quicker than the air above and that sucks the car down onto the road , so the underside has to be as smooth flowing as possable all along the car, also the angles etc where it lifts at the rear are specific , done right it should help downforce created by the rear spoiler aswell

i looked into it a while back just out of interest and im in no way an expert but i understand the basics .the diffuser isnt an easy thing to get right , it has to be correct angles etc and surprisingly it also works in conjunction with the rear spoiler .

you really need to find someone that has tried and tested one in wind tunnels ect or you could be wasting a lot of money,

another thought is using the exhaust to create a blown diffuser , vortex thingy majig, i cant remember exactly the details but f1 cars use or used to use that system it might have been banned .

Last edited by gary77; 17 March 2015 at 03:08 PM.