Drive shaft or drive shaft!?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2015, 05:53 PM
Tommykite
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive shaft or drive shaft!?

Hi

Earlier this week on the way to work I had a drive shaft failure, it sucked!

My question is should I get a second had one on here, there are a few about or I found this new one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1711840000...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's suppose to have 2 years war entry etc

What ya think?

Cheers Tom
Old 05 March 2015, 05:58 PM
Tommykite
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please could a mod move this to drive train section? Sorry I have clearly posted in the wrong place!

My bad
Old 05 March 2015, 10:32 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom

Really I would speak with Matty@MB Developments,driveshaft failure are,but they're mostly done when you using the car on drag strip,but there usually diff will go sooner than driveshafts.We have run OE WRX driveshafts at 555.5bhp and 520lb-ft or with NOS are we are never have any issue with driveshafts there,due this I wouldn't use above driveshafts as they're bit unknown and I've never used them on my car

Hope this helps there and hope you will get sorted the car soon

Good luck

Thanks,Jura
Old 08 March 2015, 01:55 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I've just fitted one of their driveshafts to mine on the the NS front as mine was clunking like a good'un. Quality seems decent, it turned up next day by DPD and it's cheap. Some cars (ST Focus springs to mind) seem to dislike these driveshafts going by some online comments but any issues seem either car specific or the usual forum cliques jumping on the bandwagon.

Granted I've only done 1k on it but the only issues I could find any comments on hinted that it's more balancing or fit rather than long term longevity and therefore I'd be surprised if there was an issue. At the end of the day if it last two years and then fails I'd still be inclined to buy another one from them at that price rather than buy an unknown used one...

Also, they include a new nut and roll pin (minor, but a nice to have). If you're reasonably adept with spanners you should have it swapped out within 40 minutes - I split the strut from the hub but you can also do the lower balljoint (I have markings on the strut to keep the geo static), knocked out the roll pin and then the whole lot just pulled out. Oh, and it's a 32mm nut for the driveshaft into the hub.

Last edited by ST-X; 08 March 2015 at 01:58 PM.