Cold start problems

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2015, 10:19 AM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start problems

Hi all hoping someone can help me out.

My car is really struggling to start first thing in the morning. It cranks over but just doesn't fire up. I have to tap my foot on the accelerator to get it to fire up which takes ages.
When it does fire up there is a strong smell of fuel and it really limps on.

When its been idling for a few mins its fine, andif I turn it off then start it up again it will startup perfectly, it just seems to be the cold start after being sat overnight.

I have got a new Coolant temp sensor on order as I've read they can also cause this.

Any other suggestions? Car was mapped recently with the sc42 and full decat, but everything seemed fine then.
Old 06 February 2015, 01:15 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 06 February 2015, 01:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The classics had an ecu which doesn't tolerate any touching of the throttle at all for cold starts. Even catching it when getting in, caused mine to flood..and refuse to start.

Try that first.

If not, get a diagnostic done.

How old is the battery too? get battery voltage checked.
Old 06 February 2015, 01:30 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

I've had the battery tested and all was ok.
I have made sure I haven't touched the throttle when starting but it just seems to crank over and not fire so after a while I gave a tap on the accelerator and it just about fired up. After that it was fine it just seems to be when left over night. Pre map it was fine and started on the button so im just waiting to hear back from mapper to see if there's anything he can think of.

CTS arriving in next few days so will see if that helps at all.
Old 06 February 2015, 01:54 PM
Peakie
Scooby Regular

Hi, I had exactly same problem on my blobeye sti, it was fitted with md321t and pe injectors and alcatek since then it played up starting from standing over night,even in the summer it was the same, was probably worse when it's been standing in the summer sun all day. Few people said could be injectors so last February I changed them to asnu injectors, jgm came out and mapped it and to start with it was just the same and jgm could only get it started with the throttle right down whilst cranking but then he adjusted the cold start mixture or something so basically it wasn't putting in as much petrol when cold starting. It's been fine ever since and starts first time nearly every time now, and doesn't stink of petrol once started. Don't know if this helps or not.?
Old 06 February 2015, 02:01 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peakie
Hi, I had exactly same problem on my blobeye sti, it was fitted with md321t and pe injectors and alcatek since then it played up starting from standing over night,even in the summer it was the same, was probably worse when it's been standing in the summer sun all day. Few people said could be injectors so last February I changed them to asnu injectors, jgm came out and mapped it and to start with it was just the same and jgm could only get it started with the throttle right down whilst cranking but then he adjusted the cold start mixture or something so basically it wasn't putting in as much petrol when cold starting. It's been fine ever since and starts first time nearly every time now, and doesn't stink of petrol once started. Don't know if this helps or not.?
Interesting as this is exactly how mine is behaving.
Just waiting to hear back from mapper and will see what's what.
Many thanks dude.
Old 06 February 2015, 05:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mapper needs to see it stone cold to do any good then.
Old 10 February 2015, 04:23 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Weirdly enough the cars been sat for 3 days and it started perfectly...and didn't smell of fuel either.

Not sure if its because its not as cold today?
Old 10 February 2015, 07:11 PM
Peakie
Scooby Regular

Yeah bit strange, mine played up even if I left it a few days, I'd try and start it and it would crank but nothing then second/third crank it would start and this was what ever the weather/temp outside.Hope you get it sorted buddy I'd still get it looked at by your mapper after it's been left over night and not tried to be started though.