Neutral Position Switch

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2015, 08:28 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral Position Switch

Hi all

Literally on the brink of finally having the WRX fitted with the relevant parts to be mapped to around 280bhp (hopefully)

I have heard a few stories of the neutral position switching causing issues during the map and I'm wondering whether it is worth buying one as a "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" approach...opinions?
Old 29 January 2015, 09:13 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

Do you know if the switch has gone? You will normally suffer with stuttery acceleration or the feeling of no turbo. I had mine mapped with a dodgy nps as i didn't know it had gone until it flashed up on the mappers laptop. I then replaced it afterwards as it only cost £50 for a new one, the big cost for me was the gearbox being dropped out to change it but thats on a 2003 sti. I think the wrx is on the side of the gearbox and an easy diy job.
Old 29 January 2015, 09:25 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI8Dave
Do you know if the switch has gone? You will normally suffer with stuttery acceleration or the feeling of no turbo. I had mine mapped with a dodgy nps as i didn't know it had gone until it flashed up on the mappers laptop. I then replaced it afterwards as it only cost £50 for a new one, the big cost for me was the gearbox being dropped out to change it but thats on a 2003 sti. I think the wrx is on the side of the gearbox and an easy diy job.
Couldn't say to be perfectly honest, it is sometimes jumpy on acceleration but I put that down to 'operator error' turbo always kicks in but I just don't want to drag Duncan all the way to me for him to find the switch is buggered
Old 29 January 2015, 09:27 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

It was Duncan that mapped mine. He said it was fine to map with it faulty so you don't need to worry there matey
Old 29 January 2015, 09:34 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Ah that's OK then, I'm going for a road map as I just personally think it is better than dyno and not looking to chase figures just want a better drive. So 100% sure the NPS won't be an issue?
Old 31 January 2015, 06:47 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

It'll be fine. Duncan mapped a mates sti today with a dodgy nps and lambda sensor!!
Old 01 February 2015, 07:04 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

With an sti a faulty switch stops the avcs from working, im not sure what the exact effect would be if it were a wrx but i doubt itll feel as extreme as say the turbo not working. Its easy to change on both sti and wrx, however i had to drop the box down slightly on my blob sti to get to it, easy enough to do theres 4 bolts on the cradle, i undone them and it gave me enough room to get in to it, i certainly didnt have to take the box off to do it. Took about half hour at most.

When mine was mapped with a dodgy nps it showed the avcs wasnt kicking in due to a dip on the dyno printout, once changed and mapped again it made the power smoother throughout the rev range.

When i took my dead one off i had a look at it to see what the problem was with it. The issue is the nipple (tech talk) is made of plastic and wears flat over time, it then got me to thinking maybe putting a bit of strong glue i.e tiger seal on the very tip to try build it back up slightly and allow to dry fully before fitting may actually fix them and save £50 everytime one fails.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 01 February 2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02 February 2015, 07:03 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
With an sti a faulty switch stops the avcs from working, im not sure what the exact effect would be if it were a wrx but i doubt itll feel as extreme as say the turbo not working. Its easy to change on both sti and wrx, however i had to drop the box down slightly on my blob sti to get to it, easy enough to do theres 4 bolts on the cradle, i undone them and it gave me enough room to get in to it, i certainly didnt have to take the box off to do it. Took about half hour at most.

When mine was mapped with a dodgy nps it showed the avcs wasnt kicking in due to a dip on the dyno printout, once changed and mapped again it made the power smoother throughout the rev range.

When i took my dead one off i had a look at it to see what the problem was with it. The issue is the nipple (tech talk) is made of plastic and wears flat over time, it then got me to thinking maybe putting a bit of strong glue i.e tiger seal on the very tip to try build it back up slightly and allow to dry fully before fitting may actually fix them and save £50 everytime one fails.

I replaced the nps on my STi and put a film of Araldite on the tip.

JohnD
Old 02 February 2015, 07:14 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

When I booked the car in for the nps to be changed at Triton motorsport in Bournemouth, they said that it could be a half hour job or 3 hour job as there are 2 slightly different fitments on the blobs. Typically mine was the latter and you were the lucky one!!
Old 06 February 2015, 07:37 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

The feeling of no turbo..... so everything else ran and operated as normal. Mine has had this fault for some time, no ecu fault showing, stuttering on acceleration, loss of on-boost power.
boost as it should be, no signs of anything else wrong.

Just wondered if yours was the same?
Old 06 February 2015, 08:14 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxyz
The feeling of no turbo..... so everything else ran and operated as normal. Mine has had this fault for some time, no ecu fault showing, stuttering on acceleration, loss of on-boost power.
boost as it should be, no signs of anything else wrong.

Just wondered if yours was the same?
Exactly the same. The difference it made when i changed it was massive.
Old 06 February 2015, 10:25 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same. The difference it made when i changed it was massive.
What a boost!
In this case :-)

I will be checking this at the weekend, thanks a lot bud.