Notices

Play in seat back.... Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2014, 07:08 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Play in seat back.... Where do I start?

So I bought some STI seats that were advertised on ebay but bought them outside of eBay. Won't be doing that again.

Described as fantastic condition, the seat belt indicator connector has been chopped off and the seat back has serious play in it when locked into place.

Does anybody know of where to start with this? I'm thinking I need to look at the hinges first and make sure everything is bolted up tight. I just don't know how to take the trim off the sides and access them.

Any pointers will be very much appreciated.
Old 07 December 2014, 07:11 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you fitting sti seats to a wagon or a saloon?
front or rear seats?
Old 08 December 2014, 06:54 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Just the fronts, into my Wagon. All bolted in fine etc. Passenger seat is perfect. Driver seat has this issue.

Unfortunately the resistors haven't worked in the airbag plugs either, as the light is on. Used 0.6w 2.2k Ohm resistors from Maplin so not sure why the light is on.
Old 08 December 2014, 09:46 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Disregard the resistor thing. The ones I've used are the type for the STI up pipe mod. Got confused there and used the wrong ones! Just had a light bulb moment and realised.
Old 08 December 2014, 11:50 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate, sorry to hear this mate, I'm doing a similar thing to you but with bug WRX seats. As you probably know now resisters should be 3.3ohm 0.25w, get them off ebay 99p for 10.

Is play coming from the ratchet cog each side not locking on either side or has the seat back frame snapped?

Last edited by modrich; 08 December 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08 December 2014, 12:12 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Hi mate, sorry to hear this mate, I;'m doing a similar thing to you but with bug WRX seats. As you probably know now resisters should be 3.3ohm 0.25w, get them off ebay 99p for 10.

Is play coming from the ratchet cog each not locking on either side or has the seat back frame snapped?
Yep, resistor thing I am on top of. I had one random resistor that I'd bought and for some reason thought I must have bought it for doing the seats and bought another same. Doh!

To be honest, I am really not sure. I am very upset after taking the time to get them in. Christ they are tight BTW! I already needed to lose some weight but these seats are like a nasty person that sits with you and tells you what a fat ******* you are!

Anyway, when I rock the back and look around the bottom of the seat, it does look as though the movement is coming from around where the back part bolts to the bottom section. I CAN feel the bottom section of the seat move a little bit though if I sit in it and rock about, but I don't know if that is a symptom or a side effect of the back rest's movement.

I have managed to find a little something about getting the plastic trim off the base, so I guess tonight I take the seat into the house, get the trim off and just see if I can see anything.

I'm really kicking myself over this to be honest. Feel pretty despondent about it. I'm going on the PH track day at Goodwood on Saturday, so I really don't want a potentially insecure seat!
Old 08 December 2014, 12:20 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

If it's the ratchet it could just be a sticking ratchet/cable (not 100% how they are on these seats), if not it could be that a weld has broken on the seat frame

Trending Topics

Old 08 December 2014, 12:59 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I'll see what I can see. Not sure how I'll be able to tell if it's a weld though.

Last edited by Jay Cartay; 08 December 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08 December 2014, 01:45 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Interested to hear how you get on with this as have a similar thing with both my front seats, I'd put mine down to wear being a 93 car, I have to say the movement in mine is pretty minimal, but its there and any play in a seat isn't pleasant.. from getting hold of mine and giving them a good shake as per yours the play also seems to be coming from where the back meets the base rather than the seat base.

Though I haven't looked into it any further!

What year car are your new seats from?
Old 08 December 2014, 02:02 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

From a Bug STI mate, so potentially 01-02.
Old 08 December 2014, 11:35 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Well didn't get a chance to tackle this tonight so it will eat away at me all day tomorrow as well

Going to get the seat out and give it a thorough inspection tomorrow night for definite. Really hope I can get somewhere with it.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:21 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Took the seat out tonight and gave it a once over.

I've now noticed that it doesn't line up quite straight:

Anyway, the bolt holes are warped here, but this is not the cause of the play:

Anyhow, the play is seemingly in two metal fixings. It's hard to see the top one but it's the silver circular part. Same with the bottom one. It looks as though the holes are worn around them and that's why there's movement. The brack on the side of the seat clearly moves around both of these:

Not much that can be done with that I don't think. And to cap all of that off, I put the seat back into the car in the dark, caught the rear of one of the rails and have no put a series of deep scratched in on the door shut area.

Awesome.
Old 10 December 2014, 10:30 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Going to have to decide now whether to hold out for another set of Bug seats or buy something else. Unfortunately I know if I buy Blob or Hawk seats I won't get the same snug fitting, but right now I'm so frustrated with this whole affair that I'm almost past caring.
Old 10 December 2014, 01:57 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Is it possible to remove the offending parts from the bulk of the seat? If so get an engineer company to weld in a bit of plate then re-drill?

Keep ya chin up lad, if you look at it that way it's only a bit of basic engineering
Old 10 December 2014, 01:59 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have bought an sti they come with those seats
Old 10 December 2014, 02:05 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

and so do bug WRXs minus the alcantara...
Old 10 December 2014, 02:08 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Is it possible to remove the offending parts from the bulk of the seat? If so get an engineer company to weld in a bit of plate then re-drill?

Keep ya chin up lad, if you look at it that way it's only a bit of basic engineering
I honestly can't be arsed. It's a stupid amount of messing about to have to do and I'm just not in the mood for it. The guy is a scum bag for selling me these as being in "fantastic condition" and the scratches I have put on the door shut area have actually upset me far worse than the seats

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Should have bought an sti they come with those seats
Find me an STI Wagon and I'd happily buy it!