Notices

poly bushing

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2014, 09:03 PM
dan320sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poly bushing

hi chaps on a scale between 1 and 10 how hard is it to poly bus a hawkeye sti saloon? 1 being easy 10 being very tricky lol and do you need a ramp ?
Old 01 October 2014, 08:59 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my classic and would say depending on skill and tools avaliable i would say a 7..

you need a really big vice to push the bush out (i tried the threaded bar option did not work for me) or a press :-)

once the bush is removed some have a inner metal sleeve you need to bang that out as the powerflex bush didn,t fit in there with it ....

if its your daily then look at getting a lift to and from work ,i did mine in 2 days but was out there from 8am to 6pm theres 14 (i also did subframe 4 and they were a 10 proper **** to get out and £200 from subaru only ) on rear 16 including arb,and 6 on front with arb

good luck buddy ,hate to think what a garage would charge
Old 01 October 2014, 08:38 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never attempt it without replacing the parts the bushes go into. That way you can take the car apart bolt on new parts with polybushes and go. Otherwise it takes an age to debush all the old parts. Some of the bushes like the front wishbone one is an absolute nightmare to get out. Mine were pressed with an industrial press but wouldn't budge. In the end they were cut out with an oxy torch!

Some on the other hand are easier like the arb's and the lateral links are ok. Also have you priced up every bush? To go for something that will last like powerflex will probably cost £600+ easily.

Also why fit new bushes with rusty bolts? You don't really want the bushes rotating on rusty steel. So price up a set of bolts too. Get these from Subaru and that will probably cost another £150-£200. Also beware of the camber adjusting bolts when taking it all apart.

Not trying to put you off just things to think about as I have done it before and am currently doing it to another car.

Once on they do sharpen handling but do also increase harshness.

Last edited by FMJ; 01 October 2014 at 08:40 PM.