Notices

Can someone clear this up for me??

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2014, 02:30 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone clear this up for me??

Hi fellas

I know this has probably been covered a lot but I'm just looking at my own confirmation... I have a 53 Blob WRX and I am thinking about fitting a VTA dump valve but have heard mixed reviews varying from yes its fine to no it will ruin the engine, etc, etc so what I am asking is...what is the right answer?
Old 28 September 2014, 02:41 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX 2312
Hi fellas

I know this has probably been covered a lot but I'm just looking at my own confirmation... I have a 53 Blob WRX and I am thinking about fitting a VTA dump valve but have heard mixed reviews varying from yes its fine to no it will ruin the engine, etc, etc so what I am asking is...what is the right answer?
do it mate, imagine how cool you will look when changing gear, also fit a wrc sticker kit then join sioc on Facebook!
Old 28 September 2014, 02:45 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the right answer is it will make your engine run a bit rich as the ecu adds extra fuel for the metered amount of air but it gets dumped into the atmosphere with a VTA whereby a standard valve will redirect that air back to be consumed by the engine. does it damage your engine? who knows, ive yet to see any proof from anyone that their engine blew up from having one fitted and the doom merchants will say it will but put it this way andy forrest mapped my wagon with one fitted and if it was the engine killer some would have people believe then surely top tuners like andy f would refuse to map cars with them fitted for fear of engine failures and getting the blame? its up to you bud but my wagon ran 315 bhp with one fitted and i know the guy who bought it and it still runs sweet as a nut. worst case scenario: your engine will blow up (apparently) more likely scenario: you will use a bit more fuel as it will run slightly rich and will make a nice wooshing sound when it vents. you choose
Old 28 September 2014, 03:40 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Well said yabbadoo4, ideally you need a remap as i have one and have not remapped my car yet and i can tell its over fueling so i'm going to swap back standard Rcv until i get it remapped

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
the right answer is it will make your engine run a bit rich as the ecu adds extra fuel for the metered amount of air but it gets dumped into the atmosphere with a VTA whereby a standard valve will redirect that air back to be consumed by the engine. does it damage your engine? who knows, ive yet to see any proof from anyone that their engine blew up from having one fitted and the doom merchants will say it will but put it this way andy forrest mapped my wagon with one fitted and if it was the engine killer some would have people believe then surely top tuners like andy f would refuse to map cars with them fitted for fear of engine failures and getting the blame? its up to you bud but my wagon ran 315 bhp with one fitted and i know the guy who bought it and it still runs sweet as a nut. worst case scenario: your engine will blow up (apparently) more likely scenario: you will use a bit more fuel as it will run slightly rich and will make a nice wooshing sound when it vents. you choose
Old 28 September 2014, 04:24 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

It's been covered above but.

Pros: Wooshing noise to impress your friends
Cons: Higher fuel consumption, loss in power

With a remap you won't lose anything so I'd budget that in too.
Old 28 September 2014, 04:45 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
Cheers mate very helpful, will give it some thought, have heard a few scoobs with a VTA and it is something I am quite fond of so when I come round to mapping I will speak to the mapper first and go from there
Old 28 September 2014, 04:46 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
do it mate, imagine how cool you will look when changing gear, also fit a wrc sticker kit then join sioc on Facebook!
Your sarcasm knows no bounds! Gratefully received and acknowledged

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2014, 07:55 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi fellas

Depends how technically you want to look at it. There are pros and cons for all 3 set ups and some DV's have compromises such as spring tension adjustment and plumb back features.

I've asked many questions about BOV's and never had them all answered or answer satisfactorily.

At the moment I'm trying to understand a blanked DV/DV's effect in regards to lift-off det, actuator vac pressure and cylinder cooling.

I still can't fathom as to why a blanked DV causes rich running as the unused air goes to to the same place a recirc dumps air thus creating enough pressure to stop fresh air passing the MAF.

All I say in regards to BOV's is get a 2 way one that can partially or fully recirc (if needed) that comes with a adjustable spring tension, that way you can have any set up you want with a slight control on how many revs it takes to make that much maligned piissshhh sound.

I currently run a GFB VTA with the spring tension set to hardest which means I don't really Vent to air unless I'm giving it the beans, around town unused air heads back through the turbo giving a gentle and mildly pleasing chatter sound.

Don't be swayed by what your fellow Subaru owners think as girls and lesser car owners love the sound of a BOV!
Old 29 September 2014, 01:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pros: None. The wooshing noise makes you look a d*ck

Cons: increased fuel consumption, over-rich running leading to borewash, oil dilution, possibly cat damage, and possibly burnt valves. Possible lumpy running on gearchange unless mapped out.

Your car, your choice.
Old 29 September 2014, 02:48 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Pros: None. The wooshing noise makes you look a d*ck

Cons: increased fuel consumption, over-rich running leading to borewash, oil dilution, possibly cat damage, and possibly burnt valves. Possible lumpy running on gearchange unless mapped out.

Your car, your choice.
So I guess we have come to the conclusion that everyone with a dump valve fitted to their scoob is a dick.
Old 29 September 2014, 03:33 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

just open the window, change gear and yell VWWWWWWT-SHHHHHH, it'll be less risky
Old 29 September 2014, 05:26 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
just open the window, change gear and yell VWWWWWWT-SHHHHHH, it'll be less risky
way ahead of you...should have seen me down the dual carriageway yesterday.....burberry cap on, fake gold.... shouting psssssssssst out the window to all the other peasant vehicles
Old 29 September 2014, 09:06 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

HKS SQV does sound cool though.
Old 29 September 2014, 09:39 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

It's true. I have an HKS gay valve on my car and I'm a complete dick!
Old 29 September 2014, 09:45 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
HKS SQV does sound cool though.
I agree an exhaust system + bov goes together nicely on a subaru IMO, each to their own...
Old 29 September 2014, 10:04 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Would a remap prevent all of the problems associated with an atmospheric dump valve?
Old 29 September 2014, 10:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Yes, you can map the car for one. Mine is.
Old 29 September 2014, 10:16 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Yes, you can map the car for one. Mine is.
No chance of borewash, rough running or any of that crap by mapping it in?
Old 29 September 2014, 10:20 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

You just compensate for it in the map so can get the car running perfect.
Old 29 September 2014, 10:30 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

You just compensate for it in the map so can get the car running perfect.
that is good news don't know if I want to part with £245 for an hks ssqv though didn't realise they cost so much
Old 29 September 2014, 10:43 PM
WRXghost
Scooby Regular

It's true. I have an HKS gay valve on my car and I'm a complete dick!
LOL
Old 30 September 2014, 09:08 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

No chance of borewash, rough running or any of that crap by mapping it in?
Think rough running is probably from a cheap DV with a suspect spring, I had bore wash in my WRX and I asked the tuner who diagnosed the problem if it was because of the VTA DV and he laughed then said "No."

The folks who slag VTA's off are the same people who have a pop and bang map. I'm not sure which set up uses more fuel on the over run though.
Old 30 September 2014, 09:21 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a second hand SSQV you can fit :P
Old 01 October 2014, 07:58 AM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I have a second hand SSQV you can fit :P
How much?