Notices

Standard Airbox or Induction Kit On Md321t

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2014, 10:57 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Standard Airbox or Induction Kit On Md321t

Another quick question I would be grateful for some input on please. I have my v8 sti booked in for mapping very soon and im undecided as to stay on the original airbox or to get an induction kit (the one im considering is a perrin short ram induction kit).

Spec will be
v8 sti
Lateral Md321t Billet
Pe 650 Injectors
Hrc 255lph Fuel Pump
3" into 2.5" Full Decat
Apexi Avcr with 3-port boost solenoid and 3-bar map sensor
Silicone Intake Pipe
Standard Sti Top Mount Intercooler

My goal is for as much power and torque as i can get out of the stock i/c which im hoping will be nudging just over 400 bhp.

What benefits/downfalls are to be had on stock airbox or fitting an induction kit with my mods listed above ??
Will i achieve more power and more importantly more torque with an induction kit at this level staying on the stock top mount ??
Your experience and thoughts will be appreciated

Dubzy
Old 28 August 2014, 08:53 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Anybody been in the same position ?? need to order one soon if its a worthwhile mod as the mapping day is getting ever closer.

Cheers
Old 28 August 2014, 09:24 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

If it was me i would fit a RCM induction kit with some kind of air feed directed to it,it was my set up for years on my sti.SJ.
Old 28 August 2014, 09:25 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran 431bhp on my 05sti with md321t i had a induction kit
Old 28 August 2014, 09:29 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the easier the turbo can grab air the better and with your mods the induction kit would be an improvement on the standard airbox arrangement. If you can find some way of ducting air onto the cone that's for the better also. I wouldn't know if you could say X power increase over standard but you would be confident there wasn't a restriction there.
Trev
Old 28 August 2014, 09:29 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, just curious if it will make more power at that level, i had a hks induction kit for 5 years on my last car and prefer the sound from the original airbox but if it will gain more power then i'll put up with it lol, if i do get one as stated i will probably box it off with cold air feed to keep temps and noise down.

Last edited by Dubzy; 28 August 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 28 August 2014, 09:34 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I wouldn't know if you could say X power increase over standard but you would be confident there wasn't a restriction there.
Trev
Good call and probably what i will do, i may ask the mapper to try both on the day and compare.

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2014, 09:35 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Really the more power you extract from your engine is the more noise your engine is going to make,i don't think that its possible to get quiet power,it would be nice though if that's your thing.SJ.
Old 28 August 2014, 09:46 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

i Just got fed up with the induction noise like the dashboards been sucked off as had it for years on my old cosie's too, so its a nice refreshing change at the moment lol
Old 28 August 2014, 09:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

You will still get noise from a uprated panel filter i use to run a GREEN filter with a zerosports pipe it made just under 400 bhp from a gt30/28 turbo in that spec but needed a front mount and induction kit to push it into the 400's.SJ.
Name:  stage2_zps60d51c24.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  135.1 KB
Old 28 August 2014, 10:11 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

I have a pipercross panel in at the moment but still on standard catted downpipe so nice and quiet, induction kit now sourced and decat going on soon so not quiet for much longer lol.

Nice clean engine bay

Last edited by Dubzy; 28 August 2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29 August 2014, 02:16 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stonejedi
You will still get noise from a uprated panel filter i use to run a GREEN filter with a zerosports pipe it made just under 400 bhp from a gt30/28 turbo in that spec but needed a front mount and induction kit to push it into the 400's.SJ.
Where's your alternator cover from mate?
Old 29 August 2014, 02:25 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
Where's your alternator cover from mate?
Spec r.SJ.
Old 29 August 2014, 02:29 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Try here:http://www.spec-r.co.uk/?mobile=0.SJ.
Old 29 August 2014, 03:33 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woah, that kit looks great on your car bud but it's at a price!
Old 29 August 2014, 03:37 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Woah, that kit looks great on your car bud but it's at a price!
Thanks matethe way my engine looked back then has long gone its a different animal now.SJ.
Old 30 August 2014, 01:04 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Personally I would go with RCM induction kit,we run RCM induction kit with custom induction hose on 2.1L and its best induction kit what we are run

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Size:  151.9 KB

Thanks,Jura
Old 30 August 2014, 01:59 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Same RCM cone, slightly different set up. I'm not sure that the cold air feed is strictly necessary though. The scoop is still in place and great gobs of air must pass through there and into the engine compartment.

After a long fast drive (and a quick stop) the hot and cold side intercooler pipes are cold so presumably there must be plenty of cold air for the cone filter. This is not scientific in any way but it rather undermines the idea that the area around the filter is a huge heat trap.

However, if the car is stuck in creeping traffic for any length of time the hot side pipe becomes very warm but not the cold side. The only time the cold pipe gets hot is when the car is completely stationary for any length of time or switched off.

Name:  DSC_0223_zpse65f4b69.jpg
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 30 August 2014, 02:32 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Same RCM cone, slightly different set up. I'm not sure that the cold air feed is strictly necessary though. The scoop is still in place and great gobs of air must pass through there and into the engine compartment.

After a long fast drive (and a quick stop) the hot and cold side intercooler pipes are cold so presumably there must be plenty of cold air for the cone filter. This is not scientific in any way but it rather undermines the idea that the area around the filter is a huge heat trap.

However, if the car is stuck in creeping traffic for any length of time the hot side pipe becomes very warm but not the cold side. The only time the cold pipe gets hot is when the car is completely stationary for any length of time or switched off.

Cold air flow is needed in a ideal scenario,you know what your car feels like when driving it on a cold morning,it feels to have gathered a few more ponies,but i do agree with you about the air scoop gulping in some oxygen through its uni nostril.I had a similar set up to you and tried to get the air filter completely under the intercooler pipe,its pretty tight though.
Name:  stage3_zpsca7d1f25.jpg
Size:  105.5 KB
Its much better now that the same set up is in my wife's classic as it has been modified for a more straighter path to pick up a better airflow from the front of her car.
Name:  1a92dcb71f1d782ffa500ecd9a7f7301_zpsfbb06695.jpg
Size:  498.3 KB
.SJ.
Old 30 August 2014, 02:54 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks mate you're a star
Old 30 August 2014, 05:01 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Cold air flow is needed in a ideal scenario,you know what your car feels like when driving it on a cold morning,it feels to have gathered a few more ponies,but i do agree with you about the air scoop gulping in some oxygen through its uni nostril.I had a similar set up to you and tried to get the air filter completely under the intercooler pipe,its pretty tight though.

Its much better now that the same set up is in my wife's classic as it has been modified for a more straighter path to pick up a better airflow from the front of her car.

.SJ.

Unfortunately on the Newage engine the ABS pipes get in the way of the big RCM cone so it must either go under the cold pipe or over it. Having tried both I didn't like the big bends in the pipe when it went under the cone although it looked better. So under it went for straighter pipe work.

Your lady's set up looks very neat!
Old 30 August 2014, 05:13 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Name:  c8de804c480c2206038d9a83bcd2541c_zps6e4e7a70.jpg
Size:  425.5 KB
That's why we removed and rerouted the whole braking set up on the wife's scoob,it will be back on the road soon after a gearbox fix and a remap.SJ.
Old 30 August 2014, 05:22 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

That's why we removed and rerouted the whole braking set up on the wife's scoob,it will be back on the road soon after a gearbox fix and a remap.SJ.
That looks good, she must love that.

The late Harvey Smith, who sold me the Hybrid I/C kit, suggested bending the ABS pipes out of the way so the cone would fit. I thought that might not be a good idea but he insisted he had done it several times. I didn't have the nerve though!
Old 30 August 2014, 05:44 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

The best way to do it is to reroute the abs unit,but its quite alot of work just to fit an air filter or better yet just remove it altogether and just work on your threshold braking.SJ.
Old 30 August 2014, 10:35 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Personally I would go with RCM induction kit,we run RCM induction kit with custom induction hose on 2.1L and its best induction kit what we are run

Thanks,Jura
Im guessing you must get lots of induction noise off that huge cone, which is the main reason i wanted to keep the original airbox, Ive now ordered an enclosed typhoon type induction kit so hopefully be less restrictive than the standard airbox and quieter than an open cone. I dont fancy butchering my fog cover for the cold air feed so planning on just sucking from the inner wing area.
Old 30 August 2014, 11:57 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Im guessing you must get lots of induction noise off that huge cone, which is the main reason i wanted to keep the original airbox, Ive now ordered an enclosed typhoon type induction kit so hopefully be less restrictive than the standard airbox and quieter than an open cone. I dont fancy butchering my fog cover for the cold air feed so planning on just sucking from the inner wing area.
Hi there

I would say has been OK,has been much quieter than any Dump valve what we are run

Induction noise is not for everyone and RCM induction are best on the market,you can have look on cheaper GGR kit or Group A Induction kits,they should be OK for yours needs,they're very similar to the RCM

Here is quick video

K&N typhoon I wouldn't fit on my car,this kit is bit restrictive,its very similar to the APS induction kits which are rated up to 400bhp,have look on older thread from Harvey(RIP)

Cold air feed we are didn't run on our wagon and we are been fine,although in very hot weather I've seen high ACT when we are been in traffic,we run only on 2.35L and 30R cold air feed

Thanks,Jura
Old 31 August 2014, 12:33 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura, Its a pipercross viper induction kit ive purchased, got it new for half the rrp so thought i would give it a try. Im hoping that on my mapping day (next week) the mapper will try running on both the standard airbox and then the induction klt to see the difference ( a reasonable request ??)

If i can make / break the 400bhp mark on the standard airbox and equally important a good amount of torque then i will happily stay on the original airbox setup. Ive lived with loud induction noise for the last 15 years so a break would be nice if possible lol.

Last edited by Dubzy; 31 August 2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 31 August 2014, 01:25 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Thanks Jura, Its a pipercross viper induction kit ive purchased, got it new for half the rrp so thought i would give it a try. Im hoping that on my mapping day (next week) the mapper will try running on both the standard airbox and then the induction klt to see the difference ( a reasonable request ??)

If i can make / break the 400bhp mark on the standard airbox and equally important a good amount of torque then i will happily stay on the original airbox setup. Ive lived with loud induction noise for the last 15 years so a break would be nice if possible lol.
Hi there

I would speak with mapper,but I think yours mapper should be OK with yours request to try both,I would do this same

Cheapest way how to make 400bhp is using 10-20% meth,with meth you should be able make more torque and more power than on any fuel,if yours mapper can make you two maps then you will be more than happy running meth,car with meth is different animal although you will loose bit of spool,but you will make more power and toque

Thanks and good luck there

Jura
Old 31 August 2014, 01:35 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks buddy, i will post up some results when i get it mapped.

May consider the meth route at the next planned mods (forged bottom end and new manifolds) then will be aiming for the 500 mark with meth added