Notices

Classic Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2014, 02:24 PM
alsmithy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Exhaust Help

Hi I have recently just bought my first classic and it has come with a magnex 2.5 inch non resonated decat pipe with a 3inch split down pipe which has a reduces down to 2.5 inch just before the flange, the back box is a magnex with a nasty rectangular tailpipe, I have two questions.

1 When the car is ticking over and upto 1500rpm it sounds like there is a very tinny sound from the exhaust almost like a blow, which seems to coming from around the area were the downpipe bolts to the turbo, is that anything to do with the split downpipe? From what I can see the small pipe is around 30mm diameter and around 300mm long were it re enters the main downpipe, I have looked at loads of info on this forum and from around the Internet and there does not seem to be any advantage in a split or bellmouth downpipes, unless you are running 400bhp plus, is this the case?

My second question is I want to change the rear silencer, to something that looks beter and is not to loud as it's my daily driver, and I dont want the neighbours moaning at me! I have been looking at the prodrive silencer as somebody told me that they were quite quiet again is that the case? Also will a exhaust from a newage fit a classic?

Im open to any suggestions on what you guys think, regarding the downpipe and rear silencer.

Thanks Alan
Old 28 June 2014, 11:04 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

get the prodrive - just a little bit more 'burblier' than standard

I believe new age will fit classic, but by using only one 'hanger'