GB270 front anti roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2014, 02:18 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GB270 front anti roll bar

Hi guys

Looking for some advice on what size/diameter a 2007 GB270 front arb is?

AFAIK it is a standard WRX one, so is that 21mm?

The rear ones were uprated according to the handbook but nothing about the front one.

Any suggestions regarding what type of arb bush to go for? I'm not wanting to upgrade the front bar as that would prob mean that I would have to upgrade the rear one, so any suggestions on a bush that would fit the arb that's there, would be great.

Many thanks - Roo
Old 10 June 2014, 03:09 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack your thread but I was once told that the gb270 had better handling than the equivalent sti, is this true?
Old 10 June 2014, 03:14 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Default no idea :)

having never driven an sti, I couldn't tell you how they compare.

handling is ok on the GB though - albeit with me having to buy new springs and shocks for a 5 year old car.... that made a big difference.

needing to replace the arb bushes to try and eliminate another knock that has arisen....
Old 10 June 2014, 04:09 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by macroo
having never driven an sti, I couldn't tell you how they compare.

handling is ok on the GB though - albeit with me having to buy new springs and shocks for a 5 year old car.... that made a big difference.

needing to replace the arb bushes to try and eliminate another knock that has arisen....
What was wrong with the shocks and springs?

Do the new springs have plastic sleeves over the bottom coils? It could be why you hear a knock.
Old 10 June 2014, 04:21 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
What was wrong with the shocks and springs?

Do the new springs have plastic sleeves over the bottom coils? It could be why you hear a knock.
Cheers buddy - the rear shocks started knocking the day after I bought the car. I had tried the lithium grease fix for a while but it was getting worse - so I bought a pair of rear KYBs - then the day they arrived in the post, I noticed that one of the springs had broken.

I had to buy a complete set of springs, so once I did the rears, I noticed that there was a bit of a knock from the front passenger side - might not have been but the handling was also a bit bumpy and loose - i took a gamble and bought a pair of kybs for the front too.

Before fitting them, one of the fropnt drop links broke so replaced that - that may well have been the knocking I had heard.....

however, all new shocks and struts so should be good to go - as far as I know, they do not have the plastic sleeves on them (eibach springs) although the originals did (prodrive springs)

Cheers
Old 10 June 2014, 04:58 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a knock in my previous WRX wagon coming from the front as soon as I fitted Prodrive springs on it and rose jointed drop links.

The front springs didn't have palstic sleeves on them unlike the rears. I never found out what was the cause of the knock though, I was suspecting the rose jointed drop links but it could be the lack of plastic sleeves on the bottom coils of the front springs.
Old 11 June 2014, 08:55 AM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Cheers buddy - I would not have thought the plastic sleeves would have made any difference - once the spring is in there right, it's in there tight, so should have no room for movement.

I fitted heavy duty drop links to mine recently so maybe that has something to do with it - but the arb bar had moved to one side and I reckon was knocking on the drop link - I have tried tapping the bar back into line but I think it keeps moving back.

hopefully new arb bushes will fix this.