Notices

What do people think of afterburner exhaust parts.?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2014, 12:30 PM
Niall-Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What do people think of afterburner exhaust parts.?

Thinking of getting an afterburner manifold, up pipe and down pipe for my car off scoobyworld... what do people think of them are they any good.?

Manifold and up pipe
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1281

De-cat downpipe
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=441
Old 26 May 2014, 12:58 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Niall-Mc
Thinking of getting an afterburner manifold, up pipe and down pipe for my car off scoobyworld... what do people think of them are they any good.?

Manifold and up pipe
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1281

De-cat downpipe
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=441
I have had the up-pipe, downpipe, center and back box for about 7 years. The DP, center and BB have been fine and are as far as I can see are good parts. The first up-pipe split after a couple of years. Replaced free of charge after a few arguements about the lifetime guarantee and then split after a year or so. I gave up and fitting a flexible cheapo Japspeed up-pipe which is ok so far. The system is pretty loud.

I think the system is actually made by haywood and scott. Not sure on the manifold but I am wary of any stainless manifold as they all crack eventually and never do as many miles as the OE one.

Last edited by FMJ; 26 May 2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 26 May 2014, 01:27 PM
Niall-Mc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
I have had the up-pipe, downpipe, center and back box for about 7 years. The DP, center and BB have been fine and are as far as I can see are good parts. The first up-pipe split after a couple of years. Replaced free of charge after a few arguements about the lifetime guarantee and then split after a year or so. I gave up and fitting a flexible cheapo Japspeed up-pipe which is ok so far. The system is pretty loud.

I think the system is actually made by haywood and scott. Not sure on the manifold but I am wary of any stainless manifold as they all crack eventually and never do as many miles as the OE one.
I don't drive my car much as i work in London and be home in Ireland around once a month and drive it only if its good weather, so maybe it could last a long time for me! Are haywood and scott suppose to be good yea? I haven't heard much about the afterburner but I would'nt say scoobyworld would keep **** parts around them.!?
Old 26 May 2014, 06:24 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Hayward and Scott make quality parts as far as I can tell, had centre systems and back boxes of theirs and can't complain at all.

I'm a fan of the subtle HnS backbox but think i'l go for the Jetex system next.

As for the manifold why not splurge the extra cash on something like an RCM mani? or get the OEs ported?

i'm sure i've read that there's no need for a tubular mani unless going for big power, more to be gained from porting the OEs etc.

but i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon
Old 27 May 2014, 05:22 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't buy any up pipes with flexi join in, from what I see on here and on our group they're all crap and often split within months.
Instead buy a quality Harvey Up Pipe from AS Performance - they're slip jointed so allow enough movement without tearing themselves apart.

The other Afterburner kit is good quality though, although why you would buy an Afterburner manifold over tubular headers is beyond me?
Good tubular headers like RCM / GT-Spec Gen 2 / etc (all the same kit just re-badged AFAIK) don't see significant power gain until you get to nearly 400bhp anyway.
My mate made 380bhp on an 18g billet with standard (not even ported) headers and an STI up pipe....

Scoobyworld are alright, stock some "questionable" bits, but then they're not RCM

Last edited by MrNoisy; 27 May 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 27 May 2014, 05:29 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Don't buy any up pipes with flexi join in, from what I see on here and on our group they're all crap and often split within months.
Instead buy a quality Harvey Up Pipe from AS Performance - they're slip jointed so allow enough movement without tearing themselves apart.
Strangely I can only report the opposite. Both H&S up-pipes split despite being slip jointed all the way around the flange weld turbo end. The cheapo flexi japspeed is fine.... not saying flexi ones are any good but it's working for me at the moment.

I would go with the OE one if I had the choice as they don't then to split.

It has been said before that RCM headers are just the same as all the other cheaper stainless headers which are not all that great and will split quite quickly. Not sure how true that is?
Old 27 May 2014, 11:36 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

The afterburner range is manufactured by h&s for scoobyworld. Again go slip jointed up pipe and don't see the benefit of the manifold if I'm being honest. Just exhaust and up pipe will get you noticeable gains, mid range and low down grunt
Old 28 May 2014, 08:08 AM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

Harvey's uppipe or sti uppipe flexi ones are on eBay for a reason they are ****
Old 28 May 2014, 01:20 PM
Niall-Mc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's fella's much appreciated, I was going to order a Blitz nur spec r system yesterday off scoobyworld but they are all out of stock, they say Blitz uk is all out of stock and wont have any in stock until July ! I'm gonna go for the afternburner up pipe and downpipe I think, ill give it a go anyway, ill leave the standard manifold for now, anyone know who might have the blitz nur spec system in stock.? Dont really wanna wait until July.!
Old 29 May 2014, 08:42 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FMJ
Strangely I can only report the opposite. Both H&S up-pipes split despite being slip jointed all the way around the flange weld turbo end. The cheapo flexi japspeed is fine.... not saying flexi ones are any good but it's working for me at the moment.

I would go with the OE one if I had the choice as they don't then to split.

It has been said before that RCM headers are just the same as all the other cheaper stainless headers which are not all that great and will split quite quickly. Not sure how true that is?
It's not I'm afraid. The standard OEM up pipes DO have flexi join which is why they rip and blow so often. A second hand one I bought lasted 6 months before it developed a blow.

I've never seen or heard of a Harvey up pipe failure on here, I've heard of hundreds of those **** flexi join up pipes failing so to me the people have voted with their feet. The only reason people buy them is because they're cheap. Cheap and Subaru don't usually work well together; granted there are the odd exceptions but not normally.

RCM / other tubular headers tend to crack IF used with the Venturi up pipe (which is solid not flex jointed).
Your comment about them "being the same as all the cheap eBay headers" just isn't true either. Look at the collectors, the pipe run, quality of the welds and the inner porting etc of the eBay ones and you'll see they're ****, plus they often don't fit properly, and can negatively impact spool due to the poor construction and design.
The late great Harvey did a back to back test on these and concluded the eBay headers were in general a joke.
Buy cheap buy often. Spend more money buy once is the mantra here.
Had GT Spec tubular headers on mine for two years, with a Harvey up pipe and no signs of failure.

Hope that clarifies things.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 29 May 2014 at 08:47 AM.