Notices

Hella horns (which stock horn wire do I use)

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2014, 02:39 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Hella horns (which stock horn wire do I use)

Afternoon All...

Fitting my hella supertones today pretty much all done now but I do need some help on the final stage...

I have 99 type r and have followed this diagram for the install http://kcsubaru.com/showthread.php?3...rtone-Install&

Now the bit I need help with is: what wire do I use from the stock horn to the relay, also what do I do with the remaining wires from stock horn...

Many thanks, Csf
Old 06 May 2014, 03:13 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used both

two stock horns removed two Hellas installed. Stock wire to each of the Hellas, and the made a Y shaped earth, one end to ground the oter two to each of the Hellas.

Sorted with no relay involved been working fine with no issues, although I donot use my horn that muc
Old 06 May 2014, 03:39 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Cheers .... But I've fitted the relay and done all the wiring apart from not knowing which stock wire I use from the original loom

Bumpppp
Old 06 May 2014, 03:48 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Cheers .... But I've fitted the relay and done all the wiring apart from not knowing which stock wire I use from the original loom

Bumpppp

In that case either should be fine as the are both live feed from the horn switch.
Old 06 May 2014, 05:40 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Can u explain alittle further, previously I had two horns on existing loom

I'm abit of a donkey when it comes to electrics, are you saying both conections to 1 horn are live ? Surly one with be earth ?? I've got 4 wires from 2 horns, as far as I can make out all I need is to figure out which is the signal wire and attach to relay.... Do I double up so 2 wires from each horn to relay...

Tbh I've read so much I'm now just compleatly lost as said electrics is not my speciality although what I have done so far is up to a high standard just lost on this last bit
Old 06 May 2014, 06:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

just connect relay terminal 85, or 86 to ONE of the wires from the stock horn, the other of those two numbered terminals to an earth.
Old 06 May 2014, 06:32 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
just connect relay terminal 85, or 86 to ONE of the wires from the stock horn, the other of those two numbered terminals to an earth.

Hi alcazar...

Yes one terminal is direct battery. (Done) ...The second terminal is a earth ..Done.... The third is power to horns .. (Done)

???4th???.... Is stock wire from original loom, are you saying I can use any of the 4 wires ?? And what should I do with the remaining 3 wires do I just tape up ??
Old 06 May 2014, 09:50 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

^^^^^ anyone ?
Old 06 May 2014, 10:11 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

Using a meter connect the black wire from the meter to the neg of ur battery then connect the red to one of the four wires and push the horn if u get 12v or higher then that's the feed that u use if u get nothing move on to the next one of the four until u get a reading of 12v or higher!! Then tape the rest up separately!!!
U will have four/ three posts on the relay on a constant feed from the battery, one an output to the item to be used, one a switched feed and one to earth.
On the horn you will probably have two terminals one live and one earth if not earthed thru the body of the horn.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Dockyard; 06 May 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06 May 2014, 10:26 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dockyard
Using a meter connect the black wire from the meter to the neg of ur battery then connect the red to one of the four wires and push the horn if u get 12v or higher then that's the feed that u use if u get nothing move on to the next one of the four until u get a reading of 12v or higher!! Then tape the rest up separately!!!
U will have four/ three posts on the relay on a constant feed from the battery, one an output to the item to be used, one a switched feed and one to earth.
On the horn you will probably have two terminals one live and one earth if not earthed thru the body of the horn.
Hope this helps
That's perfect
only one small issues the battery is located in the boot , can I take a negative off anywhere else, is negative the same as ground, so can I just not ground the neg side of the meter ?

Cheers
Old 06 May 2014, 10:44 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

That's perfect
only one small issues the battery is located in the boot , can I take a negative off anywhere else, is negative the same as ground, so can I just not ground the neg side of the meter ?

Cheers
Yeah u can use any place that has a good bare metal contact to the chassis as is it is the ground/earth on a car!! A good place to start is where the earthing wire from the engine is connected to the body it normally quite a thick wire or braided!! But any bare bolt or metal will do!! But it has to be bare and not painted!!
Yeah a negative it the term used on 12v but it's is the same as a ground or earth. Earth is a term used in 240v as I deal with both on caravans I sometimes get mixed up!!! But a negitive is what u are looking for!!! That's all the body and metal as it's connected the the neg of ur battery!!
I hope it's clearer now
d
Old 06 May 2014, 11:08 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Ok cool I'm totally with you... 1 last question though with there been 2 horns as standard is there x2 wires that will give a 12v supply one for each horn, I'm guessing the other two are negative .... So just to confirm I only need to use one of + supply's and tape up everything else or could I put both + on the same terminal on relay and just tape up the negatives..

Thanks. total legend btw
Old 06 May 2014, 11:15 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

If u weren't using the relay the I could just connect the wires up!! 2 positive 2 neg but u should check them with a meter first.
As u are u r using a relay then u only need one feed to tell the relay to switch as the main current comes from the battery not the switched feed so not to burn out the switch with the current!! It doesn't matter wether u connect the two feeds or just one as it's just a signal for the relay to work. If the other wires come up with no voltage if u test the way I suggested then u can connect the black wire from the meter to them and the red to the feeds u have already determined to be the feed and if u get 12v or higher then they are a negitive for the horn. And just tape them out the way unless u use them as a negitive for the horn or relay!!

Last edited by Dockyard; 06 May 2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06 May 2014, 11:28 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

12v is pretty easy to work in as u just need to get a good neg then work it from there. If u use the supply pos and neg and don't get 12v the the other option is some where else that is a good neg and test from there and then if it's not the item either the problem then it's got to be the wire which is when it get a bit tricky but still pretty easy.
As I said I am a caravan engineer and they are a nightmare with their 12v systems!!!
Hope this helps

Last edited by Dockyard; 06 May 2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06 May 2014, 11:28 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks dockyard will post on the thread tomoro let u no how I get on.... I see u have only just joined up have u just bought yourself a sub, again thanks for all ur help seems pretty straight forward now
Old 06 May 2014, 11:42 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks dockyard will post on the thread tomoro let u no how I get on.... I see u have only just joined up have u just bought yourself a sub, again thanks for all ur help seems pretty straight forward now
Yeah I got a hawk PPP in December and it's my first but its in the dealership getting a new bottom end under aftermarket warranty at the moment but the parts r out of stock so waiting on a new bottom end for japan I have had a few high performance motors in the past including a 300bhp Renault 21 which I built. But this is my first Impreza. I used to have Scotland's loudest car in the mid 90s so 12v and wiring is second nature. It recorded 149.98db it could bounce a packet of **** 3" off the roof if the car with the vibrations. But family and a wife stopped all of that. So I bought a wrx PPP as a toy for the weekends.
By the way she hates it as it's too noisy. Pmsl
Old 07 May 2014, 07:45 AM
max cook
Scooby Regular

I used this video whe I installed mine. I'm certainly no sparkie, but found it easy with this guide.
Originally Posted by riiidaa
Old 07 May 2014, 01:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Sorry, been busy this morning replacing the back door lock.

The above advice is sound.
Old 07 May 2014, 01:31 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

don't quote me on this as I own a blob, but isn't there just 2 wires for each horn?

a pos and a neg, cant you just try it either way and if not working just put it opposite? if that's not working maybe check the horn fuse and check its not blown?

again just don't quote me
Old 07 May 2014, 03:44 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

What amp wire is needed for these 5amp 8amp or 17 amp?
I'm using the relay with a 20amp fuse as per other threads but don't know what amp wire to use?
Thanks
Old 07 May 2014, 04:06 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
don't quote me on this as I own a blob, but isn't there just 2 wires for each horn?

a pos and a neg, cant you just try it either way and if not working just put it opposite? if that's not working maybe check the horn fuse and check its not blown?

again just don't quote me

Yes 2 wires per horn / 2 horns = 4 wires

2 +
2 -

Tbh what I have read it said that I needed the signal wire I didn't no / understand that it would be a voltage otherwise I would have done it in 2 min lol

Also was abit unsure what to do with the remaining horn wires.
Old 07 May 2014, 04:12 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fleetster
What amp wire is needed for these 5amp 8amp or 17 amp?
I'm using the relay with a 20amp fuse as per other threads but don't know what amp wire to use?
Thanks

Ok first wait till someone confirms this first but from what I understand it needs to be 16gauge cable from what I've been able to calculate via the web I belive that equates to 13amp cable.. So I'm using 17amp as I could not get any 13..

As far as I no u can use higher amp cable than the current just not the other way round... But please wait for confirmation I hope I'm right otherwise I'm gonna have to start all over again. !!! And I'm Basicly finished
Old 07 May 2014, 04:14 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

That's brilliant thank you!!!
Old 07 May 2014, 04:18 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

As said wait for someone to confirm !!!!
Old 07 May 2014, 04:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The ones from the stock horn to the relay and from relay to earth can be this stuff, http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...e/thinwall.php Ref 11.

The stuff from battery to relay and relay to horn, should be this stuff: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...e/thinwall.php Ref. 25.

I'd fit a 25A fuse too.
Old 07 May 2014, 05:07 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Hi alcazar .... All the read ups I have seen have said 16g / 13amp wire so I went above this and used 17amp all round is this dangerous as thought that would be that would be fine ?
Old 07 May 2014, 06:33 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

Yes 2 wires per horn / 2 horns = 4 wires

2 +
2 -

Tbh what I have read it said that I needed the signal wire I didn't no / understand that it would be a voltage otherwise I would have done it in 2 min lol

Also was abit unsure what to do with the remaining horn wires.
The signal wire is the wire coming from your original horn ie the positive wire that gives u 12v when tested against a negitive test point as discussed before. I referred to it as the signal wire as it gives the signal to the relay to switch on and take power from your battery supply. The signal wire is also known as the switch wire or switched feed. The positive wire from you original horn will work as the switch wire for your relay
Old 07 May 2014, 06:45 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

The signal wire is the wire coming from your original horn ie the positive wire that gives u 12v when tested against a negitive test point as discussed before. I referred to it as the signal wire as it gives the signal to the relay to switch on and take power from your battery supply. The signal wire is also known as the switch wire or switched feed. The positive wire from you original horn will work as the switch wire for your relay

Hi buddy, glad your back online lol ..... Its all ready to be hooked up but now due to the previous posts I'm concerned about the amp cable I have used,

From what I had read recently I was under the impression 16g / 13amp was fine as the horns only draw 7amp I think it is... I'm using 17amp wire everywhere to hook the horns up do you have any thoughts on this, I guess my main concern is from the fused block under the bonnet to the relay ?

Any thoughts
Old 07 May 2014, 06:55 PM
Dockyard
Scooby Regular

Hi buddy, glad your back online lol ..... Its all ready to be hooked up but now due to the previous posts I'm concerned about the amp cable I have used,

From what I had read recently I was under the impression 16g / 13amp was fine as the horns only draw 7amp I think it is... I'm using 17amp wire everywhere to hook the horns up do you have any thoughts on this, I guess my main concern is from the fused block under the bonnet to the relay ?

Any thoughts
If ur horns only draw 7amps each then wired together in parallel ie the two positive wires from the horn connected to the one terminal of the relay then 17 amp is ideal with a 15 amp in line fuse as the total draw would be 14 amps. But bare in mind that u only use the horn briefly and not for long periods like spot lights so any issue of over heating wires ect is reduced so going for 25 amp wire and fuses is a bit overkill as 17 amp wire and a 15 amp fuse would satisfy the needs. You could use lighter wire to go from the relay to the horn as the current would be 7 amps each so 10 amp wire would be ideal for that purpose.
I would use the larger wire to go from the battery to the relay and the negitive wire from the relay and the lighter to go from the relay to the horns.
I hope this is helpful

Last edited by Dockyard; 07 May 2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07 May 2014, 07:13 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

If ur horns only draw 7amps each then wired together in parallel ie the two positive wires from the horn connected to the one terminal of the relay then 17 amp is ideal with a 15 amp in line fuse as the total draw would be 14 amps. But bare in mind that u only use the horn briefly and not for long periods like spot lights so any issue of over heating wires ect is reduced so going for 25 amp wire and fuses is a bit overkill as 17 amp wire and a 15 amp fuse would satisfy the needs. You could use lighter wire to go from the relay to the horn as the current would be 7 amps each so 10 amp wire would be ideal for that purpose.
I would use the larger wire to go from the battery to the relay and the negitive wire from the relay and the lighter to go from the relay to the horns.
I hope this is helpful
Excellent that's a great help thanks

Quick Reply: Hella horns (which stock horn wire do I use)