TD04 Water Line Washers

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2014, 07:26 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD04 Water Line Washers

Hi all,

don't suppose anyone knows the size of the copper washers that go on the water lines of a TD04 turbo? Mine leak because there are no washers but don't know what size to get and my local EuroCarParts have no idea!

Also could anyone tell me how to bleed the coolant after fitting the washers? All my previous cars have had a self bleeding system so I've got no idea!

Thanks!
Old 27 April 2014, 07:44 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by choness2004
Hi all,

don't suppose anyone knows the size of the copper washers that go on the water lines of a TD04 turbo? Mine leak because there are no washers but don't know what size to get and my local EuroCarParts have no idea!

Also could anyone tell me how to bleed the coolant after fitting the washers? All my previous cars have had a self bleeding system so I've got no idea!

Thanks!
In mm OE are 17.90 outer, 12.10-12.20 inner and 1.00 thick. So 18x12x1

Slightly thicker will be ok as will a slightly bigger outer as long as the inner is the right size. Make sure to torque the bolts correctly. You need two for each bolt.

You shouldn't need to bleed as the coolant there goes through the turbo and then drops back into the header tank. Any bubbles will simple flow straight through the return hose and expel into the header tank. You will probably make quite a mess taking the hose off the turbo if the system is full. Get rags ready and prepare for a steamy start up.
Old 27 April 2014, 07:47 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Great thanks! Lucky the system doesn't have a lot in it, so hopefully I won't cause too much of a mess!
Old 27 April 2014, 07:49 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by choness2004
Great thanks! Lucky the system doesn't have a lot in it, so hopefully I won't cause too much of a mess!
If the system is very low (I mean very very low) and you are planning on topping it up with a lot of coolant you may want to empty it and refill properly. There are lots of guides on how to do it.
Old 27 April 2014, 07:53 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Yeah the system is very low, not a lot in it as the radiator hoses where changed. I'll have a look for the guide and do a complete change
Old 27 April 2014, 07:57 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

This was from a previous post and is what I have always done.

Disconnect top hose (rad end) and slowly fill engine through top port until full.
Reconnect top rad hose.
Disconect the small hose that goes from the H/T to the rad (highest point of rad) at the rad end.
Fill Via H/T whilst keeping finger over the hose, when coolant comes out the rad pop the hose back on.
Continue to fill via the header tank untill a couple of cm from the top.
Fill expansion tank.
Massage top and bottom hoses to get air bubble out.
With rad cap left of, set the heater and fan controlls to medium and start car.
Allow the car a few mins for hot air to start to come through the fans, keep checking for this as you keep an eye on the level in the header tank and top up a little when required.
Massage top and bottom hoses to get air bubble out.
As the hot air is now coming through the fans, and the level in the H/T is stable with no air bubles be expelled, its safe to put the rad cap on.
Job Done.

The key is to fill slowly. If you pour loads in too quickly air gets caught in it. It is tedious but worth it for not airlocks.

Takes about 7 litres to fill. Use a 50/50 mix of the correct coolant and deionised water. Unless you are using premixed of course.
Old 27 April 2014, 08:00 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Champion cheers buddy, I'll definitely give it a shot when I get it home. Am going to give it a full service so hopefully I won't cry too much about the Spark plugs!