Hawkeye Engine Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2014, 05:41 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye Engine Problems?

Hi everyone,

Just hoping for some clarification here really. I will soon be in the market for either a wide track blob eye or a hawkeye. I am aware the 2.5 in the Hawk does suffer from some engine issues, just wondering if someone could tell me exactly what i could be facing if i bought one which hasn't been forged already. I do know the hatch suffers from piston and head gasket issues, just need to know if its the same for the hawk eye..

Following that, what model drives better over the hawk or wide track blob? any major differences?

Thanks

Ryan
Old 24 March 2014, 05:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

worst case full engine rebuild and new parts. when minewent (before i bought it) wiped out everything including the turbo. Best case, doesn't actualy blow.

Once built right they are awesome though
Old 24 March 2014, 05:58 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2.0 blob widetrack is essentially a hawk with blob-eye nose on it different dash clocks and 2.0 engine. the 2.0 has less torque than the 2.5 but is widely regarded as a stronger engine. They should drive more or less the same (given mods etc) but the 2.5 will be more effortless to drive, with more low down torque.
Old 24 March 2014, 06:32 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Ryanj1993
Hi everyone,

Just hoping for some clarification here really. I will soon be in the market for either a wide track blob eye or a hawkeye. I am aware the 2.5 in the Hawk does suffer from some engine issues, just wondering if someone could tell me exactly what i could be facing if i bought one which hasn't been forged already. I do know the hatch suffers from piston and head gasket issues, just need to know if its the same for the hawk eye..

Following that, what model drives better over the hawk or wide track blob? any major differences?

Thanks

Ryan
Hi Ryan
The Hawks can suffer from "blow by" where the head gaskets leak rather than fail outright. This can drag on for some time before it becomes obvious.
The piston ring lands can fail also, resulting in smoking and low compression. We have pulled the engines out to deal with head gaskets only to find the ring lands busted when curiosity got the better of us, despite no real evidence of failure. It doesn't do to ignore issues with these, as it can take the block out if left to its own devices.
A fix can be just dropping in new pistons and head gaskets, although I'd personally rather do a decent job while it's in bits.
Old 24 March 2014, 07:23 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

thanks for the responses guys.. now the big decision... Hawk or Blob