Question about Intercooler spray

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2014, 03:40 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Intercooler spray

Hi all

Can someone tell me if there are any real world advantages when using water spray to cool an intercooler?
I have heard that some people like to use an ice bucket for their intercooler spray when doing drags etc and it appears to have some degree of success, and that got me thinking.

Basically I have an idea to incorporate a water chiller to cool the intercooler. A water chiller can cool water to around 3c by compressing gas. So if a chiller with approx. 4000w of cooling power was incorporated to the IC then perhaps it could work?

Does anyone know what sort of air temps pass through a standard TMIC on full boost?

I have used a water chiller to cool my pc, and the overclock on that puts out a ton of heat. When I was using a standard Rad + fans, core temps would reach up to as much as 90c with a high overclock - when I switched to a water chiller I managed to get temps down to 45c on the same overclock, so I know it works here.

Has this idea ever been considered for cooling an intercooler?

cheers
Old 22 March 2014, 05:02 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

firstly to note that the use of intercooler sprayboom's are not usually permitted on track or dragstrip.
I've had some success with a custom 4 nozzle spray boom which sprays water up into the incoming air flowing through the bonnet scoop/splitter, this is a very simple tank/ pump in the boot system, activated manually by a rocker switch on the dash.
Typical inlet temps on standard might be ambient- 15c, turbo out- 130c, intercooler out- 30c (ACT)
On my set up I record, ambient- 15c, turbo out-130c, intercooler out-19/20c ACT, with the spray boom switched on:- intercooler out- 17c, so around 2-4c drop on a charge temp which is already low.
I haven't any measurements of power gain, if there is any.
Trev