Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Fastest Subaru in the UK.......

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2013, 03:26 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fastest Subaru in the UK.......

............running a TD04?

After June's Test and Tune day at North Weald, where much to our surprise we ran the quickest Scoob of the day beating Impreza's equipped with VF35's, VF48's and even a billet 20G, we returned last Sunday for July's Test & Tune day.
A few minor changes had taken place between June's event and now and a further 12 or so kgs removed from the car in an effort to stay consistant with our previous times. With ambient temperatures at this event looking to be way way above what they were back in June we'd need all the help we could get.

An intercooler water spray system was rigged up to aid the MY04 WRX top mounted intercooler in reducing charge air temperatures. At Junes event the TMIC would be sitting at around 18 degrees pre stage, measuring temperatures of the intercooler this week leading up to the event saw over 40 degrees with the car just sat outside in the sun and with ambient air temperature looking to be over 30 degrees the WRX TMIC was certainly going to have it's work cut out.

Next job was the fitment of a switch to the clutch pedal to utilise the EcuLabs Full Throttle Shifting function. This allows the throttle plate to be held wide open through upshifts virtually eliminating any drop in manifold pressure between gear changes

With the small jobs complete and the R888's packed it was time to head home and get the ice on the go............

After Saturday evening, spent charging cameras, laptops and keeping one eye on the freezers progress Sunday morning came around pretty quickly so myself and the wee race-engineer set-off for North Weald.
30 minutes later we arrived to no queue so drove straight in only to find the majority of the pit area already filled. Under the wee race-engineers instruction we bagged a suitable spot alongside an R34 with a couple of guys beavering away under the bonnet, and a nice looking White Evo we later discovered was running 420bhp. First thing was to get cracking with the tea then get signed on.
With signing on complete it was time to prepare the car for drag racing and head off to scrutineering so we popped up the tent, filled it with the tyres, my flask and the passenger seat and joined the queue. The track was now open and the racing had started. By the time we returned from Scrutineering the rest of the team had arrived so we joined them for a quick cuppa before I headed off to join the now very long queue for the track.

Race 1 saw me up against that nice White Evo, you know, that one with 420bhp. Mmmmmm, not much chance here but I'm not here to race others, it's about seeing what a TD04 with the right set-up can do.
It's the first run of the day and I planned to take it fairly easy to confirm that the times were in the same ball park as the last event before switching to the R888's. Having been the first time the R888's and the EcuLabs Full Throttle Shifting function was to be used on this car in a race environment, I needed to know both worked as expected.
I staged pretty quickly after avoiding the water for the burn out boys, now time for the EcuLabs Launch Control function to work it's magic so I buried the throttle pedal. 1.09 seconds later I'm sat there with 1.5bar of turbo boost pressure with two lit yellows awaiting the green to go......
The lights drop and we're off, feels not a bad launch then damn, in all the excitement to get the first race out of the way I hit the limiter in 1st. Once into 2nd gear without lifting the throttle pedal I glance right only to see the Evo behind me and that's how it remains to the line......Subaru 1 - Evo 0
Time was on a par with June's runs with a 13.01 @ 107mph after losing sometime recovering from hitting the limiter. As a quick recap June's runs consisted of a 12.86 @ 105mph, 12.84 @ 107mph followed by the best run to date of 12.72 @ 110mph.
Seems like the FTS is working just fine so I head to the pit area to remove the 4yr old road rubber and fit the R888's, check the logs to ensure the ECU's happy with everything and take the chance for another tea. I end up spending the next couple of hours chewing the fat with various people who've come to watch so decide it's time for another run.

Race 2 see's me up against a Hawkeye WRX I know rather well having mapped it sometime back . His PB by this time is 13.04 @ 104mph iirc so it should be a close race as the car really should be able to pull a mid 12 if only he'd remove the ton of tools in the boot and show a little less care for his gearbox .
It's now 2 o'clock in the afternoon and were just three cars back from the start line. The Full Throttle Shifting function is working as expected, the R888's have been fitted but there's this seering heat, I didn't bring the temperature gun today but I've no doubt that it's well over 30 degrees as the exposed skin on my arms is hot so time to reach for the ice . I make a quick call to the pit crew who quickly come along with a bag full of ice cubes, I lift the bonnet and dump plenty into the water tank supplying the water to the intercooler spray system. For now it's fairly primitive manually operated system so I set about spraying the intercooler with a healthy amount of now nicely chilled water before we enter the staging area.
I stage first and again bury the loud pedal leaving the ECU to sort things out giving me 1.48 bar manifold pressure in anticipation of the green light.
The lights drop and we're off! The launch feels OK but not any better than the road tyres and the Hawkeye's got a good launch too, up into second and he's not far behind, I grab third and she feels like she pulls a little stronger than in the previous run. I grab fourth and cross the line with the Hawkeye only just behind. A fair launch, clean upshifts and the engine felt as strong it could with this wee blower so I'm banking on equaling the previous best of a 12.7
The Hawkeye stays well back from me as the soft R888's are picking up all the loose stones from the exit road and spraying them up and out from behind the car. I collect my slip from the girl at the end of the exit road and I'm chuffed if not a little surprised - 12.57 @ 113mph not at all bad for a standard engine, turbo, intercooler, albeit from a later model WRX, and a remap.
I return to the pit area to check the DeltaDash logs. All is well and the performance data recorded gives us a 0-60mph time of 4.2 seconds and 0-100mph of 10.6 The Hawkeye WRX pulls up behind me with the driver grinning like a cheshire cat - "12.95" he says "at 105mph", so two new PB's from the Mocom Racing stable and the tracks open for a few more hours yet.

I get entered into the Fast 8 Eliminators where I'm into the semi finals against a fast 240Z running a turbo'd Supra lump and Nos

to be continued as time allows............
Old 18 July 2013, 03:28 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Arrow

post reserved for the rest of the days events
Old 18 July 2013, 08:32 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Subscribed
Old 18 July 2013, 09:15 AM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Subscribed......