Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

update on my car,need some thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2009, 09:00 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question update on my car,need some thoughts please.

update on my car, the insurance people have come down to look at my car and they have said to the garage that it will possibly be a write off ,but have not yet informed me ,will probley hear from them in a couple of days,what i want to know is what can i expect with their silly prices that they will offer.i might as well buy back the car because for what they will give me for the car ,i aint gona be able to get another decent one with the money they will probley give me.
but then again what could i get if i bought the car back off the insurance and then broke it for parts or sell it for spares or repair what sort of moneys could i get back on the car.just need some thoughts please guys.
Old 11 June 2009, 09:12 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

if your gonna do that can i have first dibs on the shell please

PS - its crap aint it - our insurance aint paying at all so we're really in a qaundry - for us though, i think if we manage to find a decent shell thats the way for us - worst ways it'll be broken for spares/repairs
Old 11 June 2009, 11:09 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

well the garage i have taken it to said if it is write off it will probley be a cat d and they said to buy it back and they will fix it for £350 ,but then ive got the issue of it being a cat d if and when i come to sell it,they said the damage aint that bad and it can be sorted, but cause its a 1993 they wont pay out for a repair and will just probley write it off,even the garage said as a hole the car is in really good nick very clean,which makes me more mad cause either way i lose, cause i love my car,and its either gona be writtern off or it will have to broken up,what do you do,i mean how much could you really get to brake it i would rather sell it as a hole, so there aint all the messing around of selling each bit.i just dont know what to,thats why i wanted some in put into what others would do.
Old 12 June 2009, 12:25 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Even as a Cat D, it won't be worthless.

Look at it from the point of view of what it will cost you to put it back on the road for your use ......... Worry about selling it when it comes to that.
Old 12 June 2009, 06:28 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I agree Nate, worst case its 25% cheaper price to sell, not a lot when you look at the prices and if they operate the same rules as we had you buy it back for 10% of the payout. our transit was £250 had 1k of repairs as was fronnt and back so we are still £££'s up.
Old 12 June 2009, 08:11 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

insurance company will offer u the lowest amount they can at first,so what ever u get offered first time out turn it down.
Old 12 June 2009, 08:47 AM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

yeah i supose i can still have my fun if i buy it back and get it repaired,then just worry about selling it when the time comes like you say,why should i have to suffer just cause of someone else,right as i may have some spare money from this i might as well think about a re map how can i tell if my ecu can be re maped i dont think its a 1993 engine cause it had a engine swop by last owner,which it says on the bill it was swopped from a wrx engine to a earlie sti engine which he paid £1100,im not to sure if it is but what sort of gains could i get,my car has a de cat with after market back box not sure what it is about a 5" end,uprated fuel pump,induction kit,front mount intercooler,what sort of figers could i be looking at with them mods,might as well have some bits done if im gona keep it,cheers

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2009, 08:54 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

jolly green monster mate,he will be able to point you in the right direction and simon is a nice fella !!!
Old 12 June 2009, 10:04 AM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

ok nice one
Old 12 June 2009, 10:27 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally i'd tell the insurance company to withdraw the claim if it's only going to cost £350 to fix. Make sure that will avoid it becoming a cat d and you'll get your car back.
Old 12 June 2009, 12:18 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

but why should i have to pay for it,i see what your saying and if i was abit more flush i would do it,but at this moment and time the my work just aint been as good as it used to so carnt really afford to pay out on it for something like that
Old 12 June 2009, 01:17 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt go that route either TBH unless the person who hit you was willing to pay for the repairs. You will get some money from it as long as the repairs/buy back amount are all sensible with the payout.
Old 12 June 2009, 01:43 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

im gona see what they offer and see if i can get a half decent price with the car included so then ill get it repaired, and maybe be able to do a couple of other bits,ive always been after a safe 340-350 bhp as a target so need to find out what i would need to get on top of a remap to get that as on other post i have a couple of bits hopefully wont need to much more to get there.
Old 12 June 2009, 02:51 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

i was forgetting that the bump wasn't your fault. doh!

to get 340 to 350 (from standard) i'd go for:

set of 550s,
fpr,
sti intercooler,
decent panel filter - and add in a cold air feed to the box,
td05 18g,
full decat with 3" bore system,
decent set of plugs,
new coil packs or leads (depending on type of igintion you have),
map it.

There may be cheaper ways to do it, but make sure it'll be as safe as poss. What mods have you already got, if any?
Old 12 June 2009, 03:51 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

as said in the one of the othe quotes the car has had a thiese bits done but not sur what engine i have engine cause it had a engine swop by last owner,which it says on the bill it was swopped from a wrx engine to a earlie sti engine which he paid £1100,so not sure if that can be mapped,im not to sure if it is a sti engine or not,but what sort of gains could i get,my car has a de cat with after market back box not sure what it is,with 3" pipe,uprated fuel pump,induction kit,front mount intercooler,what sort of figers could i be looking at with them mods
Old 12 June 2009, 04:15 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leescoobynut
as said in the one of the othe quotes the car has had a thiese bits done but not sur what engine i have engine cause it had a engine swop by last owner,which it says on the bill it was swopped from a wrx engine to a earlie sti engine which he paid £1100,so not sure if that can be mapped,im not to sure if it is a sti engine or not,but what sort of gains could i get,my car has a de cat with after market back box not sure what it is,with 3" pipe,uprated fuel pump,induction kit,front mount intercooler,what sort of figers could i be looking at with them mods
Mapping is all down to the ecu not the engine. Being an sti engine it should in theory be a little stronger. All the early models all need a piggy back chip or replacement ecu to be able to map them. Cheapest way is to piggy back the standard ecu. This will be around the £500 mark for a fitted and live mapped chip.

with the bits you've already got i'd say a safe 290 - 300 (if on a td05) with nothing more than the mapping. you might get more but boost levels will be higher and you'll probably max out your injectors. bear in mind you might kiss goodbye to your gearbox. it's not uncommon for them to go coil packs will start to fail at higher boost levels so it's an idea to change them out, that's another £200 straight off.

Best bet would be to speak to the likes of xtreme scoobies, mocom racing, jolly green monster etc and they'd be able to give you a better idea as to which route to go down. sounds like you've got all the basics in place.

anyway bhp figures are just for boasting, torque figures are where it's at
Old 12 June 2009, 04:25 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

If its an import and declared an import they wont let you buy it back,,,,,
if uk spec you can withdraw the claim,,
I can help a little, depens if a v25 has been submitted to swansea,
PM me if you want

JJ
Old 12 June 2009, 04:28 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

right ok well when i hear from the insurence ill start ringing around to see what they can do,with 300bhp what sort of boost would you be running cause it might be enough for me,i dont want to go mental or anything,all i need is a ride in a 300 bhp car to see what it fills like now and i think that would make my mind up.
Old 12 June 2009, 04:32 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blacrat00@hotmail.com
If its an import and declared an import they wont let you buy it back,,,,,
if uk spec you can withdraw the claim,,
I can help a little, depens if a v25 has been submitted to swansea,
PM me if you want

JJ
dont tell me that ...what is a v25 how would i know if its been declared as a import would that be on the log book,why wont they let me buy it back,
Old 12 June 2009, 04:34 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

i meant v23
pm me and talk there,

jj
Old 12 June 2009, 04:36 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

i dont know how you tell if its an import apart from the log book, would say, first registered on, and imorted on, cant remember at the min

jj
Old 12 June 2009, 06:53 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

this aint looking good then
Old 12 June 2009, 08:04 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

My brother had a Mitsubishi GTO (GTO being the import), which was written off and he was weighed out £3000 (from memory), and he bought it back for £300.

Is this a new thing about the imports not being possible to buy back?