Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

might still look like a mazda........

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2008, 04:14 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default might still look like a mazda........

but i like the figures the 380s is showing.

PistonHeads Headlines
Old 22 July 2008, 04:24 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 22 July 2008, 04:31 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

380S sounds good......What do you reckon? £35K - £40K ??
Old 22 July 2008, 04:38 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

well the 330bhp sti is priced at £30 so i'd say somewhere in between those figures fozzy.
Old 22 July 2008, 06:43 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

it is £47,500 and you have to place a £10,000 deposit to even be put on the list
Old 22 July 2008, 08:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 22 July 2008, 08:05 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 20withascooby
it is £47,500 and you have to place a £10,000 deposit to even be put on the list
Pfft... fu*k that!

What kind of idiot would spend £47 large on a poxy 380bhp Impreza?

For another £2.5k you could have the godlike GTR...
Old 22 July 2008, 08:08 PM
ABW
Former Sponsor

I think they should let me have one to cut up
Old 22 July 2008, 08:25 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Pfft... fu*k that!

What kind of idiot would spend £47 large on a poxy 380bhp Impreza?

For another £2.5k you could have the godlike GTR...
we'll shouldn't be to quick to slate it ... we must first see how it drives compared to the skyline. The evo FQ400 was similarly slated but that car was awesome in a way never before seen in a car.

47k for a bespoke and handbuilt engine by Prodrive who are without question the best at building engines doesn't sound too crazy. People pay 10k+ for engines built by complete idiots!!

the car looks awesome on paper. I for one will be having one.
Old 22 July 2008, 08:40 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

if they built that concept Prodrive car that made clarkson puke (P2?) and offered it for 47k you have people queing round the corner to buy one. 47k for the latest thing?

said it before and i'll say it again, it could be as fast as lightspeed and i wouldn't have one. it's a dog of a car.

i agree with your comment about a handbuilt prodrive engine, i'm sure it'll be a belter but even the heavily tested PPP can be improved upon very easily. it's just a shame it's got to sit in the shell it's destined for
Old 22 July 2008, 08:41 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Good for you fella...

However i dont have £50K, but if i did. It wouldn't be buying that.

Cant see that beating a Corvette Z06 on the drag strip, the Porsche GT3 on track or lapping the ring in under 7min 27 sec.

Prodrive built or not... it aint even gonna be near a GTR.

I'd bet my car on that!
Old 22 July 2008, 08:43 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

getting there
but does seem expensive
think i would choose the gtr at the moment
look forward to the results of the roadtests

budgie
Old 22 July 2008, 08:56 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Good for you fella...

However i dont have £50K, but if i did. It wouldn't be buying that.

Cant see that beating a Corvette Z06 on the drag strip, the Porsche GT3 on track or lapping the ring in under 7min 27 sec.

Prodrive built or not... it aint even gonna be near a GTR.

I'd bet my car on that!
of course mate. but for 47k you are comparing it to a 4 year old GT3 (with no warranty) and similar age Vette ... which i'm sorry are pigs to drive after owning a scoob. I'm sure you've driven one as I have and I have to say it reminded me of being on a rollercoaster - you just sit and hold on and have no control over what is happening. As much as I respect you, and I actually do , you do place a heavy emphasis on the ring and what a car can do around it. It doesn't necessarily make a car great simply because it laps it in 7.27.

I'll be extensively testing a GTR in two weeks time so I will have a firm opinion on what it is really like. Of course I imagine I will love it to bits but a hand built engine by prodrive is a HUGE stick in the side of any competition for that sort of money ... and a warranty!!

I'm not saying it's better than the GTR but i'm sure that the difference will not be monumental.

p.s. no offence meant in anything i've said. just having an adult discussion - you seem to be one of the only people on here that can
Old 22 July 2008, 09:04 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

I agree fella and see your point.

I agree that the ring time isnt the be all/end all etc. However each one of those cars the GTR was pitched against is a bit of a benchmark in their field and all cost considerably more than the GTR.

However the GTR car is a performance car, and i put emphasis on the word Performance. Nobody is going to buy the Impreza to do motorway miles in or cruise etc. They will buy it as a out and out performance car.

And thats the aspect im looking at it in.

As a performance car, look at all the extra performance you get from the GTR for only £2.5 grand more. The GTR is better in almost every aspect as far as i can see for effectively the same money. It seems to me as if the Impreza will undoubtedly be quite good but more relying on the fact its will be sold in limited numbers and have the halo'd "Prodrive" branding behind it.

Kind of selling off of their name if you know what i mean.
Old 23 July 2008, 08:04 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree fella and see your point.

I agree that the ring time isnt the be all/end all etc. However each one of those cars the GTR was pitched against is a bit of a benchmark in their field and all cost considerably more than the GTR.

However the GTR car is a performance car, and i put emphasis on the word Performance. Nobody is going to buy the Impreza to do motorway miles in or cruise etc. They will buy it as a out and out performance car.

And thats the aspect im looking at it in.

As a performance car, look at all the extra performance you get from the GTR for only £2.5 grand more. The GTR is better in almost every aspect as far as i can see for effectively the same money. It seems to me as if the Impreza will undoubtedly be quite good but more relying on the fact its will be sold in limited numbers and have the halo'd "Prodrive" branding behind it.

Kind of selling off of their name if you know what i mean.

Yeh I see where you coming from but it's a pretty damn good name to sell off on ... one of my previous cars was tinkered with by the fabled crew and the result was absolutely mind blowing. therefore the prospect of a bespoke engine is mouth watering for me, and almost too good an opportunity to pass. I don't really give two hoots about residuals but I'm pretty certain that they will hold their money too. Another massive bonus is that a massive percentage of the sheep will never even get to see one on the road let alone drive one so all the slating that will ensue on here will be full of bull**** facts and figures from all the anoraks waving their copies of tw@t monthly ... and you will get months and months of cheap laughs out of it

Obviousely i'm sure the GTR will be superior (as i've said) but this won't be far off the mark.
Old 23 July 2008, 09:15 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Its the "hand built" by Prodrive that will attract people without a doubt

Previous PPP's and Suspensions are just developed by Prodrive

This car is going to be special although not sure if it will reach cult status but only time will tell.I Don't follow the Evo forums too much much I don't get the impression the FQ400 is treated say like the 22b although I have been known to be wrong before LOL. Its percieved status of course doesn't effect its drive
Old 23 July 2008, 09:25 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Its the "hand built" by Prodrive that will attract people without a doubt

Previous PPP's and Suspensions are just developed by Prodrive

This car is going to be special although not sure if it will reach cult status but only time will tell.I Don't follow the Evo forums too much much I don't get the impression the FQ400 is treated say like the 22b although I have been known to be wrong before LOL. Its percieved status of course doesn't effect its drive
the problem with any of these 40k+ cars is that the majority of the enthusiasts (and I use that word very tentatively) will not be able to afford to buy one and/or maintain one. Subaru and Mitsis are aimed at the 15/25k budget bracket and the 40-50k budget bracket is a different world. Therefore people do, and this does happen, slate such cars from the outset without ever driving or understanding the actual workings of the car. This happened with the FQ400 and will no doubt happen with the 380S. People will always believe that you can buy a lower priced model and 'make' it into the bespoke versions. this is never the case. Having sampled a tuned evo FQ320 and then an FQ400 (many times thanks to my good friend Neil and his trust in my driving) the difference between the two was compelling.

I think this is a move in the right direction for subaru and they are finally starting to cut their own niche in the performance car market. The new look was the start, now we are getting bespoke built engines ... this is a very exciting time for any true enthusiasts.
Old 23 July 2008, 09:36 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

It will be certainly interesting to drive the car

I guess it will also be interesting to see if Mr Clarkson gives it the same treatment he dished out to the FQ400
Old 23 July 2008, 09:39 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

It will be certainly interesting to drive the car

I guess it will also be interesting to see if Mr Clarkson gives it the same treatment he dished out to the FQ400
unforunately Mr Clarkson now believes his own hype and that the performance of a car on their test track and by him is the be all and end all of all cars. His opinions are worthless and I think the motoring world now begins to understand that.

I look forward to testing mine extensively
Old 23 July 2008, 10:08 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
unforunately Mr Clarkson now believes his own hype and that the performance of a car on their test track and by him is the be all and end all of all cars. His opinions are worthless and I think the motoring world now begins to understand that.
LOL

I look forward to testing mine extensively
I must admit I was surprised you bought the white one knowing this was coming! I know your not interested in residules but I would be interested to know what Subaru offer you for yours
Old 23 July 2008, 10:17 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL

I must admit I was surprised you bought the white one knowing this was coming! I know your not interested in residules but I would be interested to know what Subaru offer you for yours
as you said matey I don't really care about residuals. I'm going to lose about 2.5k on the car. I bought it at the lower price and also the colour combination is highly attractive to buyers, as well as what i've done since.

Also I wanted to try out the new scoob for a period of ownership so that I could see for myself if it was a good as my very trusted dealer and friend claimed it was ... now I know it is I am hooked!
Old 23 July 2008, 10:27 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I guess Jon will be selling a few of these
Old 23 July 2008, 10:30 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

I guess Jon will be selling a few of these
probably all of them! guy is a legend
Old 23 July 2008, 10:38 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

probably all of them! guy is a legend
FFS stop posting stuff I agree with I have a reputation to uphold you know
Old 25 July 2008, 12:18 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

A bit more info.

New Imprezas | evo News | News | evo

380S "expected to be on sale by the end of the year priced at roughly £40,000."
Old 25 July 2008, 12:39 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

See this yesterday, probably a very good car but still looks as it does

Crying out to be made into a 3 door IMHO.