Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Expert mechanical advice needed :(

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2008, 05:42 AM
johnny_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert mechanical advice needed :(

i recently had my rocker gaskets replaced cos it was leaking n there were smokes coming out of the scoop.. after getting the gaskets replaced, she drives completely different, it is now quiet laggy n lumpy, lost alot of top end power, ive filled the engine oil up to the max n after 300miles, the dip stick was completely dried.. its not leaking anymore but the engine oil just disappears.. my friends says it could possibly be the oil sump gasket??? im not mechancal minded so i dont have a clue on what im looking at or what it is, so any expert advice or recommendations would be appreciated..im too scared to take it above 4000rpms now n im considering not even drive it till i can get it fixed (£40-£50 a bottle of engine isnt cheap if i hav to fill it up every 200-300 miles + £80 petrol a week) so please if anyone have any ideas what the problem is, i would be greatful if u can help telling me what i need to do..
much thanks
Old 08 June 2008, 09:58 AM
spally
Scooby Regular

hi Johnny, sorry not mechanically minded either, but i would suggest not driving it until you have got a proper check on her.
Old 08 June 2008, 10:04 AM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnny_sti
i recently had my rocker gaskets replaced cos it was leaking n there were smokes coming out of the scoop.. after getting the gaskets replaced, she drives completely different, it is now quiet laggy n lumpy, lost alot of top end power, ive filled the engine oil up to the max n after 300miles, the dip stick was completely dried.. its not leaking anymore but the engine oil just disappears.. my friends says it could possibly be the oil sump gasket??? im not mechancal minded so i dont have a clue on what im looking at or what it is, so any expert advice or recommendations would be appreciated..im too scared to take it above 4000rpms now n im considering not even drive it till i can get it fixed (£40-£50 a bottle of engine isnt cheap if i hav to fill it up every 200-300 miles + £80 petrol a week) so please if anyone have any ideas what the problem is, i would be greatful if u can help telling me what i need to do..
much thanks

if it was the oil sump gasket i woule expect you too see piles of oil on the floor....
Do you see any oil from teh exhaust when you start it up after letting it sit a while? if so could be the turbo seals.
Otherwise if it feels lumpy then possibly the rings gone on one of the pistons and it's lumpy due to getting oiled up.
take the plugs out and have a look see if they appear black and oily...
Old 08 June 2008, 10:09 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possible rings worn.

The boost is then blowing by and coming back through the breather system. The added pressure in the breathers is more than likely what could have caused the rocker gasket failure and then worn rings results in high oil consumption.

Have you compression checked it?
Old 08 June 2008, 02:46 PM
johnny_sti
Scooby Regular

thanks guys.. i havent had anything checked since i bought the car back last october, she was driving like a brand new car n there was no lag or what so ever.. but i have been told that the turbo was on its was out or turbo seals needed replacing.. theres no oil coming out anywhere right now neither..
where can i get it checked?? i dont wanna drive it too far in case she cease up, im gonna stick another 4 litres in today.. is there any where local i can go her get looked at? i live in ockendon (lakeside area), tho TDI is jus down the road from me, but they charge £80 per hour n they dont normally tell u how long they'll need to look at it for..