Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Important for mapper?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2013, 12:46 PM
Matthew Gill
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Important for mapper?

I've had my car mapped by 3 people now and none have asked me what all my mods were. On my last map I said afterwards that it was making good power to say it has a catted downpipe, the mapper then said "now you tell me."

I just wondered if it makes a difference if the mapper knows the car has a cat still on etc or not?
Old 24 October 2013, 01:41 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You gotta remember that a mapper will do this daily on all types of cars so they will be able to tell straight away if its been decatted or not. On top of this once their laptop is connected to your car they will see how the car is performing mate threw details that you and I wouldnt be able to see
Old 24 October 2013, 01:42 PM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I've had my car mapped (5-6 times) I've been asked what mods I'm running. But I was once told that if you blindfold a mapper and sit him in a car that he should be able to map what's in front of him without knowing what he's in- of that makes any sense
Old 24 October 2013, 04:15 PM
Matthew Gill
Scooby Regular

I thought having a cat in the system might slightly change the air fuel ratio readings and a mapper might give tolerances for it etc..

It also seems strange a mapper has never asked me what Turbo I am running and what boost I want.

The first time I had the car mapped I said to the mapper before he started will I be running about 1.4 bar boost, he said yes but the print outs on the RR showed jut 1 bar.
Old 25 October 2013, 03:19 AM
overactor
Scooby Regular

Before I calibrate (Map) any car, even if it is a return customer wanting more aggressive mapping or after new modifications, I ask them a list of questions.

List all modifications to the

Tuning Software- IE Cobb, Opensource, AEM, Hydra Ect
Which Fuel-930ct, Racegas E85 ect

Engine- Specifically,
Which Injectors,
Intake or MAF housing,
Which Turbo,
What are you using for boost control,
What fuel pump, rails, lines are you running
Which engine components- Rods, bearings, pistons, compression, cam's, valves, springs and retainers, port and polish ect.
What header, up pipe ( EWG or IWG), Downpipe catted or decatted.

Brakes- Pads, Rotors, Lines, Fluid ect-
This for some strange reason is either the first mod performed ( Which is great!) or the last mod performed (bad) You dont need a 600+WHP car on stock brakes, unable to stop.

Suspension- Same reason as brakes should be one of the first mods as a base for a solid track, rally, or aggressive street car.

Transmission and clutch- I have has cars come in tuned them to 550+whp and smoke the clutch on the dyno, then they say "I have a stock clutch"
Same would go with say a usdm 5 speed and power over 350whp. They break.... bad!

Other changes in the map could be from how you intend to drive the car.

Is it a street car only?( better fuel mileage) Rally-x, Stage Rally( restricted?) Time attack( boost as hard and soon as possible?) Drag racing? ect.

And when I am finished Mapping on a dyno ( I use a SAE 1100 Mustang AWD dyno)

I drive the car on the street to verify that there are no areas that need more attention in the drive ability area of the tune. Then if the owner wants to go for a ride I will datalog and ride along at that time they can go wide open throttle ect.

There is alot to mapping to do it in what I feel is the right way.

Good luck! Drive it hard and givem hell.
Old 25 October 2013, 09:26 AM
Matthew Gill
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the lengthy answer, I suppose like all things Subaru related every tuner has his own way.

2 performance Tuners in Wakefield for example, one of them fitted me a turbo without asking me about my fueling, the car was undriveable! and the other told me I needed everything under the sun before they fitted one to Billy.
Old 25 October 2013, 09:31 AM
overactor
Scooby Regular

I dont like to be suprised when im on the dyno. And knowing the use of the car determines how aggressivly it will be tuned ect. A street car can be a bit more aggressive than a track car( on pump gas) generally because the car isnt being pulled hard for 30+ minutes at a time. People here utterly refuse to run good fuel to make big power. everyone wants 500+whp on 93 oct because hey I saw someone do it on nasioc. lol

I love this board much better than the stateside forums!