Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

94 wrx turbo boost

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2012, 03:39 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 94 wrx turbo boost

Hi everyone I hav a 94 wrx it has td05 turbo decat straight thru 2 back box and cone filter when a bought it was told it was remapped 2 300bhp but no proof of that! It is running about 0.8bar just wondering how do u up the boost if advisable? If so is it easy 2 do without spending big money and without chance of blowing motor? Cheers
Old 02 January 2013, 02:14 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

0.8 sounds a bit low- and wouldn't =300 bhp. Could be normal for a wagen though.First thing is to make sure the oem boost control system is fully functional.ie all pipes connected properly and solenoid working ok as well as map sensor and all other vacuum pipes ok. What code is your ecu under the passenger footwell plate under the carpet ? Does it look like it's been opened up? If the ecu is the original ecu then the best move is to upgrade it depending on your budget, there's a few options out there.
Old 02 January 2013, 07:29 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks 4 the reply I'm not sure on the code on Ecu I had al of the carpet out last week dryin out the carpet at a quick glance it didn't look like it had been opened. How would u check the boost solenoid? It has a sytec dump valve on it wonderin if loosing any Boost thru that
Old 04 January 2013, 07:21 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Check the code on the ecu first, The 2 digit code in big letters, for a '94 WRX import you will probably have a U8 or 2C ecu . Those ecu's max at 11.47 psi which is around 0.8 bar. If it's got the right ecu then thats normal for your car. Assuming boost control system is working ok.
Once you've established what you've got, you need to give the engine a good check out that it's perfectly set up then you can play with it. A simple step would be to put a Z4 ecu on from a 95-96 wrx saloon import raising boost to 12.78 psi or 0.9 bar. Giving 260 PS. Second hand ones can be had for around £50ish.
Above that then you need to put a chip in the ecu (some are ok others are not) or get an esl daughter board and remapped properly which is the best choice, I think around £550 for this.
Ecu controlled boost is the safest way to run the engine, take control away from the ecu and you gamble your engine. I have seen plenty of blown up engines thrown rods, snapped valves etc. What they all have in common is one thing - bleed valves and manual boost controllers fitted.
Old 05 January 2013, 12:40 AM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your post Jason I will have a look at the Ecu I'm pretty sure it's 2c but will find out for sure over the weekend. If it is the standard Ecu u will probably try and get a z4 Ecu as not spending a lot on this scooby but I am very gratefully for your information I am new to scoobys so all of the information is very helpfull to me. Would a z4 be plug in job done?
Old 05 January 2013, 08:08 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Z4 just swap it over and go. Doing a specific driving can help to begin with until it's learnt some might say, I forgot the proper procedure now it doesn't make any difference anyway tbh.
Old 11 February 2013, 09:29 PM
Ryan Hawkins
Scooby Regular

Hi I have looked on my Ecu it is w6 is that a standard Ecu? I have ordered myself a z4 I got it for £60 hopefully will be with me Thursday