Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

need help choosing a map/mapper

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2012, 12:03 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default need help choosing a map/mapper

right ive never had to have a car mapped before and im a little unsure of whats best to get done. the car is a 54 plate wrx with a ecutek map on it at the min but im having a load of work done to it in jan and it will need mapping.

the full spec when completed will be

-sti bottom end with wrx heads,cosworth high pressure oil pump and rcm water pump
-sti de-cat up-pipe (wrapped)
-3" de-cat downpipe (miltek)
-3" de-cat center section with resonator removed (miltek)
-japspeed backbox
-low mileage vf28 turbo
-650cc injectors
-cosworth panel filter
-sti top mount intercooler/scoop/undertray
-swrd 255LPH fuel pump
-hks ssqv
-3 port boost solenoid from a classic
-pfr7 plugs
-tgv deletes

i want a fast and loud everyday road car,something that will have me grinning but not pushing the realms of reliability regarding the gearbox.

i like the sound of the mafless map that andrew carr does,it has features such as anti-lag/launch control/switchable maps etc etc

i would like the car mapped on the road (open source i think its called) but 1 thing that concerns me is what speeds i will have to get to to do it? how long does it take etc? i know roughly the bhp will be around 320+ buts its not figures im after its a damn good drive i want,minimal lag,early-ish spool and plenty of pops and bangs

share with me your thoughts and maybe any more cheap-ish mods i could do to help me out,shall i wrap my entire exhaust system? shall i go front mount + induction kit? what about sti headers or are my wrx items ok? do i need an uprated boost pipe?

when all the work and items have been fitted i take it i cannot drive the car until its mapped which is a bugger as its my everyday car so i will need a mapper to come to me

cheers-matt
Old 29 December 2012, 12:18 AM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would want it initially mapped on a dyno followed by a road test and tweak. Pat Herborn for me

Get it to a dyno, even if you have to put it on the back of a trailer

That's all I have to say on the subject, but good luck with whatever you do matey and get it along to the monthly meet

Cheers

Steve

PS see you on MS matey

Last edited by Steve777; 29 December 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 29 December 2012, 12:31 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve777
Personally I would want it initially mapped on a dyno followed by a road test and tweak. Pat Herborn for me

Get it to a dyno, even if you have to put it on the back of a trailer

That's all I have to say on the subject, but good luck with whatever you do matey and get it along to the monthly meet

Cheers

Steve

PS see you on MS matey
yes mate i want to get to a few meets this year,yeah i am on midland scoobies matey
Old 29 December 2012, 12:32 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt

If you are like the idea of the Mafless,ALS,LC and other features,you can have this via Open source

Mafless,ALS,switchable maps are NOT available via EcuTek for yours to the present date

If car is mapped only on the road is not called Open source(many EcuTek mappers map their customers cars too on the road) ,Open Source is called due SW used not where is mapped,many Open source mappers map their customers cars on RR too

You have already STi TMIC with undertray and at your desired BHP level I wouldn't invest again money to the FMIC or induction kit,your parts already installed are good and with right turbo you will have nice car after all

Don't wrap full exhaust(its pointless),just if you have not wrapped DP,wrap the DP and about the boost pipe not sure what you are mean

You can have car mapped for now at road and after car will be driveable you can drive to your nearest RR,which is RCM,there are mapping like Duncan@Race dynamix or Simon@JGM and others mappers

Jura
Old 29 December 2012, 12:36 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Matt

If you are like the idea of the Mafless,ALS,LC and other features,you can have this via Open source

Mafless,ALS,switchable maps are NOT available via EcuTek for yours to the present date

If car is mapped only on the road is not called Open source(many EcuTek mappers map their customers cars too on the road) ,Open Source is called due SW used not where is mapped,many Open source mappers map their customers cars on RR too

You have already STi TMIC with undertray and at your desired BHP level I wouldn't invest again money to the FMIC or induction kit,your parts already installed are good and with right turbo you will have nice car after all

Don't wrap full exhaust(its pointless),just if you have not wrapped DP,wrap the DP and about the boost pipe not sure what you are mean

You can have car mapped for now at road and after car will be driveable you can drive to your nearest RR,which is RCM,there are mapping like Duncan@Race dynamix or Simon@JGM and others mappers

Jura
thanks for the reply mate,i will get the downpipe wrapped then and leave the rest.

regarding the pipe i mean-its this one

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=3038
Old 29 December 2012, 12:44 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
thanks for the reply mate,i will get the downpipe wrapped then and leave the rest.

regarding the pipe i mean-its this one

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=3038

Aha,you mean Inlet pipe,you have few options like Viper,Samco and other makers,just beware before the cheap Inlet pipes,I know few used those cheap inlet pipe which has collapsed under boost,we are run before cheap inlet pipe without the problem at 1.5bar,sometimes is hit and miss with those pipes

Jura
Old 29 December 2012, 12:47 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Aha,you mean Inlet pipe,you have few options like Viper,Samco and other makers,just beware before the cheap Inlet pipes,I know few used those cheap inlet pipe which has collapsed under boost,we are run before cheap inlet pipe without the problem at 1.5bar,sometimes is hit and miss with those pipes

Jura
well im running 1.3 bar at the min on the standard one and it seems fine so i think i will just keep it until it needs replacing
Old 29 December 2012, 01:10 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

well im running 1.3 bar at the min on the standard one and it seems fine so i think i will just keep it until it needs replacing
Hi Matt

OE Inlet pipe usually splitting after time(and causing lots of problems) and Silicone will not split after time

Second thing why I would consider Silicone inlet pipe is with this silicone inlet pipe airflow will be much more smoother(OE is much or less restrictive and can cause lot of turbulence) and mainly as above I said about the splitting

Hope this help

Jura
Old 29 December 2012, 01:15 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt

OE Inlet pipe usually splitting after time(and causing lots of problems) and Silicone will not split after time

Second thing why I would consider Silicone inlet pipe is with this silicone inlet pipe airflow will be much more smoother(OE is much or less restrictive and can cause lot of turbulence) and mainly as above I said about the splitting

Hope this help

Jura
is there a cheaper one around as the one in the link is very very expensive
Old 29 December 2012, 01:41 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Yes they're more affordable options available such as SFS,Viper and really i'm not sure about the Eclipse Performance Stage 2 "unsquashable",friend run older version which has collapsed under 1.3bar

Or try have look here in for sale section,sometimes are here good deals for sale and second not at last option is using intercooler pipework(and silicone joiners) and make own one hard inlet pipe

Jura
Old 29 December 2012, 08:51 AM
TurboAD
Scooby Regular

Andrew Carr is a top guy, worth the travel. As far as mapping on the road you do have to give it full beans in various gears but its nothing any Subaru owner wouldn't love to do! I had mine done yesterday as I had bad surging problems! All gone and the car is running great.

Adam
Old 29 December 2012, 08:57 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboAD
Andrew Carr is a top guy, worth the travel. As far as mapping on the road you do have to give it full beans in various gears but its nothing any Subaru owner wouldn't love to do! I had mine done yesterday as I had bad surging problems! All gone and the car is running great.

Adam
its just the 4th and 5th gear thrashing im worried about because its licence losing territory
Old 29 December 2012, 09:06 AM
blackhawk56
Scooby Regular

andrew carr is top guy and great mapper mapped my hawkeye a load of times over the years wouldnt worry about 4th n 5th gear thrashing as u say mate its nothin you havnt done before in your car andrew will keep you rite
Old 29 December 2012, 09:46 AM
TurboAD
Scooby Regular

It's all good mate, nothing to worry about, 2nd,3rd gear is easy quick blast up slip road, 4th gear up the motorway between junctions nice and quiet
Old 29 December 2012, 05:10 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Matt,

The other consideration is at home what happens if something isn't quite right ? i.e a sensor gone or something that you don't know about ? You then potentially have to put that right and then get the mapper back ? Pay twice ?

Just a thought

Steve
Old 29 December 2012, 05:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Andy will come to your home if you have just had major work.
Old 29 December 2012, 05:47 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Rolling road mapping is fine , and good if you require constant conditions and is very helpful for trouble shooting
On road mapping is also fine and more real world considering that's where you car will be used
Andy carrs price is good for the carberry and I'm sure there's a few on here that have had good results from him
Just be clear what you want , be realistic with you power goal , and ask all the mappers what they recommend and why ?
Old 29 December 2012, 07:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help guys

for some reason im really scared of putting it on the rollers,i dont know what will happen to it when they redline it in every gear
Old 29 December 2012, 07:52 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help guys

for some reason im really scared of putting it on the rollers,i dont know what will happen to it when they redline it in every gear
Why don't you get pat at scoobyclinic to map it up there ( as good a mapper you're gonna get !
Myself and Busta are planning to put ours on the rollers up there
If nothing else you can have a laugh at my mapping attempt lol
Old 29 December 2012, 07:52 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I'll map it ye mate, we will bang it on mi spektrum 128k and tune it to 700bhp

Steve777 has given good advice, get it to a dyno mate and meet the mapper there as there will be more technical back up and parts should you need them

ps, ignore the above
Old 29 December 2012, 07:54 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toneh
Why don't you get pat at scoobyclinic to map it up there ( as good a mapper you're gonna get !
Myself and Busta are planning to put ours on the rollers up there
If nothing else you can have a laugh at my mapping attempt lol
Date and time tony Genuine intrest
Old 29 December 2012, 07:55 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
Date and time tony Genuine intrest
Whenever bustas ready mate , I'll find out ,
Why do you want a laugh too , lol
Old 29 December 2012, 07:59 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Whenever bustas ready mate , I'll find out ,
Why do you want a laugh too , lol
Lol, no i do have a genuine thirst for knowledge and would like to see the carberry in action, also while im down there i have one that needs the 4 wheel alighnment sorting
Old 29 December 2012, 08:06 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Lol, no i do have a genuine thirst for knowledge and would like to see the carberry in action, also while im down there i have one that needs the 4 wheel alighnment sorting
Well I've just messaged him , I'm ready now , been messing last couple of days , no leaks no smoke boost spiking a little but still on two port ,pulling well was running 18/20 psi today , but it was dropping off a little bit ,water & meth plumbed in ,I'd say I'm ready to roll
Crunch time lol
Old 29 December 2012, 08:09 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Well I've just messaged him , I'm ready now , been messing last couple of days , no leaks no smoke boost spiking a little but still on two port ,pulling well was running 18/20 psi today , but it was dropping off a little bit ,water & meth plumbed in ,I'd say I'm ready to roll
Crunch time lol
Yes and lets hope it's not a bad crunch
ps, I'll bring a tow rope,

Have you enabled the anti lag on the carberry ? I want to hear it on that rom.
Old 29 December 2012, 08:16 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Don't run anti lag mate , no need and that will start eating things , I only use the l/c and that occasional because it hammers everything
Forget the tow rope we won't need it
It can't be worse than the aborted attempt last time , leaks , smoke , detting and it still didn't blow
So this times gonna be a walk in the park
Old 29 December 2012, 08:43 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help guys

The best way to describe it is
It's like the scene out of Charlie and the chocolate factory were they're on the paddle boat goin faster and faster and faster , " could go well could end blowing there is now way of knowing , look I see the turbo glowing all the pressure keeps on growing " " STOP "

Then it's over
Old 29 December 2012, 09:38 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Save a bit longer Matt.

Bigger turbo better turbo, VF28's are knocking on a bit now.

Better fuel pump.

Better gearbox.

This is important, why OpenSource, when it's already ECUtek'd?

If you've got a receipt for the licence or at very least know and can prove who mapped it, and you're sure you're going O/S then sell the licenced ECU and buy a standard one, IMO.
Old 29 December 2012, 11:58 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, I'm ready when you guys are it will be fun and to see if my car is actually powerfull or not lol, anytime after new year I'm in.
And will find out if addis threats are real, or is it just banter lol, I'm up for getting my **** kicked lol
Old 30 December 2012, 12:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Yep, I'm ready when you guys are it will be fun and to see if my car is actually powerfull or not lol, anytime after new year I'm in.
And will find out if addis threats are real, or is it just banter lol, I'm up for getting my **** kicked lol
Let us know how you get on.

Quick Reply: need help choosing a map/mapper