Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

newbie needs more power

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2012, 07:47 PM
Bokkie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needs more power

Hi i recently purchased a subaru impreza wrx sti prodrive.
Currently running at aprox 305bhp and i'm looking to kick it up a notch.
If anyone can give me some advice, would be very nice.
I believe the prodrive performance package contains the following.

Prodrive exhaust
Enlarged fuel pump
Remapping
and some other minor changes

I love the car so i do not want to take any chances on blowing up the engine.
I want to push it to the limit but not reck the love of my life.

Thx

Pieter

Last edited by Bokkie; 19 October 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 19 October 2012, 08:03 PM
billyrogers
Scooby Regular

As its an sti prodrive like mine. The only way for more power really is to change the turbo and get bigger injectors and decat then remap. But prodrive ecu are locked and only certain companies can map them i believe

Mines running 324.9 bhp from rolling road. Its had a new exhaust. Decat. K&n typhoon and had the map altered. But all from previous owner.
Old 19 October 2012, 09:02 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Is it a prodrive car or an sti with added ppp or perhaps both. Makes a difference to the power output. Do you have the ppp cert

The sti uk prodrive was to do with styling and nothing to do with power output. Although the ppp could have been added to it also

Last edited by Turbotits; 19 October 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 19 October 2012, 09:14 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

A td05 20g/sc38 etc turbo swap will see you 380-400 some see more and some a little less but thats a ball park figure with supporting mods such as exhaust, sports cat/full de-cat ( preferably the latter ) decent panel filter and a map, safe power level and can retain most of the stock items like injectors, top mount etc.

My 03 blob sti was 345 with full decat, 3" widemouth downpipe in to 2.5" system with no resonators, panel filter and a map but thats where the standard vf35 turbo started to run out of puff

Last edited by Infected by sti; 19 October 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 19 October 2012, 09:26 PM
billyrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Is it a prodrive car or an sti with added ppp or perhaps both. Makes a difference to the power output. Do you have the ppp cert

The sti uk prodrive was to do with styling and nothing to do with power output. Although the ppp could have been added to it also
His said his got approx 305 bhp which is what the PPP pack gives on sti type uk blobs. As he said its uprated fuel pump, exhaust and map ect. Mine came with the Pff7s aswell all fitted from new with certificate
Old 19 October 2012, 09:40 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyrogers
His said his got approx 305 bhp which is what the PPP pack gives on sti type uk blobs. As he said its uprated fuel pump, exhaust and map ect. Mine came with the Pff7s aswell all fitted from new with certificate
yep he did say that. For newbies its easy to confuse the prodrive car with the ppp. I wanted to make sure has what he thinks he has.
Old 19 October 2012, 09:55 PM
billyrogers
Scooby Regular

Fair enough i guess.
Old 20 October 2012, 01:25 PM
JasonVr5/7
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
A td05 20g/sc38 etc turbo swap will see you 380-400 some see more and some a little less but thats a ball park figure with supporting mods such as exhaust, sports cat/full de-cat ( preferably the latter ) decent panel filter and a map, safe power level and can retain most of the stock items like injectors, top mount etc.

My 03 blob sti was 345 with full decat, 3" widemouth downpipe in to 2.5" system with no resonators, panel filter and a map but thats where the standard vf35 turbo started to run out of puff
Gotta love the response frm the VF35 xD, does go out of puff on the far end tho, not to mention issues of boost-creep . . .its good to almost 390hp tho. . .i MIGHT migrate to a TD05-20 . . .
Old 20 October 2012, 03:35 PM
Talking Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bookie, im was in the same boat as you till 3 days ago.

My 2002 PPP sti was dyno'd 2 years ago and results showed 273/260 it would be fair to say that most cars would see a lose over time.

I've just got my car back after having some performance items added and remapped, to give the old girl a new lease of life.

Cobra (track day friendly) exhaust
K & N panel filter
New plugs
Remap

The result was a very surprising 325/328, I was hoping for 310 bhp seeing as the std pump was retained. I also pleased as I didnt want the car tuned to within an inch of its life. The engine has done 85k and I want a very user friendly car.

And user friendly it is. The throttle responce is sharp, the boost is delivered very smoothly, with very little sign that its running out of puff through out the rev range.

Get along to good mapper I say..
Old 21 October 2012, 11:01 AM
kgs66
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running a MY07 Hawkeye with a safe 367 bhp and 412 lb / ft torgue from an ecutek re-map, 100 cpi sports cat (full system), Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, FSE fuel regulator and Cosworth panel filter. (you'd get slightly more bhp with a full decat system but prob not as much torque...i prefer the torque.

No other mods. All work was carried out by Andy Forrest (of AFP) and RA Motorsport Developments in Scotland. Andy is one of the best mappers in the UK and I know he travels all over UK carrying out work. I also believe he can undo the PPP remap which is def required if you want more power. Bit far to travel for you I guess but worth a call to andy for some advice www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk
Old 21 October 2012, 11:10 AM
kgs66
Scooby Newbie
Support Scoobynet!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ps well done at the football Bokkie....any tips on how we can improve our team?