Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL basic run down With Video

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2020, 04:45 PM
Gf8wrxV4ej20g
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESL basic run down With Video

Hi eveyone i will be installing my Esl ecu V4 GF8 ecu and want to start tuning to fix a pig ritch problem....big problem is I'm super new to this and never touched a ecu before.... i asked andy from ESL if there is any videos or info but he hasn't got back to me....so since this corona virus has got eveyone into lockdown i was wondering if anyone with experience is willing to shear LITERALLY any thing on this Ecu.....like for example....how to remove and add fuel in map tabels, what problems you have encountered and fixed, how to hook up a 3 port boost solenoid, what u feel is important to know.... basic anything u can bring to the forum VIA VIDEO.... uploaded on youtube and add the link here...

I would like to have someone explain to me closed loop tuning on esl and how to check out knock control...

Reasons I'm asking for videos....well a picture says a thousand words do i der say a video says 10x lol
Old 02 April 2020, 12:20 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never bothered to stop and make a video but if you have facebook or something I can talk you through the basics and get you up and running?
Old 02 April 2020, 02:35 AM
Gf8wrxV4ej20g
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Bludgod.... i read your fourm on how u had a miss fire with 750jec injectors....that was actually because u had the wrong signal from v4 to v2 intake manifold TPS... how's your car running now ? Can u also shear other problems you bumped into? How would u go about hooking a 3 port boost solenoid ? I may be asking for the moon and star's here but, can we hook up a EGT sensor?
Old 02 April 2020, 09:48 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

last time i had an issue with big side feeds its because they were shooting like a laser beam with no spray pattern, replaced with good injectors and job done but it wasn't my car.

for a 3port, there's 2 wires on it and 3 hoses. The 2 wires go where the existing 2port is hooked up and the vac hoses connect as per the diagram for your solenoid (different manufacturers may have slightly different requirements/layouts).

You can hook up an EGT gauge in the car, the ecu doesn't have an input you can use for it though, if you want that level of flexibility start looking at link and syvecs and a whole new learning curve.
Old 02 April 2020, 10:43 AM
Gf8wrxV4ej20g
Scooby Newbie

Wow unbelievable....shocking jec injectors....****s me how they think thats a good spray pattern and they sell it....lucky u didnt blow somthing up.... yeah i had a feeling i was asking for alot about hooking up a Egt to the ecu...

so with the Esl what can u do with knock control? Does it still have the same factory feature that it will pull timing out if knock happens ? Can u shear any more info on the Esl bludgod ?
Old 02 April 2020, 11:01 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

ESL uses the factory knock control so the ECU will pull timing when it detects knock and the knock advance/ignition advance multiplier is still active meaning you have to consider total timing not just what's in the base table. You can't control the knock filters / settings so if it's picking up false knock you may not be able to tune around it but for most cars this isn't an issue.

If your car is mostly standard and your just tuning for bolt ons assuming the knock sensor is working OK you should be able to take a bit of steering from the ECU knock sum value in the logger.
Old 02 April 2020, 12:14 PM
Gf8wrxV4ej20g
Scooby Newbie

Yeah.....I'm lost when u say The knock advance/ignition advance multiplier is still active meaning you have to consider total timing not just what's in the base table.... i think a video would simplify things cause i got no basic knowledge of how the set up looks like...

i hope my straight cut gears dont cause vibration and causes the ecu to see knock and pulls timing out
Old 02 April 2020, 02:22 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if you have the ecu and the software send me a PM if you want I'll give you my facebook and we can chat it through on messenger.