Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL 'safe' mode

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2019, 01:14 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
yeh i will do - its SSM not OBD yup

ill try to get an auto elec out this weekend if not i know one whos returning from holiday on monday
Old 29 April 2019, 10:28 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

booked in on Friday to have it (the knock sensor circuit wiring) sorted.

CEL hasnt come on at all since last week (nothing stored either), but im still getting no boost. CBA resetting the ECU again so just gonne leave it. Looking forward to getting to the bottom of it.

Last edited by Ash Webster; 29 April 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 29 April 2019, 11:15 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

If the tuner has left the reset on map change ON in your map then going from map 1 to map 2 and back again will reset the ECU.
So is dead easy mate.
Old 29 April 2019, 11:20 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
If the tuner has left the reset on map change ON in your map then going from map 1 to map 2 and back again will reset the ECU.
So is dead easy mate.
what if map switch is only enabled on 1 of the maps though, then he'd be stuck on the 2nd map unable to switch back?
Old 29 April 2019, 11:23 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bludgod
what if map switch is only enabled on 1 of the maps though, then he'd be stuck on the 2nd map unable to switch back?
Isn't map switch one of the 'global' settings, i.e. not map dependent (like the injector sizing map)? I don't have my Scooby/ESL any more, so haven't looked at the software for a while, so I could very well be wrong, but I thought it'd make sense for it to be a global setting to prevent that situation occurring.
Old 29 April 2019, 11:36 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yes it doesn't reset the map,just the fuel and knock trims etc.
You can't get stuck on one of the maps unless you switch 'map switch enable off
Edit: if map switching is disabled then it won't let you change maps anyway.

By default,both 'reset on map switch and 'enable map switching' are active.

Last edited by ossett2k2; 29 April 2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 29 April 2019, 11:51 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Alright nice ill give that a try tonight then switching from 1 to 2 back to 1 again. In theory i should have full boost again straight after reset or do i have to drive a bit before ?
Old 29 April 2019, 12:03 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Alright nice ill give that a try tonight then switching from 1 to 2 back to 1 again. In theory i should have full boost again straight after reset or do i have to drive a bit before ?
Depends entirely on how the map is configured. The OEM/base map would set the IAM to 8 (half) by default, which the ECU allows to increase to 12 and then 16 when it sees no knock within a few miles of setting off. (16 is full - 8 is half etc). There is a setting within the map to configure the default IAM after a reset. A lot of mappers will set this to 16 so that they don't have to wait to see full boost after tweaking something. It'll depend entirely on how it was left by the mapper.
Old 29 April 2019, 12:14 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure I still got full boost when I was playing with IAM and set it to 8 but then not 100% sure on that.
As Ben says it's default at 8. I've set mine to 16.
Old 29 April 2019, 01:08 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Awesome info guys - the picture is becoming clearer for me - definitely learning more about this ECU as i go along... i'ts only a few miles each way to work so i think i need to get out a bit over the week and test out if im getting my boost back after some miles driving.

Does the ECU show you when it is detecting knock (by throwing a CEL) or does it just limit it?
Old 29 April 2019, 01:33 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

It does show the knock events in your map plus it will show on the knock correction table that it's been pulling timing.
Unfortunately you have to plug it in to see.
When you do get the knock sensor sorted I would do a reset,it could be detecting false knock?
Old 29 April 2019, 01:41 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Unfortunately you have to plug it in to see.
thats what i was fearing

aye ill get the sensor wiring sorted on fri , do a reset, then we can sort out a time driving it down to leeds and do some quick logs to see where the ecu is at

worst case is actual knock

best case was just the wiring and ecu reset issue

watch after all this its a loose pipe or air leak!
Old 29 April 2019, 01:45 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Cool
With any luck the new wiring will sort it.
If not we'll have a look and see what's going on.
Old 13 May 2019, 01:04 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Update on this:

Had the wiring re-done last Friday (10 days ago). The guy did ring me up and say it all tested fine so we were a bit confused. I just told him to re-wire it anyway for my piece of mind. He put new connectors on each end and rewired it all.

Hasnt thrown up a code since then. Praying thats that sorted.

Car boosted fine but cut again cut on the way back , down to 0.5 bar.

Done some test driving over the weekend and narrowed it down to - I havent been letting the oil temp get to 70+ before boosting. Since i've reset it again i have let it get to 75 before attempting to boost. Both drives since have been faultless.(boosting to 1.3). However i havent held the boost there for over 1 second yet. More testing to come over the week/end and ill post more result on here. Hopefully problem sorted but knowing my luck,...
Old 14 May 2019, 08:33 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

aaaaand its back on again >.< ****s sake... just on the short drive to work, not even in boost once...

last thing i can try really is getting a new bolt and cleaning the surface.... short of that im out of ideas...
Old 14 May 2019, 04:46 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be fair i think you are barking up the wrong tree, even when i have had an IAM of 8 i still got maximum boost, even when i have had knock, boost is not reduced to the extent you are explaining.
Ive not known the ESL software to limit boost to actuator pressure only no matter what it has seen as bad within the map.

Id be looking at boost solenoid and actuator spring pressure and preload as a starting point
Old 14 May 2019, 05:17 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

I know the mechanical stuff is working fine - its a brand new 3 port mapped in by andy carr.. and it does boost to 1.3 before the CEL...

its only since the CEL that ive been getting 0.5/7 bar.. and thats an intermittent problem that i cannot seem to get to the bottom of...

going to re-tap the bolt hole and get a brand new bolt....

but i do have an ESL cable incoming so i can actually show you guys some logs
Old 14 May 2019, 06:17 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Check for splits on the vacuum hoses between the turbo and wastegate and turbo and BCS, especially the one with the boost restrictor pill in.
Old 16 May 2019, 10:10 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I would think that if the IAM drops to 0 and still detting then esl would restrict boost,never had mine down at 0 so can't say for sure.
Once you have the cable it should give you a better idea.
Just double check there's nowt rattling about under the bonnet which could give you false knock.
When you get the cable,check the IAM and look at your knock control table+knock event counter.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:24 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Ive had my IAM at 0 ( back in the day when i was learning ( still am ha ha ) and set the reset value to 0 ) and it doesnt reduce boost, yes it reduces timing advance learning and wouldnt give me full engine power but if WGDC requests boost it gives it, ive not actually had a scenario where the software has reduced boost to the OP`s drastic level unless you overboost and hit the limit etc, never had it reduce boost to actuator pressure for any CEL or any issues within the map .

Will be interestin to see the ESL once the cable arrives, im hoping the knock table is full of knock values maybe that would reduce boost, dont know, ive only ever had a couple of cells affected never all of them, if its not full of values, hmmmmmm

good luck
Old 16 May 2019, 01:44 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Having read back through your thread and admittedly knowing absolutely nothing about how ESL works (its been good to read the conversations on it though). I cant help but think there maybe a mechanical issue outside of the ECU. As stated above regarding the BCS and checking all connections around it. including vac hose and electrical connections. Then as v-lim Jim suggested check over all the vac hoses and also check the WG actuator fitment and the rods resistence to movement.

I've known of brand new FPR's causing issues. Its not common for brand new components to fail soon after installation but its not unheard of.
Old 16 May 2019, 04:13 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Hopefully the cable comes today or tomorro then i can do some logging -

also apolgies to the people putting about mechanical faults and me discounting them - me being an idiot didnt realise that fuel/vac/air leaks can cause knocking (just assumed it was only under high ish load) - i will be going through the system and checking for leaks where possible -thanks for the inputs ill check the areas you have all advised - any tips on best practise for this? Apart from obvious cracked/loose hoses etc how do i check if there is a leak without putting the system under pressue (driving)?

basically i need to listen to people trying to help me haha! there is more than one possiblity for the ecu to go into safe mode

mechanical failure (vac leak, air leak, fuel leak) -> knock -> ecu goes safe mode
knock sensor broken -> CEL -> ecu goes into safe mode
variety of otherr issues which might cause knock sensor to sense something -> CEL -> ecu goes into safe mode
ECU map wrong -> wrong adjstments -> ecu goes into safe mode

have i missed anything? ahaha

Last edited by Ash Webster; 16 May 2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 18 May 2019, 05:27 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

https://filebin.net/ls89hduudvgdxc40

Heres the logs from the last two days screenshots and the maps

The car ran perfect yesterday whilst logging (annoying cos I was hoping to show when or where my CEL was occurring)
Parked up and left it.

Today started up and now no boost. Plugged it in and as you can see now the knock table has a load of -8.0 values in the middle.. (no stored error codes in the viewer either). 10 mins later the CEL comes on knock sensor fault.

Any ideas?
Old 18 May 2019, 05:54 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

How many knock events have you got? It's pulling a lot of timing around boost,but not at full load,so either not hitting full load of knock control is off in those cells?I'm out so can't see the log files on my phone,I'll have a look later.
Can you upload your map,could do with looking at ign advance table and a few other things.
Old 18 May 2019, 06:50 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

There were no knock events at all,,,

the map should be in the folder too no? Or do I need to do some more screenshots?

yeh just let me know later.

again all the help is greatly appreciated
Old 18 May 2019, 08:08 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I'll have a look at what you uploaded tonight or tomorrow if I get chance,in the meantime there are some helpful members with esl knowledge who I'm sure will have a look see what's causing so much ign retard!
You can save your ECU file via ESL software
Old 19 May 2019, 03:00 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cant see anything within the actual map that would cause knock to that level so has to be mechanical somewhere.
Your reinjection is set to 6000 only when upto temp, Assuming for the "pops n bangs" it has settings for, timing 0, rich fuel etc

Boost is very tame around where you have the -8 so cant see it being too much dialled in again so has to be a mechanical issue

Injector scale is at 1.00 though, not sure if the injectors have been set up for the car or not, when i ran mine at 1.0 it didnt run right

Boost limit is set quite high tho, last 4 segments are 1.55
Old 19 May 2019, 04:15 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Firstly thanks for taking the time to look at the map / logs

let me try to understand just so I’m clear

the engine isn’t knocking, there is something causing it to pick up false knock (sounds) from somewhere i.e bolt torque is wrong, hole needs re tapping, loose in engine bay OR vac leak air leak somewhere

the map is fine (yes he did map in pops and bangs) My max boost on the logs is 1.3 so 1.55 is out of reach anyway no?

also why is there the -8 etc in the second knock table , is that the safe mode?
Old 19 May 2019, 08:58 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

You could do with logging a power run,4th gear if you can,get it to under 2k rpm then WOT and keep it planted upto 7k,use 3rd gear if you have too.
Before you do,reset the ecu,make sure knock control table is clear and the 22 error cleared.
also log the cyclical knock count.
Your 1st log the IAM is 16 and the 2nd log it's down at 0,ESL will pill boost at an IAM of below 2.

I would think it's faulty sensor tbh.
Old 19 May 2019, 09:25 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Just to add,this clip of your log between 5k-6k the the boost is rising but the engine load is jumping about,not sure if this is an indication of a mechanical fault or leak somewhere?

Quick Reply: ESL 'safe' mode