Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Ej225 rod knock

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2018, 11:30 AM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ej225 rod knock

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new in the sense of engine rebuild stuff however this is my third Subaru can't get enough of these ;-)

I have a 2005 forester xt 2.5 which has rod knock im pretty sure that it's slipped a bearing. I have a receipt from the old owner showing head gaskets done in late 2017, even tho it was skimmed then do you guys recommend a skim again ?

main issue here is I've read up a silly amount when it comes to a rebuild and what goes with it however there is one or two points I could do with a little advice on...

1.once you've had rod knock is it ok to litterally strip and replace bearings and machine the shaft if needed with oversized bearings and then reuse the pistons etc ...

2.more than likely if I'm understanding right the rod will prob need replacing so would I replace the set or just the one ?

I should add I'm not after power from her possibly a small remap but that's about as far as I'll go power wise for her.

please forgive if I'm asking silly questions just trying to learn as much as I can before I start.

thanks for your help.
Old 16 February 2018, 12:05 PM
bigsigh
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EJ22 would have been a delightful engine code to find on your block , im guessing you meant EJ255

no point in skimming for skimming sakes, check for flatness first and see if its required.

if you have a knocking rod, you will want to replace the crank rather than grind it.
pistons can be reused provided they are in good order, light hone and new rings ideally provided everything is within tollerance
bare in mind if you have bearing fragments in the oil they will be throughout the engine now, so budget for a new modine and oilpump or you will be doing this all again in the near future
replacing a single rod wouldnt bother me personally, it will depend on the budget of the build and what you want to get from it and how long you want it to last etc.
Old 16 February 2018, 12:11 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

For reference

Old 16 February 2018, 12:21 PM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

Haha yes ej255 sorry I keep doing that even when searching for parts ... , ideally I just want a "reliable" motor lol and by that I purely mean I know the engine through and through rather than having a car not knowing if anything has been serviced or replaced.

Yea my intention really was to replace the crank but I thought I'd get some advice first because every penny helps when it comes to fixing an engine.

forgive my poor knowledge but what is a modine?

thanks
Old 16 February 2018, 12:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsigh
EJ22 would have been a delightful engine code to find on your block , im guessing you meant EJ255

no point in skimming for skimming sakes, check for flatness first and see if its required.

if you have a knocking rod, you will want to replace the crank rather than grind it.
pistons can be reused provided they are in good order, light hone and new rings ideally provided everything is within tollerance
bare in mind if you have bearing fragments in the oil they will be throughout the engine now, so budget for a new modine and oilpump or you will be doing this all again in the near future
replacing a single rod wouldnt bother me personally, it will depend on the budget of the build and what you want to get from it and how long you want it to last etc.
EJ22 was originally used in the Legacy.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 16 February 2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 16 February 2018, 01:14 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Treebo88
forgive my poor knowledge but what is a modine?
thanks
A modine* is a heat exchanger - in this case between oil and water. (oil filter attaches to it)

*Modine is a company that manufactures various types of heat exchangers worldwide. For some reason the above oil cooler has adopted the name down the years.
Subaru just call it an oil cooler.

Last edited by Don Clark; 16 February 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 17 February 2018, 11:43 PM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

Ahh yes I know what you mean now did wonder what that's called
Old 21 February 2018, 01:19 PM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

Small update on this, turns out the tensioner is fine and has most def spun a bearing. Now I've heard some say that the camshafts do get scored when I bearing breaks up inside the engine , as there are 4 would be pretty pricey to replace ... can I just reuse them or do I need to get some polished or anything ? I'm not 100% as there is so many different views on things ...
Old 21 February 2018, 01:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

needs to be stripped and assessed before you know what you'll need, worst case it can take out the block as well. 5er says the bearings wern't replaced when the headgasket failed and i bet thats when the damage was done.
Old 21 February 2018, 01:36 PM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

If I were to take that bet I'd knowingly loose a 5er ha

I had a few bits of paperwork with the car and only trace of work done was litterally just the head gaskets I'm more than sure the timing belt and pulleys etc were not replaced either, so yes I think your dead right, ill be stripping her down soon, I have good company that can hone the bores and skim etc so that's all good I just need to see the extent of it. I'm just hoping it wasn't driven too much like it if at all ...

I'll post some pictures in a few days of the damage and see what you guys think.