Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Advice on CEL resetting please

Old 16 June 2017, 10:40 AM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Advice on CEL resetting please

Hi All,

Any advice would be much appreciated.

WR1 54 plate EJ207 with 35k.

See below the cut & paste of the last thread I had over on the technical part of the forum. Please refer to the bottom part of this thread for the relevant information. I have included the whole thread so you can see the scenario I was in leading up to the reset question.

Thought this section of the forum might be more relevant to my last question pertaining to the actual code reader & clearing the CEL.

Cheers Paul

Break

Hi All,

Purchased the code reader & it worked a treat throwing up code P0230 Fuel pump primary circuit.

I had a feeling that this was the problem as the fuel pump prime on turning on the ignition was very faint so was expecting it to be either the fuel pump relay, fuel pump (not so much as car has only 35k) open circuit in the wiring or bad connection in the wiring on the fuel circuit. The day after the problem I tried the ignition on again & the fuel pump was completely dead with no prime turnover on the pump whatsoever.

Starting troubleshooting yesterday from the start of the circuit.

Checked power at the main fuse board (engine bay) across the terminals for slow blow fuse 5 (relay supply) fine.

Checked continuity through SBF 5. Fine. Checked the relevant ground. Fine

Gave the fuel pump relay (B46-Green-4 pole) a wiggle around & a push in. Not the easiest to get to & hard on my bald head on the carpet upsides down!!!

Car now starts & runs every time (have tried it 8 times over 2 days) with obviously the fuel pump priming every time nice & loud as it should be confirming a proper electrical supply to it. Haven’t taken it for a run yet though

Personally I will be ordering a new relay as I don’t think it was that the relay was loose or there was a bad contact I think the relay is on it’s way out & has an intermittent fault so will change it out when new one arrives as don’t want to get stuck again. Then if it happens again I know it will be a bad connection or the pump as I don’t think I have an open circuit now. This happened to me with my V5 classic turbo & it was an intermittent fault with the relay that was the problem there.

Now that the caris running fine being there is now no fault present at the moment I would expect the CEL light to go out but it is still on. Is this correct?

When I read the instruction book for the code reader it states the following which is giving me some concerns about using the code reader to turn off the CEL.

Caution:Erasing the diagnostics trouble codes may allow the code reader to delete not only the codes from the vehicles on-board computer, but also the” freezeframe”& manufacturer enhanced data. Further, the I/M Readiness Monitor Status for all vehicle monitors is reset to Not Ready or Not Complete status. Do not erase the codes before the system has been checked by a technician!!!!

I am obviously new to the code reader & this is the first job I have done with it so was looking for someone to give me a sort of point in the right direction in whether I should erase the code or not as the case maybe? Or do I have to do something else prior to erasing the code to makethe other data in the aforesaid paragraph safe?

Much appreciated.

Cheers Paul
Old 16 June 2017, 12:08 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

reset and carry on mate
Old 16 June 2017, 11:47 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe only delets cell codes and fule learning ect, wont touch your maps or any important data.

I use a bluetooth obd reader and the torque app
Old 17 June 2017, 12:39 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above, a basic code reader with a reset function cannot touch the base map in your ecu. The terminology they are using makes it sound confusing, but they are talking about vehicles fitted with vdu's showing various engine monitoring parameters etc. The reset function can (has the ability to) mess with the tables on those.
You don't have such equipment on your WR1 so your golden anyway. Reset all you want, at absolute worst case scenario all it can do perform the same internal memory wipe that disconnecting your battery would do.
Old 17 June 2017, 07:55 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by debbiesonic
As above, a basic code reader with a reset function cannot touch the base map in your ecu. The terminology they are using makes it sound confusing, but they are talking about vehicles fitted with vdu's showing various engine monitoring parameters etc. The reset function can (has the ability to) mess with the tables on those.
You don't have such equipment on your WR1 so your golden anyway. Reset all you want, at absolute worst case scenario all it can do perform the same internal memory wipe that disconnecting your battery would do.
Battery removal doesn't work on nvm ecu's.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:15 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for late response.

A BIG thank you to you all for the information provided, very much appreciated

Quick update, carried out reset, CEL light went out & all was well. Or so I thought

A couple of days later the same thing happened again, I lost power to the fuel pump with no prime with ignition on confirming intermittent fault was still there.

Eventually got car home & went to what I thought was the fuel relay to change it out for the new one which had now arrived. On closer inspection it was not the fuel pump relay at all. This relay had a 4 pole pink connector with a green connector right next to it, idiot hence the mistake I was wiggling about at the wrong relay.

Valid point so others WR1 owners don’t get caught out & strip out under the column on the OS. The fuel pump relay on my WR1 isn’t even at the OS under the steering column as per manuals & previous information I have read. It’s behind the glove box on the NS next to the brown master relay.

Tested the proper relay this time off the car with power probe on control side & meter on continuity on high amp side. Although it was clicking every time the electromagneticswitch wasn’t moving across every time hence the intermittent problem. Jobs a good one now. Think I might need a visit to Spec savers. Also FYI cheapest price I could find for fuel pump relay was import car parts at £19.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers Paul

Search this Thread