Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Your Thoughts On My Map

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2017, 07:17 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Thoughts On My Map

Hi all,

Below is the map I have had on my 2008 STi for the last 18 months. This is not my area of expertise and I wondered what are your thoughts? I was left feeling underwhelmed with the experience, after waiting for 3 hours it was on the rollers for around 15 minutes. Any good or more to be had?

Supporting mods are AEM induction kit, ProDrive second cat decat pipe and centre section and custom backbox.

Regards,

8ulldog

Old 02 April 2017, 07:30 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Ooh 15 min remap at SRR don't think I need to guess the mapper
tbf the graph looks pretty good,are you not happy with how it drives?
Looks to hit peak torque nice and early,full boost before 3.5k so it's got to be a lively drive.
Old 02 April 2017, 07:33 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying. It drives nicely, though after hearing of others experiences that seemed more involved I wondered if there was more to be had.
Old 02 April 2017, 07:41 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Probably with a bit more boost but maybe the mapper went a little conservative considering it's a 2.5 on standard internals?
AFR's look ok,boost curve is nice.
You maybe could go more aggressive on timing and boost but would you want to risk it?
Did you ask the mapper to safely map it or to wring the bollox off it?
Old 02 April 2017, 08:03 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

15mins ? Really ?
Old 02 April 2017, 08:26 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matty81
15mins ? Really ?
I heard a good saying once "A broken clock is right twice a day"
15 min map sounds like a flash map gamble that maybe paid off?
It might also be a ticking time bomb?
If only 15 mins would of been spent on my remap I wouldn't be handing any cash over.
Old 02 April 2017, 08:42 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't of been happy with that at all.
Old 02 April 2017, 09:14 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

I'm happy with performance.

I drove nearly 3 hours down to SRR and believed to be scheduled in at 11am. When I got there I was to understand that he does not do timed appointments, you just turn up and he works through his bookings. I got a bit arsey around 2pm and got shoe horned in.

15 minutes on the rollers and the above is the result. Not saying it's poor in anyway, it's been on for 18 months and seems fine. Just wanted to check if there was an opportunity for more.
Old 03 April 2017, 12:09 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on how you drive the car , if you don't push it much and just drive on low boost and not giving it WOT at full chat much the map could be fine , it made 340 Bhp afterdll , yet hook it up to a wideband and drive it like you stole it you may find areas that need tweaking . Your mods are pretty tame so a map from a similar setup car is probably working well for you etc
Old 03 April 2017, 06:54 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

iv had a car drive fine and then go bang down the line due to a crappy map so problems may not show for a while , unless you can see inside your engine or know how to read the maps yourself your in the trust of the mapper , I wouldn't be happy if mine was done in 15min as we normally spend around 3-5 hours doing mine

I could turn your boost right up without mapping and it would prob drive ok for quite a while but it would still be a ticking time bomb

Last edited by domino46; 03 April 2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04 April 2017, 12:07 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

was it an ECUTek map? Maybe they had a pre-done decent base for your setup and only needed 15 mins to dial in the fuelling and you were good to go - hard to say without seeing the map. With the dyno printout you can only see the result of the map on full throttle so you can't build a full picture of it.
Old 04 April 2017, 12:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Ah not so good old dung khan

On the face of it the map looks ok to be fair. Was it road tested after it was mapped?

The fueling looks ok, can't see if there's any det though
Old 04 April 2017, 08:48 PM
Piggysniffer
Scooby Regular

Don't know much about your map, but I got some "thoughts" about the mapper if it was Duncan graham that's for sure
Old 05 April 2017, 04:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Doesn't look too bad as said above. Seems to be mapped to 1.3 bar which is what I'd say is right for a standard 2.5 lump. Any more than 1.35bar can promote early failure in these engines. Made 340bhp too, so that's good. Builds full boost nice and early and makes good torque too.

I'd have liked to see it holding power a bit longer, but this may not be map related. As said also, I'd have wanted the mapper (Duncan) to do a road test too to ensure what is mapped on the rollers translates to the road. He did for me, but that was some years back and if he's only spending 15 minutes on a car with no road test/tweak after then that's very lazy indeed and I wouldn't be happy at all.
Old 05 April 2017, 04:25 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
if he's only spending 15 minutes on a car with no road test/tweak after then that's very lazy indeed and I wouldn't be happy at all.
normal service level from him
Old 05 April 2017, 04:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

When Duncan did mine he spent a good hour or more road mapping it, then an hour on the rolling road fine tuning things then another few tweaks on the road to complete & check after that. Almost 1/2 a day just for me last time and the car drove faultlessly throughout it's life and made great power. Couldn't have been happier. Thought he was a very nice chap.

I guess he's changed the way he now does things to try fit as many people in as he can. A shame and if corners are cut, mistakes can be made. Not good IMO.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 05 April 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05 April 2017, 04:38 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

There's a group of about 10 people from another club I belong to going down to Surrey rolling road. That will probably be 8mins per person. Not for me! Rather use a good mapper who takes his time.
Old 05 April 2017, 05:45 PM
Piggysniffer
Scooby Regular

20 minutes on my hawk eye wrx, no road test, ****ed the map up, chased him for months to sort it from august last year, luckily I paid with my Barclay card and last month they reimbursed me the whole 430 quid that he stole from me, blokes a greedy c@@@
Old 05 April 2017, 05:53 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

He spent 20 mins mapping my old Impreza. No road test afterwards. I asked him for a partial refund. He refused.
Old 05 April 2017, 07:46 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Shame that service levels seem to have gone that way as 2 years ago he was being raved about, hence why a 5 hour round trip and £650 later I had been to him. I did expect more of a personal service and it's good to see that there are still mappers out there that give it.

If I keep her then I'll probably get her forged, a few other goodies and get her done then.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 05 April 2017, 08:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 8ulldog
Shame that service levels seem to have gone that way as 2 years ago he was being raved about, hence why a 5 hour round trip and £650 later I had been to him. I did expect more of a personal service and it's good to see that there are still mappers out there that give it.

If I keep her then I'll probably get her forged, a few other goodies and get her done then.

depends who you ask, dung khan was actually a phrase coined by andy F years ago when he made him self look like an idiot on 22b.com. Doesn't dare post on there any more, along with alot of places. Never rated him and unfortunately its now coming out the woodwork how bad he is. It's not just a lack of tech knowledge it seems to be a lack of giving a crap, he's been told about road testing and stuff like that by some of the best in the business but chooses to ignore it.
Old 05 April 2017, 08:51 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8ulldog

so you paid £650 for work that took no more than 30min?
Trev
Old 06 April 2017, 11:18 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, Duncan, see my experience with the chap

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...hemselves.html

Im not sure he road maps anymore due to it being Dangerous according to some who ask.
Old 06 April 2017, 11:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig

Im not sure he road maps anymore due to it being Dangerous according to some who ask.
yep he still does
Old 06 April 2017, 11:44 AM
Piggysniffer
Scooby Regular

If enough people name and shame the fool maybe people will see the light, he can map, but when he ****s it up, then your in the **** cos trying to get him to sort it is near impossible, he is the most consistently slated mapper out there and I was warned off of him by someone I should have listened to, someone's gonna clatter him at some point I'm sure, if I had not got my money back from Barclay card I would have risked another stint in prison by shaking it out of him, tool !
Old 06 April 2017, 02:44 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig

That's what he said to me and I agree with him. He has mapped my car on the road but the main map has always been done on the rollers.
A big thumbs up for Duncan from me
Trev
Old 06 April 2017, 03:46 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
dung khan was actually a phrase coined by andy F years ago when he made him self look like an idiot on 22b.com.
Have you got a link to any of these threads, mate?
Old 06 April 2017, 03:52 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

I'd like to read those lol
Old 06 April 2017, 04:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

o christ they will be way back in the archive now, talking years ago, i'll try and see if i can pick any of the threads up on google, bear in mind were going back to 2011 since it happened and the way they kicked off i wouldnt be surprised if they were deleted anyway. was funny though
Old 06 April 2017, 07:59 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Had duncan map my old bugeye around 2011. He mapped it on the road and took about 30mins. Back then he was well respected on my local forum (ssc subaru) but within a few months things went sour cause a few members went to another mapper hosting a rr day and said that most of the cars maps where dangerous and running lean. I didnt attend this event but was worried and contacted duncan. He did come to my house few days later and checked map and said it was fine. I sold car in 2014 and was still running fine and still is as i speak to current owner. Think its a case of throw enough sh#t some sticks etc. My blob mapped by another mapper and he getting good and bad feedback but my car is again fine and has been for last 2 years.