Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Ecutek OBDII

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2017, 11:17 AM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecutek OBDII

Hi, im trying to connect an odb2 blutooth connection to my sti which has and ecutek tune.
im using torquepro android. It all connects up fine to our 2007 qashqai but it doesn5 seem to be able to pick up the impreza. I get the red led lihht up so i know im getting power to it. Any one have any idea yo why it wont connect. Vould the fact the ecu had been mapped with ecutek have any affects on it.

thanks. John.
Old 14 February 2017, 02:33 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt that the ecutek tune what prevent you being able to read the data on the can bus. Weather it works with obd tool might depend what year and model it is and based on that you may need to change the connection settings in the app. 2007 Qashqai will be obd ii compliant which is probably what the app is set to by default, but if your scoob's is older then it might be k line or something different.

Certainly torque pro does work out of the box on my 2006 hawkeye sti with a cheapo Bluetooth obd ii connector but I found it a bit limiting and not much use. To really collect useful data I would suggest using romraider. It can log all sorts, but you'll need a laptop for it .

Last edited by Bazil_SW; 14 February 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 14 February 2017, 02:55 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Torque pro worked fine on my 06 WRX with a standard ELM327 adaptor for £5 off FleaBay, but it wouldn't work with my 04 JDm Forester STI as the ECU was older and on different comms.

What year is your car?

In the end I had to use a KKL cable like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-VAG-...-/201378982523?

Which connects fine and talks to the ECU just fine. The trouble with that is that it's USB only and I then had to ensure the android device was USB-OTG compliant.
Old 14 February 2017, 03:07 PM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Its a 2003 Sti. I was looking into romraider today so ill give that a try. I have a cheap vag cable so hopefully that might connect to it.
so regarding the ecutek map it should still be able to connect to a source for datalogging and im guessing its just locked out for changing map
Old 14 February 2017, 03:16 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Should work on your 03 STI just fine.

Have a look at this:

http://forum.wrx.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=81131

I remember when I used Torque light app I had to set it up manually to work and once that was done it worked just fine. Didn't work straight out of the box though.

Failing that buy BTSSM it's a much better app.
Old 14 February 2017, 03:19 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

btssm is pretty good im using it on my samsung s4 with a vag cable like the one linked to above.
Old 14 February 2017, 03:31 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

hehe. You said Vag.
Old 14 February 2017, 08:12 PM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Right i have downloaded romraider and will give it a go tomorrow. Do i need to download ecuflash too to be able to use romraider. All im going to be doing is logging.

thanks
Old 14 February 2017, 09:42 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, it should work without it. Ecuflash is for reading and writing the ecu which is probably locked on your car anyway and for the drivers for the tactrix openport adaptor.

for romraider though you need to download the logging definitions files and the ecu defs also. Info and instructions/downloads are on the romraider forums. It's definitely worth the extra hassle though!

Last edited by Bazil_SW; 14 February 2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 15 February 2017, 11:58 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you need a hand setting up romraider logger give me a shout - for the OBD ports the older (bug/blob/hawk) use k-line (hence the vag com cable working with them) and the newer cars are can (hawk/hatch). Yes hawks in both though I'm not certain which features are available on can vs kline.

It will more likely not work on any JDM car as they aren't OBD - the port on them is for SSM it just happens to look the same as the OBD port. Though romraider doesn't care and will speak to all of them.
Old 16 February 2017, 08:11 AM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bludgod.
i managed to get romraider connected up to the ecu last night and went for a crusie, all the parameters i selected were giving me values. As soon as the car warmed up i tried to log a pull started the logging and did a pull but half way through the pull i got a usb message pop up in the bottom right hand side of the laptop and then the laptop went nuts! The mouse cursor was going all over the place i had windows popping up left right and centre the romraider had disconnected from ecu.
only way to stop the laptop going crazy was to dosconnect the usb cable.
thought it was just a blip but tried another couple of times and still the same.
i have another obd2 cable so i might try that tonight and see if it makes a difference.
Old 16 February 2017, 02:51 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've heard that the fleabay obII's go wrong a lot. Can anyone shed any light on this ?
Old 16 February 2017, 03:28 PM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Ive managed to find some info regarding romraider freezing during wot pulls. Seems you can put a few ferrit beads or some sort onto the obd2 wires.... anyone else encountered this..? Thanks
Old 17 February 2017, 09:46 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

now is it romraider is freezing or the ECU has stopped responding - there is a difference!

on the early bugs it seems to be the worst, you can try things like ferrite cores, repinning the OBD port, adding a ton more grounds and also adjusting the map in some cases to try and reduce it but it could also be the ECU that's fitted (early ones seem to be more wonky than later ones from say a blobeye).

Your car is a 03 STI, is that a very late bugeye or a blob? If it's a blob then i'd be leaning towards a poor earth somewhere/duff connection on the OBD port (if it's not 100% tight it will slip loose when the boost kicks in). Are you able to post up the log files or email me a copy and I can take a look?
Old 17 February 2017, 10:14 AM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Its an early blob sti 2003 one of the first on a 52 plate.
I was reading up on the bad earths also. I have another issue the logs dont seem to be saving. I dedicated a save folder for them but they dont save.
the cable im using is a lonelec odb2 cabke i use to flash my triumph motorcycle with. This odb2 canle has a ferrit bite on either end of the lead.
The laptop seems to freeze if anything when i do a wot pull. Say freeze it has a mind of its own and i cant control it until i disconnect the obd2 cable.
I've read that having an amp can interfere with the signal or some sort...
ill try log a pull and send you the results later today. Thankd again.