Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Clicking boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2017, 06:49 PM
Birty7910
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking boost solenoid

Have just picked my car up from having a forged engine rebuild along with quite a few other bits,
gone from standard hawkeye sti power to being 400hp,
noticed on the way home it has a ticking/rattling noise scared me half to death thought it has broke after 10 miles but after plenty off looking round found it's the new Perrin 3 port that's clicking on low revs or constant of you rest your foot on the throttle.
anyone else had this issue??
Old 29 January 2017, 06:52 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an apexi boost solenoid in my old car, I could also hear it ticking, turned out to be cable tied to a bit of metal, I removed it and put a bit rubber under it and never heard it again. worth a shot
Old 29 January 2017, 07:00 PM
TypeWA
Scooby Newbie

Yes they are noisy. The Apexi is equally noisy.
Old 29 January 2017, 07:03 PM
Birty7910
Scooby Regular

Might just be where it's placed then, you can't hear it outside but in the car it's rather loud
Old 30 January 2017, 10:33 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

it shouldn't be ticking at idle as the car has no chance of making boost but depends how it's been mapped in. Normally i'll leave them at 0% duty at 0 throttle so they get some time off when they aren't needed. But as above if its anyway fixed to something solid (strut tower/strut brace/metal bracket etc.) you'll hear it ticking/clicking away all the time. Just space out with a bit of rubber like the standard one is and you'll be grand.
Old 30 January 2017, 10:53 AM
semih
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you could add rubber washers

i have profec and ticking too, but when i add rubber washers ticking was down

Old 30 January 2017, 02:39 PM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in a rush when I was fitting my SWRC 3 port on the day it was being mapped and bolted it straight to the strut tower with no rubber bush... next day when it was cold started, I though my engine was ****ed lol... it was the 3 port, I refitted it with rubber spacers etc and it 80% quieter... on very cold mornings you can still hear a bit of tapping on partial throttle until the engine warms up... noting on idle.