Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Jdm avcs

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2016, 07:25 PM
danny916681
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jdm avcs

I have just bought a jdm ej205 for my 04 impreza wrx but was missed sold the avcs part. I have done some research and apparently I can get the missing wiring loom as a kit and a jdm ecu from an avcs engine. Is this true? If so where can I buy these items?

If the above solution is total rubbish will swapping the heads from the previous non avcs engine work as a method of removing the avcs from the engine?

Thank you in advance
Old 14 September 2016, 06:33 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danny916681
I have just bought a jdm ej205 for my 04 impreza wrx but was missed sold the avcs part. I have done some research and apparently I can get the missing wiring loom as a kit and a jdm ecu from an avcs engine. Is this true? If so where can I buy these items?

If the above solution is total rubbish will swapping the heads from the previous non avcs engine work as a method of removing the avcs from the engine?

Thank you in advance
Conversion looms from JTI and an ecu that can run them are required.
Old 14 September 2016, 09:31 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

That ej205 is not a avcs equipped block.
Its a weak wrx or classic block, can't recall exactly.
Its the ej207 block you probably think you have
Old 14 September 2016, 09:54 AM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some 205's had avcs. jap wrx's IIRC
you can just drop it in and use it without using AVCS. cams will be fully retarded all the time though. you can use a set of adjustable cam pullies to advance the timing mechanically, there is a set on ebay ;-)
or you could wire in the AVCS using an adaptor loom and an ecu from an avcs equipped car as you say, although i dont believe it is as straight forward as it sounds as the ecu wont just plug in due to the different number of pins (more on avcs) so you may need the loom plug and to swap them over, not the nicest job especially if you have sausage fingers
an alcatek could be used and may be a simpler solution to implement as they can be supplied as plug and play items
the heads could be swapped, there may be issues with compression ratio due to the different heads/different volume combustion chambers, so the correct thickness head gasket would need to be used
Hope this helps!
Old 14 September 2016, 05:46 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above Newage JDM wrx heads have Avcs, you can use the TGV loom with a few more additional wires added and a few pin swaps at the ecu end but would need an Avcs functioning ecu like you say, the information is out there but this was done on a car of mine over 6 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember which wires/pins to swap, but to answer your question what you have been told is correct
Old 09 November 2016, 06:55 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its very unlikely that your standard ecu will have any mapping or hardware for avcs,pity as it helps with spool if you decided on a bigger turbo at any point-might be worth selling them on and finding the correct heads-save piffing about- otherwise you would probably be better talking to a savvy tuner,maybe rich at zen performance could help
Old 09 November 2016, 07:27 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tom-r33
...although i dont believe it is as straight forward as it sounds as the ecu wont just plug in due to the different number of pins (more on avcs)
All 2001-2005 Turbo impreza's, WRX or WRX STi, use the same ECU connector - non-AVCS ECUs simply don't have the hardware to deal with AVCS and the pins are not connected internally; and the vehicle wiring loom is missing the relevant wiring too, of course.

You can modify yourself, or (as mentioned) we do a conversion loom that has the pins for the ECU plug ready-fitted to be inserted to the vacant positions of the ECU connector - so its plug-and-play.

There will be possibly some pin-out differences between JDM and UK ECUs (to do with immobilisers) but these can be sorted by wire-swapping.

If your car is a UK WRX then easiest is to get a UK WRX STi ECU from the same year and it should run just fine.