Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ECU help

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2016, 09:26 AM
geedub
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU help

Hi Folks its been a while since I've been on the forum. So apologies for re visiting with a head scratcher.

First of all my Subaru engine is is not in a Subaru its in a 1976 VW Beetle . I have owned an STI before but don't at the moment as I am busy trying to sort this project.

OK problem is I have had a 2L Turbo engine fitted from a MY03 STI into my Beetle and was advised by the engine builder Andy Williams to use an earlier loom. As the engine/car sat for ages I forgot his recommendation and fitted a loom and ECU from a MYO4 car. I now realise I need a chipped key immobiliser etc to get the ECU to operate but I don't have them. Are my only options 1.buy a key, chip immobiliser etc and have it sorted by someone with the appropriate Subaru software ( no idea of costs of this ) or 2. buy an aftermarket ECU Simtek etc and have it mapped. Sorry for the ignorance here folks any help would be much appreciated.

here is a couple of pics of the money pit

Old 22 May 2016, 02:11 PM
geedub
Scooby Newbie

Ok 46 views and no replies, am I barking up the wrong tree here or have I made a complete f__k up and your all sniggering
Old 22 May 2016, 05:16 PM
burn
Scooby Newbie

Personally I'd find someone breaking up the right model of scoob you need, 03 sti, and get the ecu, chipped key, transponder and all necessary gubbins then it's plug n play. Just need to make sure you know if the ecu is mapped etc so your hardware matches. Maybe consider the loom too as I don't know what differences are between model years.

I've no experience doing it to Subaru's but to other make it was ecu, chip from the key and transponder.

That's my input, hope it's some help.
Old 22 May 2016, 05:42 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know much about open source tbh but could this be an option for you?
Might be an idea to head over to romraider site for more info on this.
Old 23 May 2016, 09:09 AM
geedub
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the reply fellas.

So if I get the chipped key, transponder and all necessary gubbins from an MY03 car it should just plug in and be good to go, no computer programming or Subaru speicalist bod needed ?
Old 23 May 2016, 10:21 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I know with my 1998 model the key is tied into the ECU, i did think on later models like the 1999-2000 the immobiliser was separate from the ecu.

I know with mine that Esl daughter board bypasses the Imobilser, so aftermarket ecu might work with yours, put you would need to do some research.
Old 23 May 2016, 11:17 AM
geedub
Scooby Newbie

Thanks JAYGSI I am still doing some digging around

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2016, 09:12 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i've heard that if you use the open source carberry rom the immobiliser isn't checked, same would be the case for some of the JDM ecu's as they don't have the UK immobiliser on them. If you already have an 03/04 UK ECU then would be worth putting a carberry map on it to see if it starts (plus you could go mafless if you are tight for space in the engine bay).
Old 24 May 2016, 11:48 AM
geedub
Scooby Newbie

Hey Bludgod thanks for the heads on Carberry rom its not something I haven't heard of before , out of touch here so thanks for that Im looking into it nice one.
Old 24 May 2016, 02:54 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

no problems, more info here:
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

but if you have any questions drop me a line happy to help if i can
Old 25 July 2016, 07:45 PM
geedub
Scooby Newbie

Seems like I had a complete stroke of LUCK by having Bludgood respond to my post here.

He has been an absolute diamond in helping me sort this ECU issue out. What a great bloke he is with lots of knowledge. He has bent over backwards to get me out the **** on this one. Anyone who ever needs confirmation that great people still exist can rest assured that they certainly do.YOUR A TOP BANANA Bludgod
Old 25 July 2016, 11:14 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

cheers buddy - we're all in it for the love of the flat fours so glad I could help out