Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

external wastegate/screamer-manifold?PIC ADDED NOW

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2015, 12:53 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external wastegate/screamer-manifold?PIC ADDED NOW

is this the new way of controlling boost-long while scince i had a scoob,the one i just bought has an external wastegate mounted to the exhaust manifold at the offside front of the engine[under it]...first time i"ve seen this set up used,and its too noisy for me-fortunately the turbo still has its integral wastegate intact so i can go that route..

Last edited by arthur.d; 11 December 2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11 December 2015, 09:05 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

screamer pipes aren't anything new - they've been around for ages, if it's not to your taste you should be able to get a standard up/downpipe fitted and then remapped to suit
Old 11 December 2015, 10:38 AM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default screamer

i"m aware they are old hat-its just where it is-front of car at manifold
the last externally wastegated scoob i had it was on the side of the turbo then went into the downppe
seems unusual but i have no doubt its effective enough does the same job i suppose,ableit a lot of noise..
Old 11 December 2015, 11:48 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yeh the noise is a bit fierce for my liking. Normally it would be piped in from the uppipe and then either out to the atmosphere (screamer style) or plumbed back into the downpipe for a quieter experience.

You say yours is on the manifold, do you mean the uppipe or is it literally off one of the headers as that doesn't make a lot of sense - pictures might help?
Old 11 December 2015, 12:11 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default wastegate

i"ll try to get a pic-but drivers side exhaust header/manifold.leading edge front of car,not what i have ever seen before
Old 11 December 2015, 08:43 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default pic

Old 12 December 2015, 01:11 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks a little bit naughty to me, in a sence its getting rid of gases to stop spooling but its not balanced as in bank a bank b. and looks as if dave has welded a flange on in his shed. mmmmmmmm and no screamer pipe, surprised nothing has caught on fire.
scrap bin fodder my mate.
Old 12 December 2015, 01:55 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default screamer

aye i dont like it at all,that and the fpr lying lose on top of the engine
will remove once i"ve measured the boost,and set it up internal gate on the 3076 that i"m told is fitted
then a wee map check as its bound to change the way it boosts a little

i hate screamers-sounds like the exhaust is knackered-especially fitted there
Old 14 December 2015, 09:58 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

i can't imagine how badly that setup would run, I bet it really does sound awful on boost!

Seeing as how you have the wastegate though, if you know anyone with some welding/fabrication skills maybe they could move it to the uppipe for your properly and then have a return pipe fed into the downpipe. That way you could set it up properly with top and bottom vac pipes connected and get the most out of the turbo. The internal gate would be a better job than that you would hope but you have to wonder what some people are thinking sometimes!
Old 14 December 2015, 01:29 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default mods

the car apparently has a 3076 ceramic bb turbo[1.6 bar ],modded pinks to flow 950cc...they look more beige than pink to me,,it also has a rising rate fpr,which is lying loose on top of the engine[not fixed anywhere except by the pipes] and it gets its vac off the same pipe as the dump valve
supposedly 400 odd bhp it felt flat as a fart when i had a quick shot
clutch is a new act paddle,but needs a tad adjustment it bites awkwardly at the top of the stroke
it might just have felt flat due to the horrid noise,will have a fettle with it and see how it goes-the car was completely standard before the lad bought it in march lol
Old 14 December 2015, 01:35 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default fpr

Old 14 December 2015, 02:38 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

now that's a perfect example of how NOT to fit an FPR - get that ripped out and replumbed as quick as you can!

Where the pinks flow tested after the caps were removed? Sometimes they flow around 800 - sometimes its closer to 600 so really you need them flow tested to be 100% sure they are a close match.
Old 14 December 2015, 04:05 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default map

its just been mapped by some chap simon from down south-carberry rom and tweaked for the mods...hrw switch does a mild anti lag apparently[not my thing at all]
car isnt in use at all and wont be until spring -when i change the wastegate back it will probably need a tweak anyway as the on/off boost running may be a little different
i notice on the fuel return line near the bulkhead it has a little black dimpled object-is that the original fpr,if so its strange to leave it in place with an uprated rising rate one fitted too...
Old 14 December 2015, 04:22 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

it's not an FPR - it will be a fuel damper just like they are meant to have. The FPR itself should be getting its vac feed direct off the manifold though with nothing else T'd off it otherwise you may not be getting the full fuel pressure you expect. I'm surprised someone mapped it like that without requesting that it be fixed first but hey ho.
Old 14 December 2015, 04:33 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default mapper

previous owner paid for the mapper to come up to scotland and do it...so maybe he was between a rock and a hard place once he arrived lol
i"ve asked for the mappers details so that i can get info on removing the anti lag wiring without effecting anything else
i need to check the internal wastegate for preload and type of spring fitted-its an aftermarket one with removable spring-and once i"ve checked the boost pressure/fuel pressure switch it all back the way i would like it to be
Old 14 December 2015, 05:07 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if it's been mapped with carberry then all you need is an openport cable to change the antilag on/off settings - there's no ECU lock with it so your free to open the rom and do as you will.
Old 14 December 2015, 05:15 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default openport

so i can just open the ecu up and alter timing/fuelling etc? no flashing?
or do you still have to flash to ecu like the old days?
Old 14 December 2015, 05:31 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yeh you still flash it - nothing changes there its still a subaru standard ECU so it's flash and go everytime you make a change, but nothing to stop you making your own changes to the map that's on there if you were so inclined.

really having to log and then flash isn't all that terrible, just takes a little longer when your making tiny changes.
Old 14 December 2015, 05:36 PM
arthur.d
Scooby Regular

Default flash

ok will look into it and the cables etc
i had that for my evo at one time too-a long while ago,openport 2 iirc

thanks for the help

Last edited by arthur.d; 14 December 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 14 December 2015, 05:57 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yup same stuph, handy thing about the wee openport dongle now is you can set it up as a datalogger and leave it in all the time if you want. That way you always have a logfile ready to go if anything seems strange in the drive if you need hand getting to grips with the carberry stuph just drop me a PM the antilag is easy enough on/off value in the rom or you can change what the switch is for it (headlights/defogger/aircon/other pin)