Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Prodrive Remap with MBC @ 16/17psi

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2015, 11:26 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Prodrive Remap with MBC @ 16/17psi

Hi I have a Subaru Impreza Classic with the Prodrive ECU performance package on the vehicle installed when the car was 1 month old which was set with the boost 14psi. I have installed a Manual Boost Controller and currently running at 16/17psi. Is this safe to do or am I running the risk of blown turbo or knackered engine (big ends etc) ??
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 November 2015, 11:53 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Increasing boost without adjusting fuel and timing maps will cause det.
So yes you risk causing damage.
Old 22 November 2015, 08:54 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do folk do this ill never know, when the car is mapped its mapped for set boost levels(usually close to its limits), and when the ecu sees something its not happy with and shuts boost down, you now have a lean engine and no saftey margins as if the ecu sees det it cant pull boost back. Take it off and let the ecu control boost or get it mapped for 17psi if it can be done safely on the injectors that you have.

Last edited by **jay**; 22 November 2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:10 AM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be safe. Any car can take a little more boost than standard. People just like to scare monger, usually mappers that want the money. I had an avcr fitted to my rb5 and had it set to 1.2 bar and checked with det cans and afr probe and everything was perfect. Ran it like this for three years and was quite hard on the car and it never missed a beat.

Last edited by rb5 stu; 22 November 2015 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 November 2015, 10:41 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep thinking of doing something similar myself, but I will be fitting an AFR gauge just to make sure it's not running lean at WOT, If the ecu detects knock it will pull timing, which is why these cars are fitted with knock sensors.

It's only when you start going mafless without good knock correction that it det's it's **** off and goodnight engine.

Also PPP maps are known to be pretty rich for cooling / engine longevity as long as you change the oil regularly and let it warm up and cool down properly before and after boosting then these engines are pretty strong, 120k+ and counting, gets canned regularly, 5/6k oil changes with Motul 300V, fresh Motul in the gearbox every year and that aint broke either.

Agree about some mappers, if you breath on the engine bay it needs a remap.

I will also add; that you need to be sensible about it and keep an eye on things, if you're going to rag the $rse off it everywhere without a care then expect problems.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 22 November 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:59 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

How much timing can Subaru knock control pull?
I very much doubt the op has had his det cans and afr gauge checking 'It will be safe' ?
Your car,your choice! I would be making sure 100% things are safe.
Old 22 November 2015, 02:25 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a dawes device on a my00 uk turbo boost set below fuel cut .This was before ecutek was on the go .The Ae802 ecu on the my00 uk turbo settings ran richer to aid cylinder cooling than the ae800 and ae801 fitted to 99 onward uk turbo's .Read this on ecutek website
Old 22 November 2015, 04:07 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Good luck if the maf fails then, ecu shuts boost to actuator pressure,with a mbc its still running 17psi, goodby engine.
Old 22 November 2015, 04:56 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

People had manual boost controllers fitted on impreza before mapper were about this was when I bought my my00 uk turbo brand new .Looked on the likes of powerengneering and other rolling roads there website's and had a list of rolling road figure and mods for peoples Subaru impreza's .It listed mods for the different impreza's and all have them had mbc and knocklinks and afr meters and uprated fuel pump.I had a ecutek tek 2 exchange ecu on the my00 uk turbo from Falkland performance which was mapped Wallace performance .AFP had not started mapping for he general public got a map from him on the my00 uk turbo

Last edited by DIPSY; 22 November 2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 22 November 2015, 07:00 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Falkland performance hahahahah biggest shower of idiots going, used them once back in my cossie days for a chip and nearly killed my engine with the boost whacked up as far as it would go. Bleed valves are there best friend lol
Old 22 November 2015, 07:12 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Falkland performance hahahahah biggest shower of idiots going, used them once back in my cossie days for a chip and nearly killed my engine with the boost whacked up as far as it would go. Bleed valves are there best friend lol

Only used Falkland once for the tek2 .Awd that's were I got the dawes device set up
Old 22 November 2015, 08:09 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Just took my MBC off as a bit concerned about the comments on here and don't want to say goodbye to my engine.

Was running 14psi on the Prodrive Map pre fitting MBC which I ran for 2 days at 17/18psi before removing.

Back on Prodrive Map car will only boost to 9psi at full boost. A bit bemused I tried the MBC again and back to 17/18psi. Can anyone enlighten me whats going on here. Why is it only boosting at 9psi back on PPP map?
Old 22 November 2015, 08:33 PM
wrx-9rr
Scooby Newbie

Did you reset your ECU After removing the MBC?
Old 22 November 2015, 08:37 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-9rr
^^^^this^^^^
Do this. vvvvvv

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ledge/ECUReset
Old 22 November 2015, 08:50 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-9rr
Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Hi no I have not reset the ECU, what has happened to the ECU?

After reset will it return back to standard factory map or the PPP map?
Old 22 November 2015, 09:04 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

No your PPP will stay when you reset,it wants to re-learn,it will just reset fuel and knock correction maps,Boost errors ect,so will be a fresh start

Last edited by ossett2k2; 22 November 2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 22 November 2015, 09:07 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 stu
It will be safe. Any car can take a little more boost than standard. People just like to scare monger, usually mappers that want the money. I had an avcr fitted to my rb5 and had it set to 1.2 bar and checked with det cans and afr probe and everything was perfect. Ran it like this for three years and was quite hard on the car and it never missed a beat.
I wouldn't be so sure that it will be safe, and it isn't good advice to suggest it will without the OP getting the fuelling checked with a wideband and the engine listened to with det cans, as you had done.

Many stock ecus will safely tolerate a moderate boost increase, if everything is running healthily, but a lot of the PPP maps are loaded with ignition timing which puts them close to the det threshold, and won't tolerate a boost increase or poor fuel etc

AE802 was a richened up, timing retarded and less powerful revision of its predecessors AE800 and 801, before Subaru realised they had a problem with MAF sensors wiping out engines. Years ago I used a standard 802 with a tdo5-16g and other mods to get a safe and det free 320hp - obviously choices were limited for Ecu tuning in a budget back then, and it certainly wouldn't be what id do now...

Last edited by little'un; 22 November 2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 22 November 2015, 09:16 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

did you put the pipe back on with the brass restrictor pill in that goes on right of t piece alu turbine housing brass pipe not actuator side of t piece

Last edited by DIPSY; 22 November 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 23 November 2015, 02:58 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
No your PPP will stay when you reset,it wants to re-learn,it will just reset fuel and knock correction maps,Boost errors ect,so will be a fresh start
Whats happened to the ECU? Has it gone back into a limp style safe mode?
How will the ECU know how to revert back to the PPP MAP?
Old 23 November 2015, 02:59 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DIPSY
did you put the pipe back on with the brass restrictor pill in that goes on right of t piece alu turbine housing brass pipe not actuator side of t piece
Could you explain a bit further, not sure what you mean by "brass restrictor pill" as haven't seen anything fitting this description?
Old 23 November 2015, 03:13 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...tRelatedIssues .Look at the 2 port boost solenoid diagram and you will see were the brass restrictor pill is in the black pipe ie a bulge
Old 23 November 2015, 08:16 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DIPSY
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...tRelatedIssues .Look at the 2 port boost solenoid diagram and you will see were the brass restrictor pill is in the black pipe ie a bulge
This maybe the issue as I stupidly disgarded original pipe around the turbo and actuator. This could be why I have loss in boost pressure as if the pill is missing would cause this I guess?

I notice from your link you send me there was a 2 port boost solenoid and a 3 port boost solenoid, how can I tell which one I have as I notice on the 3 port solenoid pill is in different place.

If it helps I have a V reg uk2000 classic facelift turbo model.
Old 23 November 2015, 08:22 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Easy mistake to make,plenty of people throw away the pipe with the pill in
Yours as standard will be a 2 port,a quick look will tell you if it had 2 or 3 ports tho as it might have been upgraded?
Old 23 November 2015, 08:39 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JC-Impreza
This maybe the issue as I stupidly disgarded original pipe around the turbo and actuator. This could be why I have loss in boost pressure as if the pill is missing would cause this I guess?

I notice from your link you send me there was a 2 port boost solenoid and a 3 port boost solenoid, how can I tell which one I have as I notice on the 3 port solenoid pill is in different place.

If it helps I have a V reg uk2000 classic facelift turbo model.

Standard my00 uk turbo has a 2 port boost solenoid on drivers strut .The restrictor pill size is 1.2mm id
Old 23 November 2015, 09:08 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have one of these pipes with the restrictor pill ?
Old 23 November 2015, 09:18 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have one of these pipes with the restrictor pill ?
The restrictor pill can be bought at subaru quite cheaply and just pushed inside the vacume pipe.
Old 23 November 2015, 10:09 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
The restrictor pill can be bought at subaru quite cheaply and just pushed inside the vacume pipe.
Have been informed that a mig weld tip 1.2mm will do the job also??
Old 23 November 2015, 10:26 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Have been informed that a mig weld tip 1.2mm will do the job also??
The only bit of a 1.2mm mig tip that will fit in the pipe is the threaded bit that screws in to the mig torch or a push in and turn 0.8mm mig tip cut in half and drilled to 1.2mm .Been there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-1-0...wAAOSw7NNT6jOi

Last edited by DIPSY; 23 November 2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 25 November 2015, 10:50 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i've used mig tips a few times, with an aftermarket vac pipe if you run it under hot water tap for a bit it becomes soft enough to force the tip inside, you just have to whisper softly in it's ear first.
Old 25 November 2015, 07:23 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

i have plenty of genuine 1.2mm restrictors taken out of cars that I've fitted 3 ports to and mapped.

PM me if you need one

Quick Reply: Prodrive Remap with MBC @ 16/17psi