Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

STI PPP

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2014, 12:59 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default STI PPP

Just knocking this one around in my head at the moment.

What if I got all the STI PPP parts and put them onto my WRX then flashed my spare V7 STI ecu with the STI PPP map, would the fact that I don't have avcs heads be a major issue.

I have a spare STI V7 inlet manifold as well, just for the record.
Old 21 October 2014, 01:49 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say yes the map has been done for avcs heads and apart from anything else the map is crap.
my car came with the PPP pack and a custom remap was streets ahead
Old 21 October 2014, 04:30 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

It's just an idea at the moment to try and save a few shillings but make it to 300bhp, just wondered if it would work.

Custom map is a bit of a gamble on a car with 111k on the clock, it also costs £550 for ecutek, non of my prefered mappers do open source so that's out of the question. I'd rather take a chance on Prodrive than joe bloggs.
Old 21 October 2014, 10:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ditch

STI ECU is different from WRX ECU,yours WRX doesn't have AVCS as first thing and as second thing pinout is different to WRX,you will need to repin few wires and then you should be able at least start

I'm not 100% if you will swap the ECU you will be able to run this ECU,I didn't tried this setup and mainly STI has have different mods like VF35 etc

Thanks,Jura
Old 22 October 2014, 06:13 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Well I bought the ecu because I was going to run avcs but change of plan due to the heads I bought being cracked at the spark plug holes, I also purchased the correct inlet manifold, so thought maybe if I got a vf35, decat up-pipe and sports cat along with some STI pinks maybe I could go the full STI PPP route and just not run avcs on my existing WRX engine.

Not sure what difference it would make hence the question.
Old 22 October 2014, 06:47 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well I bought the ecu because I was going to run avcs but change of plan due to the heads I bought being cracked at the spark plug holes, I also purchased the correct inlet manifold, so thought maybe if I got a vf35, decat up-pipe and sports cat along with some STI pinks maybe I could go the full STI PPP route and just not run avcs on my existing WRX engine.

Not sure what difference it would make hence the question.
Hi Ditch

That's pretty normal for 2.0L heads being cracked around the spark plugs holes,we are have few sets of the AVCS heads and every heads have some issue,you can find good set of the heads,but they will cost you

About the mods,they should work on yours wagon without the issue,but ECU can be there issue,you will need at least get car tweaked for mods as cams in WRX and STI are different and without this you will be getting CEL and knocks

I'm pretty sure this will make difference,you can ask over here mappers for remote tune,you will need to do lots of logging and have at least Wideband

Thanks,Jura
Old 23 October 2014, 06:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura, sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth, ah well was just a thought.
Old 23 October 2014, 10:36 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
id say yes the map has been done for avcs heads and apart from anything else the map is crap.
Bit harsh that!
OK, PPP map will never delivery the power that a custom map will, but then again, its trying compensate for all eventualities and fuel grades
Old 23 October 2014, 11:47 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Might not be the best map in the world, but at least it's safe and doesn't cost £500+ dyno time, which was the main attraction along with another 40bhp, not sure about others but £600 ish is a decent amount of money to be saving in my eyes if it could be done without any issues.
Old 23 October 2014, 12:08 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura, sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth, ah well was just a thought.
Agree is more hassle,but really depends if you want go via this route

Thanks,Jura

Might not be the best map in the world, but at least it's safe and doesn't cost £500+ dyno time, which was the main attraction along with another 40bhp, not sure about others but £600 ish is a decent amount of money to be saving in my eyes if it could be done without any issues.
Hi Ditch

Personally I would speak with few OS mappers from here,if they can send you something like modified PPP map which will be safe

Agree mapping sometimes can be expensive and yes any saving made is good saving

Thanks,Jura