Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Unichip - hows it work/how to remove

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2014, 10:33 AM
ClassicEddie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unichip - hows it work/how to remove

I have a Unichip installed in my car (UK MY00). It was fitted ~10 years ago because, I'm told, the car was too new at the time for tuners to have the ability to remap the ECU that theses later classics are actually capable of. The cars not running right I don't think but could be wrong as this is my first Subaru. I would like the get the car running back on just the standard ECU to have a good starting point to get it all spot on and allow me to log correctly (I’m using Ecu Explorer).
I don't know how the Unichip works but I gather it fudges the readings back to the ECU from various sensors. The logging I have done to date shows odd Boost and Waste Gate Duty Cycle (always the exact same figures) so I know these aren’t true readings. What else is it doing/lying about? I don’t like the way the Unichip does its thing as I think safety is compromised. For example, as (I think) the actual boost levels are unknown overboost is potential issue? Etc.
The Unichip itself consist of a main box and another smaller one that are wired into the harness just before the standard ECU. I will have to cut it out and reconnect all the wires on the loom.
Will the standard ECU still be standard? i.e. once the Unichip is removed will the ECU be running fully standard settings or would it have been it modified in some way when the Unichip was fitted?

The other reason for wanting/needing to get the ECU back to standard is I think I'm going to go for a Eculabs remap (as per my other thread) and think the Unichip install is going to get right in the way.

Last edited by ClassicEddie; 16 June 2014 at 10:36 AM.