returning member

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2010, 12:30 AM
Pete AJ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default returning member

Hi all..
I am a returning member after a few years sans Scooby ownership. (new membership to scoobynet)
I am pleased to say as of 5:30 PM this afternoon my years of abstinence have come to an end when i became the proud owner of a V reg impreza turbo. Still not totally sure of its real spec other that full stainless exhaust (de cat) and some kind of BOV. I have to admit i thought the first thing i would do would be to remove the BOV, but its not over the top and im becoming a little attached to the sound. Not many things make me smile but this hits the mark. the exhaust on the other hand is a wee bit noisy. I live in a very quiet village and i have been coasting down my road tonight in fear of causing an uproar !

Just sitting here tonight looking for a distraction from programming so i thought id say hi and put my first question to the group. So here it is ...

As i explained earlier, i was a member of the group some years ago when i owned a WRX wagon. One chilly night mid November some 5 years ago i had quite a major off. I was travelling down a country road and i hit a big mound of tarmac that someone had piled up on the road to get round paying for a drop kerb. The road was icy and needless to say i was going a little too quick. I lost control and found myself heading toward oncoming traffic, the only thing i could do was wind the wheel round and head for the verge, however there was a bloody great road sign and by then it was too late, i hit the sign and it was enough to flip me. I went through the hedge and ended upside down in a broke full of stagnant freezing water. Someone was looking down on me that night as i escaped with nothing more that cuts down my arms from smashing the drivers window to get out. i ended up rebuilding it and sold it as a track car.

So there is the history now here is the question.
I love the close friendly community of Scooby owners and i would love to know if there are any track days arranged for the new year where i can bring my car ? and possibly further more would there be anyone out there that would be willing to take me round and give me some tuition/tips on the techniques of driving such a powerful vehicle. (i would be willing to pay for this persons time)

I must finish this question with a statement. Please don’t read this and assume i am a boy racer with no respect for power or speed. I am 29 and way past my boy racer stage (not sure i ever really had one) I have been flying gliders for 4+ years so i am no stranger to situations requiring fast reactions. I have since taken lessons on skid pans to try to educate myself and i have not just run out after the off and purchased another Scooby. I have only entered into this new purchase after considerable thought and i consider myself somewhat older and more experienced and i want to know that if a situation presents itself again i would have done everything in my power to prepare myself for it.

i am not looking for new ways to drive fast on public roads, i just want to see the car pushed to its limits in a safe environment to see how to handle it. and all being well once up to a safe level become a regular at track days and events.

So .... happy to be back guys and i look forward to meeting some of you in the new year. Have a wonderful Christmas and a safe new year

Regards
Pete