Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

MY05 STI STRANGE FEELING !!

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 10:01 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 STI STRANGE FEELING !!

Just got an sti with ppp and it's the 05 model with the wider wheel track . Have noticed that when on a sweeping long bend at about 60mph to 80 with the diff set on auto , if you keep the steering wheel still and slightly ease off the throttle the front of the car slightly drifts out and ease back on and it pulls in . Is this normal as i had a wrx before and did'nt get this .
Old 27 February 2006, 11:45 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

yeah when you accelerate, the front lifts changing the geometry of the steering angle. If you are describing the same thing as I am thinking.... this is normal in the 01+'s wrx
Old 28 February 2006, 09:26 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The new STI's have front LSD's which I think would count for the different behaviour your seeing.
Old 28 February 2006, 11:19 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scuba_doo
Just got an sti with ppp and it's the 05 model with the wider wheel track . Have noticed that when on a sweeping long bend at about 60mph to 80 with the diff set on auto , if you keep the steering wheel still and slightly ease off the throttle the front of the car slightly drifts out and ease back on and it pulls in . Is this normal as i had a wrx before and did'nt get this .
This is strange - I have exactly the same car yet on a sweeping bend, if I ease off the throttle the line tightens slightly not drifts?

To me this makes more sense than what you describe (due to weight shift etc).
confused
Old 28 February 2006, 12:07 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

4 wheel drive car remember - the wheels need to be powered to "pull" it round the corner and generate the effect of cetripetal force (note not centrifugal).

So in this case the car is being pushed outwards by centrifugal force at 60-80 but the pull inwards is being generated from the wheels on the tarmac. When you ease off the centripetal force is decreased and you experience more pull outwards. When you step on the gas again teh wheels start getting the force back and pull the car inwards.

Probs wont happen at other speeds as much as the balance of the forces must be quite close around this level.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Rich
Old 28 February 2006, 06:30 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Tried it again today on a slight long left hand bend on the motorway at 70mph , if you ease off you feel as if the back end just slightly sways to the right and ease back on did'nt notice anything this time , can feel it more when easing off the throttle. Tried moving the diff control towards the rear and was still the same , it does it on a left bend as well , you notice it more if feathering the throttle on and off on a long corner , had a wrx bug eye before and had not felt this . was'nt sure if it was anything to do with the suretrac diffs or if there is anything wrong with the car .
Thanks for any help .
Old 01 March 2006, 07:48 AM
badgerbell
Scooby Regular

just running mine in, so i'll have to go out and investigate this

Tell you what i have noticed. Keeping it below 4000rpm is pants when you blast it around twisty roads talk about short shift.

scuba_doo - you running yours in ?

and did you get the PPP right from the beginning, as i'm thinking about it at the 1000m service.
Bl**dy quiet these STi's as standard.
Old 01 March 2006, 06:57 PM
rs2drew
Scooby Regular

would this be the same feeling i em getting then,same car only my car feels like the back end twitches after hard acceleration,as soon as i let off the revs to change gear the back end seems to wobble,is this normal????the car has only done 3500 miles had the geometry checked and all was spot on??
Old 02 March 2006, 07:42 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rs2drew
would this be the same feeling i em getting then,same car only my car feels like the back end twitches after hard acceleration,as soon as i let off the revs to change gear the back end seems to wobble,is this normal????the car has only done 3500 miles had the geometry checked and all was spot on??
Sounds very similar to what i have if you've accelerated hard in 4 or 5 on a slight bend and you ease off it's very prominate , but at a cruising speed again on a slight long bend on and off the throttle it's still there , had rang subaru dealer in cardiff , he said to call down and they'd test it in case one of the diffs was playing up .
Old 02 March 2006, 07:50 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badgerbell
just running mine in, so i'll have to go out and investigate this

Tell you what i have noticed. Keeping it below 4000rpm is pants when you blast it around twisty roads talk about short shift.

scuba_doo - you running yours in ?

and did you get the PPP right from the beginning, as i'm thinking about it at the 1000m service.
Bl**dy quiet these STi's as standard.
No it's got 5k on it so not nursing it ! , I'm second owner so ppp was fitted i believe at pdi , exhaust note does'nt appear to have the same deep burble as my bug eye wrx had , but may try putting my magnex ss on in place of the prodrive rear box , if performance drops then i'll swop back . With the prodrive exhaust on when you floor it there's a hell of a roar from the exhaust but rest of the time it's quiet !
Old 02 March 2006, 08:01 PM
badgerbell
Scooby Regular

With the prodrive exhaust on when you floor it there's a hell of a roar from the exhaust but rest of the time it's quiet
that'll do for me then.

DaveW - The new STI's have front LSD's which I think would count for the different behaviour your seeing.
i take it thats the horrible scrabble i get when i'm on full lock turning round in my street(3 point turn like)
Old 02 March 2006, 08:10 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Just had a reply from another guy in the general forum that say's if that's happening then your diffs are working ! so that'll do for me then , just got to learn how to play with the diff setting's now !! Cheers all