Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Help.....Handbreaking????

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 10:51 AM
S3BARU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help.....Handbreaking????

Last night I had the use of my Mum n Dads Golf GTi Mk3, as they have gone away. and i was just getting used to drivin something with a bit of power, as i dont have a scooby yet , i was having a laugh going round islands fast no through nifty little bits of road, n overtaking etc, ..... but for the life of me i could get it sliding round a corner, i tried everything, i put it in 2nd gear slowed down a bit, then put my fut down n fliked the handbreak, but nothing!!!!

i can handbreak it in car parks, but it isnt a controlled handbreak turn.

can anyone of you scooby experts tell me how i would do a handbreak rounda 90 degree corner

Thanks

Chris
Old 18 January 2005, 11:32 AM
jonah-ra
Scooby Regular

With out a lot of practice 90 degree handbraking is quite hard in the sense that you only use the handbrake to unsettle the car and get it facing the correct direction and use the power of the car to drag the car out of the slide. Where as what you would probably consider a normal handbrake as 180 degrees until the car comes to a complete stop. The easyest way I find is to use alot of speed unsettle car by turning steering wheel the wrong way then the right way with the handbrake, as the car slides off handbrake and power to drag you out of the slide.

To get sideways on roundabouts and things, use lift of oversteer!!
Old 19 January 2005, 12:13 AM
bluep
Scooby Regular

Approach the 90 corner eg if it is to the left move to the middle of the road.Apply h,brake about 5 metres from end of road(no more than 10-15 mph).Jerk wheel to right as hbrake is applied then lock left realeasing hbrake as back end brakes traction EASE steering of and apply light acceleration when coming round or you will spin out or worse still hit opposite side of road.This takes lots of confidence and skill,and without sounding boring its better doing it with cones in a car park and not wrecking someone elses car or worse an on coming car.
Old 19 January 2005, 08:35 AM
jonah-ra
Scooby Regular

no disresepect, but I would be very suprised if the handbrake will lock up in a straight line and 10-15 mph would be enough to turn the car. I've got some footage from my in-car rallycar video, I'll see if i can find it at home and post it up.

Have a look on www.rallyquest.co.uk for a taster, although he usually only shows the *****-ups.

Jonah
Old 19 January 2005, 10:02 AM
S3BARU
Scooby Regular

i have been approachin at about 20mph+, and then just letting rip with the accelerator and hand break at the hame time whilst travelling through the corners, ive just been doing it into side roads in the area i live, so theres nothis about, no not many lamp posts so its quite safe.

i told my mate what i did y-day, n he tried it in his 206, n he did it no probs...

must just be me
Old 19 January 2005, 01:31 PM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy I dont believe im reading this!!!

Wot the F**k!!

Go to a track day or something.
Old 19 January 2005, 02:44 PM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Angry PRIVATE MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM S3BARU

Go F**k Yourself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go F**k yourself!! i didnt ask for your weasley excuse of an opinion

What can i say!!!

Is this the kind of people on this site now!!!!!

This is the kind of person who gives everybody else a bad name!!!!

Stick to your Nova when youve finished with mummies car!!!

If you cant take bad comments then you shouldnt post such stupid posts.
Old 19 January 2005, 03:50 PM
sbkrider
Scooby Newbie

Someone who shouldn't be allowed on the road obviously. However, steering, clutch and handbrake at the same time, and it should go round a piece of pi$$.
Also, don't drive your dads car like a ****
Old 19 January 2005, 11:58 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Might be the car of course. Some modern cars with disc brake rears have really pathetic handbrakes that would struggle to break traction in the wet. With drum brakes the footbrake is not as good as discs but often the handbrake is far superior. If your mates 206 had drum brakes (I'm not hot on 206's, I know the GTi's have discs but not sure about others) then that could explain it.

Find some grass somewhere, a field or somewhere, for practice. You can get the feel for what the handbrake does at 5mph far easier than on tarmac (and you don't get the holier than thou comments then). Or snow of course, a big empty superstore car park covered in snow is one of the best things ever.
Old 23 January 2005, 01:59 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It's terrible that all these young people are going rond breaking their hands.
Old 23 January 2005, 10:23 AM
xvw
Scooby Regular

try left foot braking
keep throttle hard pressed stamp on and off brake whilst steering,
this should get you sliding
Old 23 January 2005, 12:36 PM
acf8181
Scooby Regular

i have a mkIII golf vr6, i've also driven most mkIII golfs inc the gti...presuming its an 8v its not fast by the way (small nigling point).

anyway...the reason you can't get it to go sideways is that you are full on the throttle. when you're full on the throttle the centre of gravity is pushed rearwards, onto the rear tyres, thus giving them more grip so they won't slide as easily. you need to get it moving sideways before you apply throttle (but do it quick once it starts to go or you''ll swap ends).

on the other hand, it could be that the calipers on the car aren't in good shape...i have this on one of the calipers on my vr6, it would potentially do a handbrake turn one way, but not the other way. having said that, i'm a bit older now so not inclined to do stuff like this.

now to the moral side...if you find a huge deserted car park with no one around i can't see theres any harm in having a bit of a play really. but if you do it on normal roads, and the cops see you then you can forget about getting a scooby for a long time. plus, however much room you think you have if you screw it up you'll find the only thing to hit....ask my mate who lost it doing a handbrake turn and took out another mates parked car...not cool.
Old 25 January 2005, 10:06 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Or snow of course, a big empty superstore car park covered in snow is one of the best things ever.
....until you find a 1" kerb completely hidden by the snow!! I did that on foot once and went completely flying, imagine what it would do to your wheels/suspension if you hit one whilst going sideways?
Old 25 January 2005, 10:18 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

left foot braking will set it up perfectly for bends but takes plenty of practice so don't expect instant results cos it''ll take a while to suss out how much pressure to apply to the brake but once you've sussed it its excellent apart from the smell of cooking brakes!!
Old 03 February 2005, 01:58 AM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

I'd like to add a little piece to this. S3baru, you are accelerating just at the moment you want to start to handbreak. That is exactly the opposite of what you should be doing. The handbreak manoever, is a form of oversteer. In a Golf, if you turn and hammer the throttle understeer is the only thing that will result. What you want to do, is either the "scandinavian flick" as detailed above (the one where you flip the steering wheel one side and then the other) or a propper handbreak turn, with lift-off understeer. Accelerate, then turn and let go of the pedal at the same time. This should make all the car's weight fall forward, thus lightening the load on the rear. This should be enough to get your tail out more than you're used to. This is lift-off oversteer. If you manage to get used to that, you can exagerate it by slightly yanking on the break *at the begining of the manoever* just so the wheels break traction. Mind, the handbreak should then be let go, and the accelerator pressed, or else you will come to a halt. Remember, unless the wheels are already slightly sideways, handbreaking will only slow you down. The handbreak is not used to initiate any manoever.

And don't be harsh with your parent's car. Handbreaking ruins the rear tyres and can make your hadbreak cable loosen.
Old 07 February 2005, 10:03 PM
youngowner
Scooby Newbie

well i had a little scary moment the other night in my 1.4 honda civic

i was aproaching a fairly wide 90* corner and dropped it into sec turned a little sharper then i needed while accelerating and let off the accelerator and back on ... the result? the back end about 45* to the exit of the corner then powered it striaght and me a little shakey but very big grin lol

no use of brakes but you gotta come in pretty fast to get it sliding in this way

hope this may help a little

Last edited by youngowner; 07 February 2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07 February 2005, 10:53 PM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

All i can see from this thread is his poor mum n dads golf buried in some hedgerow somewere
IT WILL ALL END IN TEARS!!!!!!
left foot braking is purly for the track or stage I once witnessed a wrote off nissan cherry that didnt have the power to pull much over 70 rolled in a ball because the novice driver tried to left foot brake on a corner that you could have driven flat out 90+mph
most of the time it will slow you down as the car your driving hasnt the power to compensate for the braking efect
a fact once stated by Gwyndaf Evans after stepping out of a works ibiza into a ibiza cup car
far better to perfect your lines if you want to go quick

IMHO

Darbo
Old 08 February 2005, 10:48 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Youngowner thats called lift-off oversteer. While youre accelerating weight's on the rear tyres, so as you start to turn, the car is ballanced with more weight onthe back. When you lift-off the gas mid-turn, the weight shifts forward and the (now lightened)rear wheels find themselves unable to maintain the corner speed. Hence you oversteer.

Darbo, I agree that left-foot breaking is best left to those who have the tracktime and skill to use it. Besides, the vehicles we are talking about are so underpowered that any kind of effective breaking will just slow you down.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:20 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

Darbo, I agree that left-foot breaking is best left to those who have the tracktime and skill to use it. Besides, the vehicles we are talking about are so underpowered that any kind of effective breaking will just slow you down.[/QUOTE]

totally disagree with this comment, i've got a peugeot 205 gti that i use for road/stage rallies and always left foot brake it to help set the car up, left foot braking basically makes a front wheel drive car drive like a rear wheel drive, on a loose surface you'll drive loads quicker left foot braking.
Old 09 February 2005, 07:08 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break.....as in weekend Break or breakfast

Brake.....as disc brake, handbrake etc

OK....

Education is wasted on the young....

Go on a Rally School to learn how to do a handbrake turn.
Old 09 February 2005, 12:24 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Go buy a DVD called "Burning Rubber" made by Tiff Needell, he explains how do it (using a Ford Puma I believe)

Although I'm pretty sure your parents wouldn't be over the moon if they find out you've been trying stuff like this out in their car. Especially as I suspect you're only insured 3rd party F&T on it...if at all.
Old 19 February 2005, 01:34 AM
Sparkymini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jeff Wiltshire
Break.....as in weekend Break or breakfast

Brake.....as disc brake, handbrake etc

OK....

Education is wasted on the young....

Go on a Rally School to learn how to do a handbrake turn.
he he

or just buy yourself a nova and learn on that i'm sure that mummy and daddy will give you the money!!
Old 19 February 2005, 08:28 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Hope you were insured on the golf!!! Getting a bit fed with people telling me that they have no insurance, then theres me paying £1600!

Last edited by Gear Head; 20 February 2005 at 10:40 AM.