Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

RWD Impreza handling characteristic

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2004, 06:36 PM
N1 SPAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD Impreza handling characteristic

Just been reading about the sideways challenge and one chap entered in his converted RWD Impreza station wagon. Also noticed an ad in the back of EVO for the convertion.

What I want to know is the following:

1) does a rwd impreza keep the same characteristics as a 4x4, meaning, does LFB still have the same effect

2) does it affect braking performance

3) on an even throttle are balance and grip levels going to be the same

I would consider having this done if it basically keeps the cars dynamics the same but allows you to light the rear tyres up on demand!!

Does anyone know how it works too? I know it changes the centre diff but are all drive shafts etc left in place, if so, how is there not a load of mechanical drag?

How do you think this would compare to say a S14 200 sx as a drift car?

Any replies welcome.

Cheers
Old 18 October 2004, 02:21 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Hey N1,

I know someone who has performed the conversion in Australia. He loves it and basically removed something from the front diff... I think he also snapped something in the rear as it wasnt designed for the torque he was running.

As far as handling, I would definitely say the slow in fast out approach no longer holds, you'd probably change the geometry altogether and look at more suspension travel in the rear to compensate for the tail happy nature.

If you want, I'll let the guy know and see if I can get you two talking

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/viewt...&highlight=rwd look for tracka, as well as the article on how its done.

Last edited by prana; 18 October 2004 at 02:24 AM.
Old 18 October 2004, 02:21 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Talking

The people to talk to about this conversion is option motorsport @ silverstone as they are the only people to my knowledge at the mo that do this conversion oh and it aint cheap

If you think about it you should know the answers to most of the questions you asked

Yesit does completely allter the characteristics of the car It would just be like driving a rear wheel drive car like a 200

If you still want to keep the characteristics of your scoob and be able to light the rears up and such stuff yu can do in a rear wheel drive car then you a gearbox with a DCCD then wait for scoobysport to finish there box f tricks too

Then you will have the best of both worlds
Old 19 October 2004, 12:46 PM
N1 SPAN
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I should stick with plan a and just buy a nissan aswell!