Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY01 Engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2002, 02:00 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a full scoobysport system inc downpipe and ITG filter.

What else can I do for a safe increase in performance.

I am upgrading suspension and brakes a little and I want more power too.
Old 28 May 2002, 04:11 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Can I be the first to suggest the obvious PPP route. The major downside is that you'd have to put the standard exhaust back on first.

If that is not am option, what a bout a boost ontroller - Dawes?

Steve
Old 28 May 2002, 10:27 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Assuming you don't want to shell out for a PPP given that these days it is not even a proper ECU remap...

Caveat: I haven't tried any of these yet, but my car is effectively the same spec as yours and these are the options I'm considering

First stop, up-pipe, worth 10-15 bhp perhaps but more importantly...you have a cat in there as standard. There have been reports on I-club of high EGT's even on standard cars which is a bit worrying as a fried cat will cause potentially big damage, and there have been some cases where this has happened. I think even if just for safety you need to consider this. If you want to remain legal emissions-wise, you can fit a sports cat in the C/S.

If you are not particularly risk averse and have the will power not to turn the boost up too high, then you could try a boost controller. Obviously the Dawes is a good candidate here and seems to produce good results for a low cost but is known on the MY01 to generate the high levels of boost at part throttle that produce the up-pipe cat threatening high EGT's. For more sophistication if not effectiveness you could look at the electronic ones by HKS ar Apexi although I have heard they are a pig to fit and set up.

Next stop is ECU's I guess, the choice being the UniChip from PowerStation or PowerEngineering amongst others if you don't mind a piggy back, or the Link has now been signed off for the MY01 available from Bob Rawle Developments, Scoobymania and I believe soon Scoobysport too, and again I am sure others. The final piece in the jigsaw is the work the EcuTek boys are doing on remapping the standard MY01 Ecu. The advantage this has is you retain the standard cold start etc maps, plus the diagnostics will work correctly on the Select Monitor (even the PPP will report the wrong boost). The down sign is it has not been finished yet, nor are there are any firm dates for its availablity. I have been quoted a couple of months, but have seen John Banks state they are working on it over the summer.

There is also a kit from APS that is probably more than you had in mind (2.5k I think) which includes IIRC turbo back exhaust system, induction kit, upgraded intercooler and water spray and Unichip.

Litchfield imports also do a kit but I've got no idea what it includes.

I personnally am probably going to do the up-pipe then one of the Link or EcuTek. The dilemma is that the Link is available now, whereas who knows when the MY01 will finally hit the streets. To my mind the EcuTek would have considerable advantages over the Link, maybe Link afficionados can show me differently?

I am sure there are other options I am unaware of or have forgotten, but I hope this helps.

Simon

[Edited by simes - 5/28/2002 10:29:25 PM]
Old 28 May 2002, 11:44 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

the dawes device is rumoured to cause high EGT's and that extra heat could, theoretically, cause the up-pipe cat to disintegrate and get blown through the turbo.

I have read up extensively on this subject, mainly on i-club, but have yet to come across anyone that it's happened to- although i'm always prepared to be corrected.

The fact is that many people across the world are now using the dawes device on th MY01 and are incredibly happy with the results. I have had one on my car for about six months now and the transformation- for under £70- is phenominal.

However, some level of self control is required. Obviously if you get greedy with boost you may get problems. 17psi seems to be about the max, as fuel cut is 17.5psi.

Just as a point of interest- there is a school of thought that says no up-pipe cat, no EGT issues.

I would always recommend an AFR meter and an EGT gauge, as well as, obviously, a boost gauge.

You can read more on the dawes faq http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=66934

hope this helps,
simon
www.scoobessential.com
Old 29 May 2002, 12:09 AM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Simon

I too have not heard of anyone frying the up-pipe cat with a Dawes.

But I have heard stories of failures in the cat due to high EGT's, and also stories of high EGT's with Dawes devices in MY01's due to high boost at part throttle.

I have also heard of high EGT's in standard cars, admittedly in track conditions.

Therefore for safety I personally would recommend a catless up-pipe before seeking more power.

I'm sure Mr Banks may be able to enlighten us some more

Simon