Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How do I know

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 10:38 AM
monkey_boy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Don't know if ppl read the other post, but I have a Subaru turbo engine in a bug, I'm led to believe that it has come from a Impreza turbo - but I'm not sure now. All the parts I have ordered for it are from an impreza, from the wastegate solenoid and wiring loom to the hotwire... the engine runs fairly well apart from cutting out at idle when warm.

The main question is --> how can I tell which engine I have - is there a way to tell by engine number?

The cutting out problem - the hose that comes from the turbo and connects to the charge cooler didn't have any form of clamp on it so I assume that the resulting airleak here would be a possible cause? Also the charge cooler system wasn't setup and was running from the heater matrix. Could the hot intake temp be part of the problem?

Cheers for the help so far!

Dave
Old 24 May 2002, 11:46 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

The charge cooler is meant to cooler the intake, but your engine will be heating it up to around 90degC. Not good.

If the clamp is missing from the turbo to intercooler pipe, you may be getting air pulled in, causing lean running at idle. You will definitely be losing boost on full throttle.

I would also give the idle speed control valve a thorough clean out. Pull the feed pipe off and squirt a can of carb cleaner into the valve, with the ngine running at around 2,000 rpm. Vary the revs a bit so that the valve moves during cleaning.
Old 24 May 2002, 01:06 PM
monkey_boy
Scooby Newbie

Cheers pete - which is the pipe i need to pull off the engine to clean - it'll be a couple of weeks as I killed the transmission case - and am having the internals swapped and it beefed up a bit

Old 24 May 2002, 01:40 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Follow the large rubber pipe off the idle speed control and pull off the other end.