Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Advice on fitting oil temperature thingy?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2002, 04:24 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thinking of getting an oil temp gauge & after dealer telling me it was a right pain 2 do & checking out chiarks fine site oil temp i see scoobymania seem 2 do the sump bung modified 4 temp bit if u get gauge from them
Just wondered how much this ud b & any alternatives if u didn't get gauge from em er & any other tips while we're here
Ta
Si
Old 11 May 2002, 07:19 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Si, I got an adaptor made up at Speedflow to go in above the No 3 piston. You can buy one from Subaru dealer but it converts from M18x1.5 male, to 1/8" BSPP female whereas the Speedflow one I got made goes from M18x1.5 male to 1/8" NPT female. A lot of the gauge senders are 1/8" NPT male, and they don't quite fit the BSPP fitting.

I've got the Subaru part, but couldn't find a BSPP to NPT adaptor that would take the sender so I got the bit that goes in the engine block made up. Think it cost just under 7 quid.

I think either location should sort you out, I've spoken to Mike Tuckwood about this before. It's a possible alternative to the sump position.
Old 11 May 2002, 07:35 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think above number three is the best place because it's probably likely to be the place where the temps are the highest. Also it's tucked nicely out of the way....wouldn't want a service money to break the sump bung plug whilst changing the oil......

Matt