Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is my gearbox on the way out?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2012, 12:44 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my gearbox on the way out?

I think I know the answer, but anyway... Got a hawkeye wrx on the standard 5 speed, but running 340bhp, 350 ftlbs. I know the (original) clutch needs changing, at the last map it was slipping quite badly. Plenty of meat on it, but can't handle the torque. At a service last year I was told the gearbox was getting a bit noisy, then today I noticed a new noise. Putting my foot down in 5th between 3000-4000 rpm got a loud rattle coming from the mid-front of the car. Didn't happen with light throttle, at other parts of the rev range, or in other gears. I'm guessing fifth is getting ready to give up on me, and the torque surge with an open throttle between 3-4k is straining it But, before springing for some major work I thought I'd see if anyone had any other (cheaper!) ideas as to what it might be

Cheers

Dai
Old 15 August 2012, 08:05 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

when clutches start to wear its important that you get the clutch changed ASAP or the knock on affect is to start chewing up gears because of the increased torque that is not being held by the worn clutch and putting the strain on the box my first port of call would be to get a uprated clutch.can you still engage all the gears? Maybe check the gearbox oil for level and quality and change for a better quality oil while changing the clutch.my wife has blown a couple of gearboxes up and usually they start with the whining noises then hard to engage gears then gear completely gone.all the best with your investigations.

Last edited by stonejedi; 15 August 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 23 August 2012, 12:09 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, that sounds about right. It has been getting harder to change gears, what was a very rare crunch when changing is now up to occasional, still a bit of life yet I think but I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a six speed conversion with appropriate clutch & flywheel from API. Looking forward to the extra gear, not so much to the credit card bill!
Old 23 August 2012, 11:01 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We should have that for you later next week Dai, we are just going through the box now before re-assembling it ready to fit.

Good Choice!

And thanks for your custom. David APi
Old 23 August 2012, 11:11 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by daijones
Cheers mate, that sounds about right. It has been getting harder to change gears, what was a very rare crunch when changing is now up to occasional, still a bit of life yet I think but I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a six speed conversion with appropriate clutch & flywheel from API. Looking forward to the extra gear, not so much to the credit card bill!
Good on you bruv that's the way to go, at least it would be more then capable for future power upgrades
Old 26 August 2012, 10:11 AM
ukpaisley
Scooby Regular

I would like a drive - drive out conversion !, can I ask how much ?