Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Are these the correct REAR DIFF Bolts??

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2012, 08:12 PM
-=[ToP_ScaFF]=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Are these the correct REAR DIFF Bolts??

Evening all,

Just trying to find out if anyone can confirm for me if the bolts I have for my 6 speed conversion are the correct ones for holding the rear of the diff to the rear subframe...?

Obviously this is where they're going:-

Having a mare lining the holes up with the subframe when jacking the diff up but have got them bang on a couple of times, but when trying to start the bolts they literally only just bite and then I can't wind them in, don't want to be too forcefull with a gun just yet incase they're wrong and wreck the thread inside!..

(2004 STI 6 Speed Box, Diff, Propshaft, Rear Subframe,Driveshafts & Hubs is the setup if that helps)

Any help or info would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael.
Old 19 August 2012, 01:44 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way to fit the diff is to fit it into the subframe before you fit the shafts. If your trying to do it with the shafts in the hubs your making your life very hard.
I would suggest pulling the long pin out the bottom of the hub on both sides and release the lateral arms. Then pop the shafts out of the diff and remove them fully from the diff.
Then fit the studs to the diff and tighten them into the diff. Fit the diff to the subframe and T- cradle and tighten everything up. Then fit the shafts back into the diff replace pins in hubs and tighten everything. The bolts you have look correct for the diff.

Last edited by Arch; 19 August 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 19 August 2012, 05:03 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What bolts are they off of? You will need to use the ones from the original diff as the new age has different bolts, i found it easier to put the studs in and lift the dif at an angle to get the studs through the holes, its much easier leaving the shafts in the hubs as trying to remove the big lateral bold can sonetimes rip the insides out the bushies.
Old 19 August 2012, 05:30 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Looks as if you need to clean the external threads up and remove the nuts from the studs to give you a better chance of fitting.

Have you tried the studs in the diff casing to see if the same thread before trying to line it up in the carrier?

Old 20 August 2012, 12:44 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newage and classic are the same thread, depending on diff carrier they may be longer but that will be obvious as soon as it is in place but those bolts will fit that diff carrier but you will as mentioned need to remove nuts and use some wd40 on the threads. Use two nuts on each bolt to tighten the studs into the diff.