Question about V5 Type R rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2012, 10:13 PM
KlaytonSport
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about V5 Type R rear diff

Hi guys

Does anyone know what type of LSD the rear diff from a V5 type r is?

On the track I have the problem that when the inner rear wheel is lifted, it is spinning and no power is transmitted.

Can I do anything to solve this? (other LSD?)

Thanks.

Michael
Old 05 June 2012, 08:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a plated R180 diff, who makes it I dont know but that sounds normal, wheel off the ground, no power to it, thats what they are meant to do.

Tony
Old 05 June 2012, 10:13 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Its a plated R180 diff, who makes it I dont know but that sounds normal, wheel off the ground, no power to it, thats what they are meant to do.

Tony
On the contrary Tony, a plated diff ought [ ought ] to drive with one wheel lifted. A viscous will slip. lt sounds like the plated has lost its tension after many road miles [ and corners ] and needs resetting. Unfortunately with the diff being in Switzerland there is limited [ sorry ! ] help l can offer.

Of course it may not be the original plated LSD too, there's a thought.

But we rebuild and reset them all the time.

David APi
Old 05 June 2012, 11:02 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack guys but does the type r have a centre and front LSD aswell? What about the newage 6 speed running gear?
Old 06 June 2012, 11:49 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Well; a type R STI will have dccd in the centre . WRX type R has it as an option rather than original fit.

Front LSD is also an option on 5 speed cars and is usually viscous as Plated needs to be very loose or the car gets very torque-steer-y. Some cars have a helical option fitted and they are generally better.

6 speed parts; front viscous or helical Lsd's will not fit [ easily ] into a 5 speed case. 6 speed have a front viscous [ Suretrack ] up til 2005 and then helical after. They all seem to work well in a 6 speed car, whereas doing the same to a 5 speed seems fraught with complications.

David APi
Old 06 June 2012, 08:23 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

So the 6 speed sti has a front, centre and rear lsd?

Just curious as when i was under a widetrack blobeye when it was up on ramps, you could turn one back wheel and the other side would move with you but this didnt happen with the front.

Are the quaife lsd's a good upgrade?
Old 07 June 2012, 09:26 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Adam-M
So the 6 speed sti has a front, centre and rear lsd?

Just curious as when i was under a widetrack blobeye when it was up on ramps, you could turn one back wheel and the other side would move with you but this didnt happen with the front.

Are the quaife lsd's a good upgrade?
It's a bit complicated making a statement about front LSD's on 6 speeder,with any certainty.

ALL Dccd type have a front lsd; maybe Suretrack [ viscous-ish ], maybe helical [ after 2005 ] but they all have it.

JDM bugs with viscous centre can have a Suretrack front- maybe its an option?, And some are open.

UK bugs are viscous centre and open front - without any option that I am aware of, to retro fit front LSD when buying or speccing the car. Ditto the early blobeye's pre dccd, open front diff.

That's the data we hold here and if anyone has any real proof of it being different I'd like to know. Not my mates one had it sort of thing....

Quaife ? Some people speak highly of them.

David APi
Old 07 June 2012, 08:21 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid

ALL Dccd type have a front lsd; maybe Suretrack [ viscous-ish ], maybe helical [ after 2005 ] but they all have it.

David APi
Cheers David, thats what i wanted to hear as DCCD is the only way i'd have one.

LOL another dumb question but what is the difference between a suretrack LSD and a Helical?
Old 08 June 2012, 10:56 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Suretrack is where a viscous centre exerts pressure on a set of friction plates. Helical is where a set of helical screw gears exerts pressure on a set of friction plates.

Helical is more positive in its action and less likely to lose pressure through wear and tear.

David